Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Is Phat Kaphrao worth a try?

KC1980

It's a common dish all around Thailand, if you order some, let them know the spicey level you prefer, also you can opt for a fried egg on top.

Pad krapow, kai dow.

Edited by bbko
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, KC1980 said:

Is Phat Kaphrao worth a try? - Let me know in the comments ????

IMG_2796.jpg.5322a2f322e1f335b3e924196ab1c3b5.jpg

Eaten it hundreds of times, both here and long before I moved here. Everyone I know eats it here, and most of my friends have back home also. Tell them Mai Pet if you don't like it too hot.

• Like 2

OP:

I'm almost positive those aren't bai grapao leaves in the picture. Looks more like baby collards, possibly some other green.

Key is the quality of the ingredients, especially the bai grapao leaves. When the plant gets older or has been stressed from heat, leaves are still usable, but can get a woody off taste. Quality of other ingredients is important too: cut of meat, type of cooking oil. Flavor comes from fragrance of bai grapao leaves, sautéed with red prik kii nu peppers, garlic, ginger. With high quality ingredients, hard to mess up because it's so simple. Served over a plate of fluffy par-boiled rice, it's a Thai classic. Unless you really can't tolerate spicy food, let the cook do his/her thing. Don't try to tinker with the spiciness, because it's all about the balance of the different flavors. One of my favorite dishes. Eat it at home fairly often.

18 minutes ago, Social Media said:

Love the stuff eat it atleast once a week. I tell them "mai si prik^ (no chilli).

And always "kai dow". I have it so regularly they dont even ask what I want or how I want it anymore. ????Gotta love village life.

If you don't have chilli its not phat khaphrao . It has to be spicy.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Absolutely. Ask any Thai if any of their deceased relatives ever ate Phat Graprao.

The answers will shock you !! Eat it and one day you will die like them.

Absolutely correct ????????

im wondering about OP’s next thread “Should I eat banana pancakes ?” Or “Should I drink the bottled water in my bar fridge ?”

????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KC1980 said:

Is Phat Kaphrao worth a try? - Let me know in the comments ????

IMG_2796.jpg.5322a2f322e1f335b3e924196ab1c3b5.jpg

if i could only eat one thai street dish for the rest of my life that would be it. needs a soft yolked fried egg on top though. That one also seems to have a serious dearth of chili. 

you can keep your tom yam, phad thai  and somtum thank you.

47 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

OP:

I'm almost positive those aren't bai grapao leaves in the picture. Looks more like baby collards, possibly some other green.

Key is the quality of the ingredients, especially the bai grapao leaves. When the plant gets older or has been stressed from heat, leaves are still usable, but can get a woody off taste. Quality of other ingredients is important too: cut of meat, type of cooking oil. Flavor comes from fragrance of bai grapao leaves, sautéed with red prik kii nu peppers, garlic, ginger. With high quality ingredients, hard to mess up because it's so simple. Served over a plate of fluffy par-boiled rice, it's a Thai classic. Unless you really can't tolerate spicy food, let the cook do his/her thing. Don't try to tinker with the spiciness, because it's all about the balance of the different flavors. One of my favorite dishes. Eat it at home fairly often.

pedant

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, surat04 said:

I agree.

I used to like a Pad Krapaow from time to time. But now I'm not allowed to eat spicy food very often. Like most Thai dishes, Pad Krapaow is bland and flavourless without the chillies. They don't only provide heat, they add a slight bitter-sweet flavour which is a vital component of pretty much any dish it's used in.

"Mai pet gor mai aroi". 

11 hours ago, surat04 said:

I've eaten it for many years before I even thought about coming here, and in the US, it tastes as good or better than here, mainly because the chefs are from here in those US restaurants. One chili, Mai Pet, is enough to have a good taste and some spice. The Thais have been adding more and more chilis over the generations where the subtle tastes of some food are lost to too much heat. They add without even tasting, because someone back when said more was better. It's not. Too much heat reduces your ability to taste the subtle flavors of food.

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I've eaten it for many years before I even thought about coming here, and in the US, it tastes as good or better than here, mainly because the chefs are from here in those US restaurants. One chili, Mai Pet, is enough to have a good taste and some spice. The Thais have been adding more and more chilis over the generations where the subtle tastes of some food are lost to too much heat. They add without even tasting, because someone back when said more was better. It's not. Too much heat reduces your ability to taste the subtle flavors of food.

For some it does. It depends on your tolerance for chilli.

I find all Thai food to be a bit one note, just throw everything on top of some raw meat in a wok and stir it about, everything in the pan tastes the same. This is why I prefer many dishes rather than "on rice" - one spicy dish, one sweet, some sour condiment, a soup with tofu, some vegetables.

The dish in the pic isn't Krapaow, looks like savory mince that my mum used to make us with a bisto cube.

15 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I find all Thai food to be a bit one note, just throw everything on top of some raw meat in a wok and stir it about, everything in the pan tastes the same. This is why I prefer many dishes rather than "on rice" - one spicy dish, one sweet, some sour condiment, a soup with tofu, some vegetables.

The dish in the pic isn't Krapaow, looks like savory mince that my mum used to make us with a bisto cube.

It's Pad Krapow. You can use chicken, beef, or pork, minced or in pieces. My girlfriend cooks it a variety of ways, as do I, and the restaurant right next to where she lives makes it, and it looks exactly like the picture.

38 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

For some it does. It depends on your tolerance for chilli.

It always deadens the tastes of food if you use more than a chili or two. They are so used to adding more here that they lose the true flavors, and subtle tastes of other condiments that are added. Too much chili will also hurt your stomach, as it has for not only me, but many here I've talked to, including my ex's family and now girlfriend. She can't stop adding it, even though it hurts her insides, and diarrhea is rampant here, from all the chili added. This is but one of many links that tells more.........https://www.eatthis.com/news-ugly-dangers-spicy-foods/