Hun Sen says he could return if son encounters danger as new prime minister

geovalin

The longtime prime minister said even his wife was surprised at the recent announcement that he would step down.

Outgoing Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Thursday that the recent announcement that he would transfer power to his eldest son may have been done hastily, adding that he could return to office if his son’s life is ever endangered.

Speaking at an inauguration ceremony in Kandal province, Hun Sen said even his wife – Hun Manet’s mother – didn’t know about the plan to appoint the 45-year-old four star general as prime minister this month. Hun Sen had previously said that he would continue as prime minister until 2028.

But on July 26, he announced on state television that a new Hun Manet-led government would be formed on Aug. 22, after the National Election Committee officially reports election results. 

The news came three days after preliminary results showed Hun Sen’s ruling Cambodian People’s Party winning 120 of 125 seats in the tightly controlled parliamentary election.

On Thursday, Hun Sen said he was worried that infighting among senior CPP ministers could result in bloodshed if a smooth and timely transition to a new government wasn’t made. But his plan to wield influence behind the scenes as head of CPP should maintain stability, he said.

“I warn you that if my son’s life is endangered, the possibility of returning to be the prime minister is that I have to come back and work,” he said. “I have to return to be the prime minister for a while. After that, I will choose who can be the next prime minister.”

ENG_KHM_HastyTransfer_08032023.2.JPG
Hun Manet, son of Cambodia’s Prime Minister Hun Sen, is seen at a polling station on the day of Cambodia’s general election, in Phnom Penh, July 23, 2023. Credit: Cindy Liu/Reuters

Still a few days left

The abrupt transfer of power may be a sign that key CPP officials still don’t support Hun Manet's prime minister candidacy, said Um Sam An, a former opposition party member of parliament.

Longtime CPP leaders like Interior Minister Sar Kheng and Defense Minister Tea Banh are also planning to step down this month.

Um Sam An said Hun Sen has appointed Sar Kheng, Tea Banh and others to the Supreme Council of the King – which has no real authority over government affairs – to keep them out of power. But failing to share some influence could eventually exacerbate divisions within the CPP, he said.

“The fact that Hun Sen consolidates power alone may result in armed conflicts that prevent the transfer of power,” Um Sam An said. “Sar Kheng may join hands with Tea Banh to prevent that transfer of power.”

“So, there are still a few days left, and Hun Sen is still worried,” he said.

Sar Kheng, Tea Banh and Deputy Prime Minister Men Sam An were also recently promoted to vice president positions of the CPP. Hun Sen has said he will serve as president of the Senate.

CPP spokesman Sok Ey San said he didn’t know yet who the CPP would appoint as president of the National Assembly. He added that the ruling party has no internal divisions.

Translated by Sovannarith Keo. Edited by Matt Reed.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambodia/hun-sen-hasty-08032023161709.html

Copyright © 1998-2020, RFA. Used with the permission of Radio Free Asia, 2025 M St. NW, Suite 300, Washington DC 20036.

1 hour ago, geovalin said:

“I warn you that if my son’s life is endangered, the possibility of returning to be the prime minister is that I have to come back and work,” he said. “I have to return to be the prime minister for a while. After that, I will choose who can be the next prime minister.”

and on the 7th day hun rested.