Student loan - how to confirm if it's real?

There is a person asking me for a significant amount (50,000). She says it's to pay off student debt as it's already way overdue and her parents' assets will be seized if she doesn't pay SOON. If it's true I will help.

However, I'm a bit skeptical on this. I don't know her well enough (no, we don't have any relationship). If catch her in a lie I will decline.

I am supposed to discuss it tomorrow but I'm planning to ask her an hour before the meeting (so she won't have time to forge stuff) to bring the papers from her university and something that confirms the loan debt. I saw that there is a website called https://www.studentloan.or.th/th/home

Are all Thai student debts registered in there? If yes, then I can easily check on the meeting.

My girlfriend was late on her yearly payment of 18K, she is fined 300 baht per month she is late only. I paid it 2-3 months later. They can login to websites where everything should be shown in details, can't have excuses for that too. ID card should match that name of course.

There should not be any issue to make a smaller payment if she was late and then to continue somehow with monthly installments, unless she already made a 2-3 year mess out of it.

Then you help her out and she repeats the same again for 2-3 years likely too. Doubt this is from just 1 year of payments.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

Monthly is meant saving up, which Thais suck at, they usually send a invoice once a year but it comes down to +- 2-3K a month in most cases I have known off / seen in Thailand.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

First of all, why do you feel you have to help? You will meet many who need help in Thailand over the years who you have no connection with, and you will learn to walk away even you feel bad about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FarangFB said:

it's already way overdue and her parents' assets will be seized if she doesn't pay SOON.

Absolute nonsense, there is a small fine when a payment is missed and if she has been working then they take the payment from that.

Clearly, she has ignored her payments but rest assured they definitely don't confiscate assets to get it.

Many Thai's don't pay their student loans back and it affects future student's ability to get a student loan.

2 hours ago, hughrection said:

Absolute nonsense, there is a small fine when a payment is missed and if she has been working then they take the payment from that.

Clearly, she has ignored her payments but rest assured they definitely don't confiscate assets to get it.

Many Thai's don't pay their student loans back and it affects future student's ability to get a student loan.

To get a loan, the parent must act as guarantors.

Based on the answers here it's pretty much impossible for her student debt situation to demand an immediate payment of 50k, correct? (She said the deadline is on Aug 4th).

Is it possible that the debt is so old that they would be after her parents' assets? I thought at most it should affect her ability to get credit in the future.

Why on earth would you give 50K to a person who doesn't have a relationship with you. If true at all, is notorious for not paying back debts. In any case don't expect to see any money back from her at all. She will have a good laugh.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why on earth would you give 50K to a person who doesn't have a relationship with you. If true at all, is notorious for not paying back debts. In any case don't expect to see any money back from her at all. She will have a good laugh.

If you read his post, he said " if it's true I'll help". 

He also didn't mention it being a loan.

Seems to be a nice friendly person who wants to help someone out.

If it turns out to be a lie, he's made it quite clear he will walk away.

3 hours ago, bbko said:

Thank ghod that trait is limited to only Thais and nowhere else in the world, eh?

Related to the subject student loans this goes perfectly fine in most countries. We are on a Thai forum anyway, useless comment. 

On 8/2/2023 at 2:25 PM, FarangFB said:

There is a person asking me for a significant amount (50,000). She says it's to pay off student debt as it's already way overdue and her parents' assets will be seized if she doesn't pay SOON. If it's true I will help.

However, I'm a bit skeptical on this. I don't know her well enough (no, we don't have any relationship). If catch her in a lie I will decline.

I am supposed to discuss it tomorrow but I'm planning to ask her an hour before the meeting (so she won't have time to forge stuff) to bring the papers from her university and something that confirms the loan debt. I saw that there is a website called https://www.studentloan.or.th/th/home

Are all Thai student debts registered in there? If yes, then I can easily check on the meeting.

So what was the outcome of your meeting? 

On 8/5/2023 at 4:51 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

So what was the outcome of your meeting? 

Checked the website, turned out there was a student debt around 37k in there. The court order she brought didn't say anything about seizing assets.

I was about to start checking to pay part of the student debt but then she also mentioned (for the first time) she had pawned a car and needed to pay 25k.

Since she wasn't honest about her debts at first then nothing was paid.

Checked the website, turned out there was a student debt around 37k in there. The court order she brought didn't say anything about seizing assets.

I was about to start checking to pay part of the student debt but then she also mentioned (for the first time) she had pawned a car and needed to pay 25k.

The same old story, but someone is going to take the bate as long she do not give up. At once a friendship or relationship ending up paying debt, you should think twice. Well done

Exactly as suspected. Education debt then seems to be for 2 years already and they just charge 300 baht a month. 

Its always to make a quick buck, she likely would only take the car back and perhaps pay 18k education debt to end using the rest for a few happy days to then be back at square one next year.

On 8/2/2023 at 2:54 PM, Hummin said:

First of all, why do you feel you have to help? You will meet many who need help in Thailand over the years who you have no connection with, and you will learn to walk away even you feel bad about it. 

Listen.... wise advice.  Just because you want to bring someone a helping hand.. it is a hand out not a hand up.....Hint.. she has relatives...Sadly, you are the ATM..      Burned one.. minor amount.. but wanted to help just the same, but ... really...take care of yourself... walk away... no need to take the savior position... move on. All the best.