Green Pit Viper?

This little fellow fell out of a palm branch that I was collecting from the garden.

I've been told it's a Sumatran Green Pit Viper.

Can anyone confirm?

Trimeresurus sumatranus is a venomous pitviper species found in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Arboreal, its coloration is pale green with a red tail. Common names include Sumatran pitviper,[4]Sumatran tree viper,[5] and Sumatran pit viper.  (Wiki)

1943049811_sumatragreenpitviper1.thumb.jpg.8d28dada001c5821dca81669da3b76cd.jpg

697064870_sumatragreenpitviper2.thumb.jpg.e750069433dbb83b57dfc9118fb5a41c.jpg

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Possibly probably, but ours didn't have the black head markings, and had a more triangular-shaped head.

Neighbor (Korat outback) gave my wife the Thai name.

Agree with others, probably Golden Tree Snake, common and fairly harmless to humans.

Unless living way way way down south, you shouldn't run into any sumatran tree vipers, hopefully.

image.png.91c45d02280c6002140fc05282a45fb1.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agree with others, probably Golden Tree Snake, common and fairly harmless to humans.

Unless living way way way down south, you shouldn't run into any sumatran tree vipers, hopefully.

Thanks, I'll tell the boss.....................in a day or so.

For now she won't let me do yard work, too dangerous.

1mqtk0.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Thanks, I'll tell the boss.....................in a day or so.

For now she won't let me do yard work, too dangerous.

1mqtk0.jpg

Just make yourself known, as we had a few at the last house, and usually scurried away, till couple years there, then we got used to each other.  One would actually sun on the pad while I had my coffee, about 5m away.

Along with setting on top the waterfall sunning, and about 10m away.

image.png.f86fd24aac18f419882515118323760e.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

Some type of Whipsnake? Oriental Whip Snake? Very beautiful

Mildly venomous back teeth. Sometimes see them hanging out in our bamboo hedge, waiting to grab an unlucky little lizard.

https://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/snakes/oriental-whip-snake/

But it does look more likely to be a Green Tree Snake.

Edited by phetphet

2 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

I'd kill first, probably slice it in two or  three piece with my shovel, before any negotiation. The Putin way...

Most people actually get bitten trying to kill snakes with a shovel. usually on the ankle. They are lightning fast and a spitting Cobra will sort you out with a shot to they eyes before you have raised the shovel. Best leave these things alone as 90% of snakes in Thailand non venomous and a benefit to have around. I would love to see a Golden tree snake in my garden. Those on particular love rats, mice and especially Tukae ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

image.png.91c45d02280c6002140fc05282a45fb1.png

We have had them in the bananas up here.

golden tree snakes are fine, we had one in our other house, would take off if anyone went near it. Unfortunately it decided to stop in the pelmut cover over the sliding doors and when my MIL  opened the door it fell on her head, I found it in several pieces after all the screaming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Most people actually get bitten trying to kill snakes with a shovel. usually on the ankle. They are lightning fast and a spitting Cobra will sort you out with a shot to they eyes before you have raised the shovel. Best leave these things alone as 90% of snakes in Thailand non venomous and a benefit to have around. I would love to see a Golden tree snake in my garden. Those on particular love rats, mice and especially Tukae ????

Guess I [or my shovel]  am/is faster than light.  Met about half a dozen  of  things looking like this one, and won on every occasion.  My cat got one too, but it was puny.

Ok, for king cobras I'll borrow DIL's shot gun.

please-help-me-id-this-snake-found-in-thailand-buriram-my-v0-7bw3mqb0rdm91.pdf

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Best leave these things alone as 90% of snakes in Thailand non venomous and a benefit to have around. I would love to see a Golden tree snake in my garden. Those on particular love rats, mice and especially Tukae ????

Actually about 1/3 are venomous.

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Actually about 1/3 are venomous.

30% might have venom but nowhere near that are harmful to man in anyway. Venom is extremely mild or the snake has not delivery system. I think you will find your figures also include sea snakes. 50% of Thailands venomous snakes are in the ocean

• Haha 1