Aviva Taken Over By Msig, And Now Apparently Won't Pay...

Having posted before on my house burglery of Saturday 7th April, and the tales of woe in having been unable to get my visa replaced, in my newly issued passport, I now have to report that my house insurance which I took out with AVIVA are refusing to pay out on my claim.

I was aware that each item carried a maximum of 7,000 baht, and that jewellery, cash and documents would not be covered.

However, I had numerous other items stolen, including a lap-top, binoculars, iPOD, cordless telephone.... the list goes on. Practically everything they could carry!!

I reported the theft to my brokers, at the offices of the Observer in Hua Hin and they duly helped me file my claim, advising me that AVIVA had now been taken over by MSIG, a Japanese company I understand. However I was assured that they would honour my policy document on the same terms as I had taken out.

Now after months of waiting and many stressful phone calls, I have been offered the derisory sum of 6,000 Baht to cover a loss that must have easily cleared 100,000 Baht. I am aware that due to the restrictions on the policy regarding the maximum amount per item, and the other exclusions that I cannot expect to get all this back. However, even taking this in to account, I calculated that I should have received about 40-50,000 Baht for this claim.

When I asked them on what grounds they had made such a ridiculous offer, they said "any items that could be easily carried were not covered".

I am simply astonished by this outrageous statement. I am awaiting further communications with the manager, and will report any progress, but I wanted to post this and ask if anyone has any advice on how to tackle this?

In the U.K. I could report them to the Financial Ombudsman Service, as they are clearly breaching the terms of the policy document issued by AVIVA.

Is there any thing similar in Thailand? Or do I have to fork out more money on lawyers, and sue them?

I also wanted to warn ex-pats about this. If you think you are covered for burglery, check carefully - you may well be in for a nasty surprise if the worst happens. I feel like I've been robbed twice - their 6,000 baht offer is not even a refund of my premium!

:o

Sorry to hear of your loss. I noticed too that the company has changed. When I renewed the insurance for our truck in April (luckily that's the only thing insured with them), instead of the normal smooth service it took 3 months to get a simple renewal completed! Next year time for a change.

Told them ahead to get it done as I would be abroad when it expired - no response, called to check they had extended - they said they had (who knows if it was covered while I was away - me thinks not), came back assuming they had brought policy to home and it had been paid - no; called them over a period of 2 weeks - no one answers phone,;eventually they call leave a message with housekeeper and phone number (same number I've been trying to call), call them and 1 week later eventually someone answers phone. Ask them to bring policy and I will make sure someone at home to pay, make appointment don't turn up. Eventually 1 week later turn up with policy.

Then I notice it is no longer Aviva . Geez what a marathon for a piece of paper and a few thousand baht.