Thai waste segregation campaign saves 127.8 million baht in 5 months

webfact

image.jpeg

The recent waste segregation campaign aimed at advocating for the proper segregation of household rubbish seems to be reaping rewards in Thailand, according to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

Aekvarunyoo Amarapala, a spokesperson for the BMA, revealed over the weekend that the last five months saw a considerable decrease in both the amount of garbage making its way to the city’s waste management facilities and the expenses related to waste processing.

There was a decline of 67,248 tonnes in the total volume of waste handled by the city from February to the end of June this year, which equals a daily reduction of about 444 tonnes.

This comparison is against the same span of time in the previous year, and it has led to waste treatment cost savings of 127.8 million baht (US$3.7 million), he explained.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of iStock

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-waste-segregation-campaign-saves-127-8-million-baht-in-5-months

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

The recent waste segregation campaign aimed at advocating for the proper segregation of household rubbish seems to be reaping rewards in Thailand

What reward?  The US and Japan have been doing this for years but to no avail.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/single-use-plastic-chemical-recycling-disposal/661141/

• Thanks 1

I suspect it will work here in Thailand as the different plastics can be sorted by low cost labor and then be recycled into new containers or whatever.  The problem in the US and other western countries is the lack of cheap labor to sort the different plastics etc. 

• Like 1

I have been seperating houshold rubbish for the 8 years i have been here and the locals take the seperated items away when i place it outside the house . I do not see any other neighbours doing the same .

I also do not put food waste in the bins . Food waste is a major problem that should be tackled by the authorities that has a value if handled correctly .

• Like 1