British man who killed terminally ill wife after she ‘begged him to’ is freed from Cyprus prison

Social Media

image.png

Court hears it was David Hunter’s wife’s ‘wish’ to die and that her husband ‘had only feelings of love for her’

A retired British miner who suffocated his terminally ill wife in Cyprus after she “begged him to” has been released after spending nearly two years behind bars.

David Hunter, 76, admitted killing Janice Hunter, 74, his spouse of 52 years, at their home near the coastal resort town of Paphos in December 2021.

Ms Hunter had been suffering from blood cancer and the court was told she had “begged” her husband to end her life.

Hunter was handed a two-year prison sentence on Monday but was released shortly after the sentencing, having already spent 19 months in a Cypriot prison.

Speaking outside Paphos District Court after walking free, a visibly emotional Hunter told reporters: “I can’t describe it. I’m sorry. I wish I could, I wish I could find words to describe it but I can’t.

“When you’re under pressure for two years, not knowing which way it’s going to go.”

His daughter, Lesley Cawthorne, said she feels her “heart has been put back together” since his release, adding: “Today is the start of us being able to rebuild our lives.”

FULL STORY

independent.png

• Thumbs Up 1