McCarthy denies he promised Trump vote on expunging impeachments

Social Media

image.png

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Thursday denied making a promise to former President Trump that the House would vote to expunge his impeachments, shooting down a report that said the GOP leader pledged the vote as a way to temper tensions with the former president.

“There’s no deal,” McCarthy told reporters Thursday, “but I’ve been very clear from long before when I voted against impeachments, that they did it for purely political purposes.”

“I support expungement, but there’s no deal out there,” he added.

His comments contradict a Thursday morning report from Politico Playbook that McCarthy assured Trump that the House would vote to erase his impeachments, citing a source close to Trump and familiar with the conversation.

In the report, the vow was characterized as part of the Speaker’s effort to reconcile with Trump in the wake of an interview late last month that landed him in hot water with the former president; McCarthy had said he was unsure if Trump was the “strongest” person to beat President Biden in 2024.

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

Idiots. Unless they have that Men in Black memory eraser, "expunging" the impeachments is a fool's errand with a good bit of 1984 tossed in: "Who controls the present controls the past & who controls the past controls the future"....

The smartest thing would be just to let it be, as attention span of public is rather limited. "Let sleeping dogs lie (or lay)"

But they have to bow down to wannabe king Trump, the greatest threat to representative democracy in US history

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

Idiots. Unless they have that Men in Black memory eraser, "expunging" the impeachments is a fool's errand with a good bit of 1984 tossed in: "Who controls the present controls the past & who controls the past controls the future"....

The smartest thing would be just to let it be, as attention span of public is rather limited. "Let sleeping dogs lie (or lay)"

But they have to bow down to wannabe king Trump, the greatest threat to representative democracy in US history

I suspect Republicans regret not having rid themselves of Trump when they had two opportunities to do so.

It’s certainly a good argument to expunge the memory.

• Like 1

The problem is that McCarty is not sure he could get a House majority to expunge the impeachment (in case it would be legal to do so). In case it wouldn't pass, it could be perceived as a confirmation of Trump's impeachment.