Thai wife required to have work or Tabien Baan in province for marriage extension?

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Interesting.  I worked in Korat and changed to an extension based on marriage when I quit work  My wife's Tabien Baan was in Lamphun and she didn't work.  Maybe things have changed.  We've also renewed in Chiang Mai where we lived after I quit work permanently prior to moving to Lamphun Province <cue the theme to Green Acres>

maxresdefault.jpg.cd88f0b44c8309a58ff08b5cced7b07b.jpg

Go figure, right? But as seen here today, it looks like we were the victims of an over-zealous IO trying to scare us away for some reason. On the reverse, I guess it's possible they sometimes telegraph new rules with these behaviors.

Edited by sanooki
spelling

2 minutes ago, sherwood said:

The witnesses should not be related and have separate house books. You should be OK.

Cheers 

Oh, hmm. If they're not Ok with mother and daughter, I'll try to grab someone else. There's a security guard at the entrance to a shopping mall in our soi, who sees us everyday. Or, a neighbor. Thanks for the tip.

5 minutes ago, sanooki said:

Oh, hmm. If they're not Ok with mother and daughter, I'll try to grab someone else. There's a security guard at the entrance to a shopping mall in our soi, who sees us everyday. Or, a neighbor. Thanks for the tip.

Your welcome.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, sanooki said:

Go figure, right? But as seen here today, it looks like we were the victims of an over-zealous IO trying to scare us away for some reason. On the reverse, I guess it's possible they sometimes telegraph new rules with these behaviors.

Dude, they're not over zealous, they're looking for a bribe to smooth the application.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Dude, they're not over zealous, they're looking for a bribe to smooth the application.

Good point. I've heard of that, but I'm awful at reading the signs. I've never done it, and scared that if I do, but have read the signs incorrectly, that I'll be accused of attempted bribery, ha. Maybe that's why they looked disappointed as they were giving me back my passport with the "under consideration" stamp. Wow.

1 minute ago, sanooki said:

Good point. I've heard of that, but I'm awful at reading the signs. I've never done it, and scared that if I do, but have read the signs incorrectly, that I'll be accused of attempted bribery, ha. Maybe that's why they looked disappointed as they were giving me back my passport with the "under consideration" stamp. Wow.

Anyway, if you've got an 'under consideration' stamp, it's a done deal.

Nobody has ever reported a rejection after that stamp in the history of ThaiVISA (aka Aseannow).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody has ever reported a rejection after that stamp in the history of ThaiVISA (aka Aseannow).

There is still the home visit to overcome.

My wife expected me to pay them for their trouble, nothing asked for and nothing offered, only cold water.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That is music to my ears!

21 minutes ago, sherwood said:

My wife expected me to pay them for their trouble, nothing asked for and nothing offered, only cold water.

Yes, understood. We do have a couple bottles waiting in the fridge. Fingers crossed.

45 minutes ago, sherwood said:

My ex-gf had prepared all the marriage documents for us.

3 weeks later I married another Thai lady, using the documents the ex had procured.

2 weeks after the marriage I applied for a marriage extension.

My exs brother was the immigration officer that visited the house, he said I'll make sure this is refused.

Extension granted, he managed to delay the process by losing the application, so it took 8 weeks for the confirmation stamp. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My ex-gf had prepared all the marriage documents for us.

3 weeks later I married another Thai lady, using the documents the ex had procured.

2 weeks after the marriage I applied for a marriage extension.

My exs brother was the immigration officer that visited the house, he said I'll make sure this is refused.

Extension granted, he managed to delay the process by losing the application, so it took 8 weeks for the confirmation stamp. 

That is an interesting and unique story. I'm guessing you were a little worried then. But, very illustrative that optimism is warranted. Some cahonies there dude. :)

6 hours ago, sanooki said:

I think what was meant is the witnesses should not be related to you. As far as I know, there is no problem with them being related to each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I think what was meant is the witnesses should not be related to you. As far as I know, there is no problem with them being related to each other.

Oh, that's better than what I was reading it as. Perfect, thanks.

I haven't seen any mention in the OP of a TM28 or TM30 being submitted for the rental property in Korat advising a change of address to Korat Immigration. It is my understanding that if a change of address has not been notified to the Immigration Office that covers the new address that the extension must be done in the Province where the last officially notified address (TM30) is on record. Perhaps that is why you are having difficulty getting your extension.

23 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:
14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You do not need to be retired to have a retirement visa. Thai logic.

