Buying Property But Not Resident?

whitethai

In general, as a foreigner you can not own land in Thailand.

You can own a condo, under certain conditions (i.e. the majority of the units in the complex must be Thai-owned).

You can own a house, but not the land it sits on.

You can arrange long-term leases for land/property (even multiple leases, up to 30 years each I believe).

You can start up a company under certain conditions, and the company can buy land/property (but, on paper, the company has to be majority-owned by Thais).

Here is a link to the main ThaiVisa website page that discusses the subject: Buying Land in Thailand

And here is the page discussing: Owning Land in Thailand

Hope that helps answer your question !

//edit - spelling (need sleep, eyes closing, d@mn helicopters hovering 100 meters away, can't throw rocks at them, 'cause they've got missiles and machine guns !)

Edited by Kerryd

You can own a condo, under certain conditions (i.e. the majority of the units in the complex must be Thai-owned).

You can arrange long-term leases for land/property (even multiple leases, up to 30 years each I believe).

You can start up a company under certain conditions, and the company can buy land/property (but, on paper, the company has to be majority-owned by Thais).

Here is a link to the main ThaiVisa website page that discusses the subject: Buying Land in Thailand

//edit - spelling (need sleep, eyes closing, d@mn helicopters hovering 100 meters away, can't throw rocks at them, 'cause they've got missiles and machine guns !)

Great I will read.

I know you can own the property and not land but thats about it and I thought instead of renting room studio for six months to buy a property and that could be investment and if I did not find a Thai wife which would give me spouse visa to stay then I could rent the property out thus paying for the land admin per month as I believe a foreigner has to pay about £UK fifty monthly???

Great I will read.

I know you can own the property and not land but thats about it and I thought instead of renting room studio for six months to buy a property and that could be investment and if I did not find a Thai wife which would give me spouse visa to stay then I could rent the property out thus paying for the land admin per month as I believe a foreigner has to pay about £UK fifty monthly???

If you own property in your name (Apartment) and you are under 50 years of age and not married to a Thai Citizen, you can use this property to obtain a 1 year multiple entry non-immigrant type "O" visa. You must apply for this type of visa in any Thai Embassies outside of Thailand. With this type of visa, you can stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days at which time you must leave the country and re-enter (Visa run).

Great I will read.

If you own property in your name (Apartment) and you are under 50 years of age and not married to a Thai Citizen, you can use this property to obtain a 1 year multiple entry non-immigrant type "O" visa. You must apply for this type of visa in any Thai Embassies outside of Thailand. With this type of visa, you can stay in Thailand for a maximum of 90 days at which time you must leave the country and re-enter (Visa run).

Ahh

Thing about lawyer should I get Thai lawyer or British lawyer?

Thing about lawyer should I get Thai lawyer or British lawyer?

What would a British lawyer know about Thai law?

British lawyers are not allowed to practice officially in Thailand (as lawyers in the courts) but can be advisers to Thai law firms.

As the poster above suggests - Sunbelt Asia or similar.

British guy can advise you and if appearance in court is needed, or official document has to be signed, then the Thai lawyer will do the necessary.

Do you want someone in Pattaya or Krung Thep?