Alcoholics Not Permitted To Enter Thailand

Immigration: Alcoholics not permitted to enter Thailand

PHUKET: Alcoholics are not welcomed to Thailand according to Phuket Provincial Immigration Office. Foreigners found to have alcohol problems are not likely get a visa extension either, says Pol Capt Krissarat Nuesen, Deputy Inspector or Phuket Immigration to The Phuket Gazette.

People found to be suffering from alcoholism, tubercolosis and leprosy and drug users are not permitted to enter Thailand, according to Pol Capt Nuesen at Phuket Immigration.

"Retirees staying in Thailand on a “retirement” visa are required to show a medical certificate verifying that the applicant is healthy and does not suffer from the above sicknesses."

Source: Phuket Gazette

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=718

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could there be any troubles if you can manage to stay out of police business and are sober when dealing with Immigration??

They will hardly install surveillance cameras in the bars to see who drinks the most, or then again, thinking about the bugging scandal in the press conference room recently, maybe they will?

Who's next?

WELL, WELL, WELL, INDEED. BIT OF A JOKE REALLY, SEEING HALF THE NATION

IS ALCOHOLIC!

Well, maybe that's why they are trying to keep the other half sober :D

Anyway, coincidentally there was just an article in the Post about this subject. Thailand is number 5 in the world in terms of alcohol consumption. 20 Million people are regular drinkers while 5 millions are classified to be heavy drinkers. Obviously the main problem, however, seems to be that heaps of them do not just drink silently until they drop but rather tend to aggressions.

Maybe, the solution is to establish categories: The peaceful pack headed by George and Doc :D with the right to enter and stay and just ban the hooligans. This would reflect once again the middle way and hence would be the best approach and even catch two birds with less than five stones... or how was that saying... I better get sober first ...

Who else if not them would dare to take on that ungrateful tasks of steadily keeping 10.000 crazed out forum members on a proper leash. :o

Thanks for the well timed warning. Have to be in immigration tomorrow morning for my annual extension.

Now should I or should'nt I take this night cap? :o

:D Don`t take no alc tonight, a nice bit of grass will do it. :D

This has been an immigration regulation for some time...looks like they haven't attempted to enforce it...BUT...if some zealot at the airport wants to see "Proof" and you don't have it there could be an issue clearing immigration.

Same set of regulations also states that you need to have "Proof" of a recent test for HIV (negative, I assume?).

This has been an immigration regulation for some time...looks like they haven't attempted to enforce it...BUT...if some zealot at the airport wants to see "Proof" and you don't have it there could be an issue clearing immigration.

Same set of regulations also states that you need to have "Proof" of a recent test for HIV (negative, I assume?).

Like the worthless HIV-tests every bg is getting for a few bath in every backyardhospital?

Soon they'll be breathalysing the immigration queues at the airport.

What next? Mouth swabs for DNA testing so they can confirm the identities of farang dead bodies quicker.

Mandatory drug testing on all Thai flights.

Airport customs actually checking a few foreigners as they enter Thailand instead of relying on tip-offs.

They really need to start at home first before worrying about a few lager lout tourists.

“Only foreigners staying in Thailand on a “retirement” visa are required to show a medical certificate verifying that the applicant is healthy and does not suffer from elephantiasis, tuberculosis or leprosy, and is not addicted to alcoholic or a user of illegal drugs.

is not addicted to alcoholic

This sounds like my wife will not be allowed to enter Thailand ?? :o

Another unforceable policy- I guess it does give the govt smth to do- shuffle papers back and forth. One wonders do they really think about what they say before they do it? Me thinks not!!! :o

One wonders do they really think about what they say before they do it

Of course not silly! When has thinking been a prerequisite here?

And the doc said........

Should we start packing George ?

There could be money in this folks if you can arrange transportation for all the people needing repatriation.

:D

leprosy ? Did I read that correctly, anyone confirmed this ?

Welcome to the dark ages.

Perhaps the immigration staff were drunk when they wrote their new policy, lol.

Ogi ogi oi oi oi Fatskin wake up and get real !

Well, listen to this guys. Look at this thread coming from all of you. Many of you do drink. Secondly, yes indeed Thailand really has a problem on the alcoholic drinking. Think about it for a moment. You are driving your car stone sober, and how many of the other drivers out there way over the tipsy stage, and could kill you with one mistake.

Also motorbikes. I do see many of them having their special treat right under the seat or on the side. Thai people really do drink the hard stuff since they socialize a lot with others daily.

Fellas, drinking just to be sociable is fine, but remember that doing it practically every day one tends to become addicted to alcohol over the course of time just like drugs.

If one drinks on occasion which is far and few in between, then that is fine. For me I take Vodka and 7up just once a year, and I don't even finish my glass even two hours later. I have also recently seen many individuals drink a whole bottle before the night is over. Yes they might act and look sober to you (being an alcoholic) but technically they are drunk, cause you can tell as they speak and their memory is so bad they cannot remember what they did one minute later.

Alcohol is also a silent killer. Eventually your liver goes first. As for women it is two times more dangerous than it is for men. Why, because of the body to fat ratio's are much different.

Daveyo