Can you delete all members inactive accounts?

billd766

That seems totally unnecessary to me.  Carrying an inactive user account on the books incurs almost zero cost, no degradation of performance and I can't think why it would weaken security in any way.

What is the gain?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, george said:

Why would we consider that? What would be the pros?

It would give an accurate count of active members.

At least once a day while I am logged in on ANN/TVF I get a message saying that there is a problem and the problem is always at the ANN/TVF server wherever that is.

I click on reload and it comes back straight away.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

It would give an accurate count of active members

They already have this information, and it's up to them if they want to share it. You could try asking I guess?

The suggestion of deleting/deactivating dormant accounts is destructive and could potentially cause all kinds of issues for the software and, as I previously noted, is not required in order to get the data you're after.

I couldn't figure out what the rest of your post had to do with your original suggestion.

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

Some very good observations here. Also, don't forget we have members who are settled in their life in Thailand and forget us.

Then something happens in their life (health issues/divorce/bereavement/etc.) and they need good quality free advice.

It's not unusual for a member to start posting again after a gap of a few years.

Nothing is stopping any poster after a few years away from re registering and starting anew.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Nothing is stopping any poster after a few years away from re registering and starting anew.

What you are suggesting does not align with the way we run the forum. To be fair, I don't know any other large format forum that works the way you mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, blackcab said:

What you are suggesting does not align with the way we run the forum. To be fair, I don't know any other large format forum that works the way you mentioned.

OK. It was just a thought.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 4:48 PM, billd766 said:

It would give an accurate count of active members.

At least once a day while I am logged in on ANN/TVF I get a message saying that there is a problem and the problem is always at the ANN/TVF server wherever that is.

I click on reload and it comes back straight away.

How would deleting inactive posters resolve that?