A Pattayan Goes To Malaysia, Part 1 Of 2

Weho

PURE CLASS, TROLLISM AT ITS FINEST, KEEP IT COMING!

I'm sorry that we're boring you. I took the liberty of searching for your topic postings, you know, to see what I was doing all wrong... you know, how to try to be more interesting... your topics on "Belgian Johnny", and the Nana hotel booking procedure were really gripping... to the point of being compelling. Now we all know where to look, so we can try to be more like you. You've obviously got your finger on the pulse of what people are interested in. You're the barometer of excitement. And most of your replies seem to relate to drinking and alcohol establishments... is there something you want to tell us? And your picture has what looks like are some cocktails in it... way to go! Setting a fine example.

I hope you'll start a new topic real soon. In the meantime, thanks for the attention by responding.

Maybe I'll start one called something like "how to get drunk in Pattaya".... would that be less trollistic to you? Honestly, I am pretty sure everyone who replied here, including yourself, did so voluntarily. I'm pretty sure no one was forced to reply here. I truly regret that we can't please you. If anyone WAS forced to reply here, please notify the authorities at once.

I'm now off to the breakfast buffet...

And please hurry back to start writing part 2.

A day without 'Weho' is like a day without sunshine. I'm looking forward everyday like having the first cup of coffee in the morning. :D

I never read the threads about 'Belgium Johnny' , nor am interest in booking Nana hotels, I choose whatever I want to read somethings that drew close to my heart. For someone who finds Weho's writings are not to your taste or liking, you may choose to pass on to the next thread. Please do not deprive all of us from enjoy his words. :o

His fighting for the cause; a matter of principle, makes me see him sometimes as an angel on my thread.

Thanks 'Weho' for doing a good deed for the community.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PURE CLASS, TROLLISM AT ITS FINEST, KEEP IT COMING!

I'm sorry that we're boring you. I took the liberty of searching for your topic postings, you know, to see what I was doing all wrong... you know, how to try to be more interesting... your topics on "Belgian Johnny", and the Nana hotel booking procedure were really gripping... to the point of being compelling. Now we all know where to look, so we can try to be more like you. You've obviously got your finger on the pulse of what people are interested in. You're the barometer of excitement. And most of your replies seem to relate to drinking and alcohol establishments... is there something you want to tell us? And your picture has what looks like are some cocktails in it... way to go! Setting a fine example.

I hope you'll start a new topic real soon. In the meantime, thanks for the attention by responding.

Maybe I'll start one called something like "how to get drunk in Pattaya".... would that be less trollistic to you? Honestly, I am pretty sure everyone who replied here, including yourself, did so voluntarily. I'm pretty sure no one was forced to reply here. I truly regret that we can't please you. If anyone WAS forced to reply here, please notify the authorities at once.

I'm now off to the breakfast buffet...

And please hurry back to start writing part 2.

A day without 'Weho' is like a day without sunshine. I'm looking forward everyday like having the first cup of coffee in the morning. :D

I never read the threads about 'Belgium Johnny' , nor am interest in booking Nana hotels, I choose whatever I want to read somethings that drew close to my heart. For someone who finds Weho's writings are not to your taste or liking, you may choose to pass on to the next thread. Please do not deprive all of us from enjoy his words. :o

His fighting for the cause; a matter of principle, makes me see him sometimes as an angel on my thread.

Thanks 'Weho' for doing a good deed for the community.

I'm just doing god's work. I make mother Teresa look like an egoist.

Yes, there will be a part 2... even if my detractors spew more venom. But give me a few days. I have to digest it all. There was a lot of pain involved.... especially when housekeeping refused to sell me four mis-priced bathmats, even though the prices were clearly written on the "amenities card" in the room. "We're not a store..." Puh-leese.

I have never been a fan of this type of campy, bitchy, gay style humour but must admit that I have gotten a chuckle from a few of Weho's past posts. Unfortunately in my opinion he bombed on this one but maybe Part 2 will be better :o .

I have never been a fan of this type of campy, bitchy, gay style humour but must admit that I have gotten a chuckle from a few of Weho's past posts.

Me too, i must admit i have read every one and find it all rather strange that i find myself taking an interest in someone so different from myself.

The guys obviously nuts but in this all to serious world a little humour can go a long way to passing these long days until my next holiday in Thailand and my plans to track down Belgian Jonny to have a skin full with and dance our way around the bars of Soi 7/8 ( maybe even shirtless ).

I even find myself drawn to Sizzlers, Foodland etc just incase i bump into this faux traveller we have all come to know and love as Weho.

Keep them coming mate!