That is because it is not a "retirement" visa or extension, it is solely based on being over 50

And calling it what it is, an Over 50 visa/extension, is far too logical. Let's call it something it isn't instead.

17 hours ago, sanooki said:

they did accept the application already, at the end of all the discussion. If declined, they say I couldn't apply for a marriage extension again.

I think it will be OK, they don't normally do a house visit, without the application being accepted.

Now sit on the bed together and smile for their Photos. :giggle:

19 hours ago, sanooki said:

I wonder if that would apply to an app made outside Thailand for a new marriage visa?

No it won't.

You may well need a new visa. Unless I have missed it you haven't said what type of visa you have been using to get previous extensions. If you have been using type B then Korat may have taken the view that you cannot extend that visa type to marriage. It is an office interpretation and happened to me a few years back. People on here said immigration was wrong but the visa office in MFA said they were right.

If however your last visa was Non O marriage then there shouldn't be any problem.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I haven't seen any mention in the OP of a TM28 or TM30 being submitted for the rental property in Korat advising a change of address to Korat Immigration. It is my understanding that if a change of address has not been notified to the Immigration Office that covers the new address that the extension must be done in the Province where the last officially notified address (TM30) is on record. Perhaps that is why you are having difficulty getting your extension.

Hi, thanks, appreciate the thought. However, we did report to Korat imm. immediately (within one day) upon finishing our move here last year. We haven't moved since. At the time we were making our app, I was also speculating that they hadn't checked their own records yet, because they quizzed us on our location after seeing we had a new lease from this month. But they had looked at our first lease a year ago already, and we had submitted documentation of the landlord also at that time.

Edited by sanooki
spelling

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And calling it what it is, an Over 50 visa/extension, is far too logical. Let's call it something it isn't instead.

Well, technically, you can't work in Thailand on a retirement extension, I'm pretty sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, sanooki said:

I was also considering some close version of that, thanks. As it stands, we have just received a call already, that we will get a visit tomorrow morning from the mobile police crew. Seems I might get my chance then, and likely late to go back to the office.

I've never heard of anyone, at least that I can remember, successfully appealing the conclusions, intermediate or final, of IOs, but that might be something I might try to figure out how to do. My sense is all good should come out in the wash, if they examine my record. But, I like to be prepared for the worst.

As it's your first application in Korat. I can imagine the IO there are trying to cover their own backs. Perhaps they feel the need to check your freezer for body parts first !

1 hour ago, CecilM said:

We have always had to submit both of our tabian baan (my wife’s and mine).
I assume to show that we’re renewing my marriage visa in the province both are registered. 

Thanks. Since many of the commenters here, and myself, report otherwise, I believe the Tabien Baan is a standard requirement for many services and proofs in Thailand. Sort of a precursor to the ID card.

Edit: also, I've never had a Tabien Baan.

Edited by sanooki
Add another thought.

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think it will be OK, they don't normally do a house visit, without the application being accepted.

Now sit on the bed together and smile for their Photos. :giggle:

Ha ha, thanks. I'm glad to hear that. The IOs habitually emphasize that "if the application is approved, you will get your extension stamp in a month." Also, the temporary stamp says "under consideration." I'm getting the understanding now that these mentions are mostly window dressings that haven't been updated to reflect reality. If so, I wonder why they need to take so much time "considering."

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No it won't.

You may well need a new visa. Unless I have missed it you haven't said what type of visa you have been using to get previous extensions. If you have been using type B then Korat may have taken the view that you cannot extend that visa type to marriage. It is an office interpretation and happened to me a few years back. People on here said immigration was wrong but the visa office in MFA said they were right.

If however your last visa was Non O marriage then there shouldn't be any problem.

Good luck.

That's very interesting. They didn't use that as a reason at all in what they said to us. However, my visa is indeed a "B." But, I've had two marriage extensions already on it. Somehow, I don't think they would even accept my application if this was not acceptable to them.

12 minutes ago, mancub said:

As it's your first application in Korat. I can imagine the IO there are trying to cover their own backs. Perhaps they feel the need to check your freezer for body parts first !

Ha ha, thanks. Yes, I welcome them to come have a look at our mess here. They should be here any minute. But, it's my understanding they might come every time? Well, each of my past two have been in different places, so I don't yet have anything to compare to.

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't believe that's an official requirement. We've always used my wife's son (my step-son) as a witness. It's never been a problem.

Thanks for that. You're the second to say that. That's my final worry at the moment. Are you in Korat, by any chance? I imagine it may vary by office.