He must have something because any one else would have been removed a long time ago for this type of drivel

Why? If you think that he should have already been removed, What has Weho done thats against the forum rules? Just because you dont enjoy his posts (Or do you, because it seems you keep reading them :o ) Doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

Put me in the Weho fan club...all you need is love.

How can anyone resist a story entitled "The Penang muffin thieves"...you crack me up :o

You have a brilliant phraseology in describing people's behaviour, and that is half the fun when you travel.

Part 2 please......

I've attached some pictures from my trip to Malaysia... hope the quality is OK...

First is from inside a crummy department store; then the beach; then proper beach attire for beach loungechair; 2 gals in the lobby (i think the one on the right and I had a brief "moment"); lastly, a sign that it's OK to endanger your child's life, as long as the parent is present for the danger.

I hope I have captured the true Langakawi and Penang here.

post-8654-1184409107_thumb.jpg

post-8654-1184409142_thumb.jpg

post-8654-1184409160_thumb.jpg

post-8654-1184409183_thumb.jpg

post-8654-1184409227_thumb.jpg

post-8654-1184409243_thumb.jpg

post-8654-1184409302_thumb.jpg

post-8654-1184409315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weho

By the way - do not take photos of ladies dressed like this when any male relative is around (theirs - not yours).

Can lead to very tense scenes as the local men do not take kindly to having some of their possessions photographed. But they will be more tolerant of this than if you photographed their car or pet camel, which are infinitely more precious than a wife or daughter.

By the way - do not take photos of ladies dressed like this when any male relative is around (theirs - not yours).

Can lead to very tense scenes as the local men do not take kindly to having some of their possessions photographed. But they will be more tolerant of this than if you photographed their car or pet camel, which are infinitely more precious than a wife or daughter.

I have had these types of confrontations a few times. I never ask first. I always respond that I am in a public place, and they are too. If they don't want to be photographed, they need to stay in their room. There are no restrictions or signs from the hotels that say there are any rules about photography. It wasn't like I was sneeking looking inside their room windows.

If someone's religion is that they don't want others to photograph them, then go practice that religion in a synagogue or church or mosque or wherever, where they have some CONTROL over who photographs them. They don't control ME in public places.

And yes, about two years ago, in Dubai, I got LOTS of pictures of people in two big shopping malls there. My favourite burkas are the blue ones they wear in Afghanistan, with the little screen over the eyes... that's hot!

I just find it MORE disrespectful to order someone NOT to take their picture in a public places, they don't control, THAN freely taking pictures in obvious PUBLIC places.

Nice pictures wheo.

Mark

Thank you for your kind words... I'm no Ansel Adams, but I think I've captured in just a few pictures, certainly a good part of what Malaysia is all about, and somewhere, I would like to think that a few photos adds some depth to a travelogue. I regret that I didn't get the guy from Kazakstan, but this picture, below, is sort of what he looked like, plus or minus a few hundred kilos. Just another hotel guest having a good time, (and providing his own shade at the same time). Looks like he's been to a few egg stations too!

post-8654-1184415443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weho

I have had these types of confrontations a few times. I never ask first. I always respond that I am in a public place, and they are too. If they don't want to be photographed, they need to stay in their room.

If someone's religion is that they don't want others to photograph them, then go practice that religion in a synagogue or church or mosque or wherever, where they have some CONTROL over who photographs them. They don't control ME in public places.

I just find it MORE disrespectful to order someone NOT to take their picture in a public places, they don't control, THAN freely taking pictures in obvious PUBLIC places.

Islam forbids the creating of the human image, as this is disrespectful to Allah (blessed be his name). The same restriction was at one time present in the Christian religion and, I believe, Judaism.

Very religious muslims in the Middle East, such as Wahabbi and similar sects, will not have any paintings or photographs in their houses or other places. Throughout Saudi one will find portraits of the King and his two eldest brothers in every office and shop, but not in the religious places. The art of the Arab is not portrait painting or sculpture, but calligraphy and abstract design on faience and other wall coverings. Same with carpets - animals OK, people - no.

Dubai is very cosmopolitan, one can get away with a lot there that would be frowned upon in Abu Dhabi and be an arrestable offence in Sharjah, for instance.

In Saudi you risk imprisonment, expulsion (maybe accompanied by a little flogging, if they feel like it). In Yemen you risk your life.

Please bear all this in mind - also bear in mind that Malaysia is a Muslim country. Peninsular Malaysia is more tolerant than Sarawak and the other parts that extend Eastward. Sharia law operates in all Malaysia - in Peninsular Malaysia it is restricted to Muslims. In Sarawak I believe it applies to everyone.

After all that - let me tell you that I love Malaysia. I have been many times and will go many more times.

I have had these types of confrontations a few times. I never ask first. I always respond that I am in a public place, and they are too. If they don't want to be photographed, they need to stay in their room.

Islam forbids the creating of the human image, as this is disrespectful to Allah (blessed be his name). The same restriction was at one time present in the Christian religion and, I believe, Judaism.

Very religious muslims in the Middle East, such as Wahabbi and similar sects, will not have any paintings or photographs in their houses or other places. Throughout Saudi one will find portraits of the King and his two eldest brothers in every office and shop, but not in the religious places. The art of the Arab is not portrait painting or sculpture, but calligraphy and abstract design on faience and other wall coverings. Same with carpets - animals OK, people - no.

Dubai is very cosmopolitan, one can get away with a lot there that would be frowned upon in Abu Dhabi and be an arrestable offence in Sharjah, for instance.

In Saudi you risk imprisonment, expulsion (maybe accompanied by a little flogging, if they feel like it). In Yemen you risk your life.

Please bear all this in mind - also bear in mind that Malaysia is a Muslim country. Peninsular Malaysia is more tolerant than Sarawak and the other parts that extend Eastward. Sharia law operates in all Malaysia - in Peninsular Malaysia it is restricted to Muslims. In Sarawak I believe it applies to everyone.

After all that - let me tell you that I love Malaysia. I have been many times and will go many more times.

But if you're taking a picture of someone in a BURKA, and all you can see are some beady eyes, is that really taking a picture of a PERSON? Eyes are NOT a person. Bottom line is if you don't want your picture taken, stay inside... and I see muslim people taking LOTS of pictures of eachother, including when the wife/mother/matriarch is in that burka thing. But when they pull out the photo album at home, and mama is there in the burka, and all you can see are those eyes, and sometimes you can't even see those, does it really bring back "memories" of the vacation?

But if you're taking a picture of someone in a BURKA, and all you can see are some beady eyes, is that really taking a picture of a PERSON? Eyes are NOT a person. Bottom line is if you don't want your picture taken, stay inside... and I see muslim people taking LOTS of pictures of eachother, including when the wife/mother/matriarch is in that burka thing. But when they pull out the photo album at home, and mama is there in the burka, and all you can see are those eyes, and sometimes you can't even see those, does it really bring back "memories" of the vacation?

I agree - it's weird. But it's their way of life and in Malaysia it is a Muslim state.

Homosexual acts are punishable by death. Drug trafficking is punished by death.

Theiving may result in a hand or foot being chopped off.

Selling short weight in a butcher's shop can result in a flogging.

Adultery is punishable by death.

In Iran I had one Brit working for me who spent a weekend in jail for taking photos (landscape, not portraits). He did not have a police permit.

What is judged to be a criminal act by the authorities may seem very arbitrary to us, but we are the visitors / guests. Malays are very tolerant when compared to most other majority Muslim nations.

And to give an example the opposite way round -- years ago I had a project to build a small port on the Red Sea for the saudi military. There was nothing there - just sand. So we started to set up our camp and one of my liaison men said that he had found a source of water for drinking.

We would later set up our own RO Desalination unit, but we needed water from Day 1.

The guy came to visit us and said he could deliver so many tanker-loads per day. We agreed a price and he started to deliver. He was a small chief of a small part of a Bedouin tribe, lived in a small oasis about 35km from our site.

bout a month later came the time to pay him. He invited me back to his oasis. I took my Saudi translator with me.

We arrived at the oasis - there was a plywood and cardboard 'shack' (quite large) and the guy was standing outside, waiting for us.

Takes us inside, proudly shows us his house (upgrade from tent, I suppose) and offers us tea and cake. We accept, of course.

His wife, about 23 or so, brings out the tea and cake. Which were very good.

She was dressed in jeans and a jumper, breast-feeding a small baby, both tits hanging right out.

In the house is one thing - out in the open everyone deserves respect.

agree with HB , Weho ,

worth remembering where you are so it doesn't surprise when it goes a up ...............

pick your battles mate .

I don't feel like taking on the entire muslim world to ease up on photography rights, even though I know I am right in PUBLIC places...

I'll pick battles like the ###### cutting into the egg station line at the hotel buffet... I always, ALWAYS win those... and airline armrest battles... I'm good at those too.

But I'm branching out too.

I don't feel like taking on the entire muslim world to ease up on photography rights, even though I know I am right in PUBLIC places...

And just who gave you that idea ? Uncle Sam ?

Fact of the matter is, it is their country, not yours. It is their rules that matter, not the rules you think they should follow.

Be glad that Malaysia (parts of it at least) is a little more tolerant than some other places. Some of those other places would see you getting beaten to death and the police/courts would consider it justified.

Keep it up though, and maybe we'll see you in the headlines one day. :o