Extension of non immigrant visa

James Peiris

8 hours ago, CMBob said:

Not 100% sure what you're asking but at CM Immigration you can obtain another annual extension up to 45 days prior to your current extension expiration date.  

And how long is processing time?  If all your documents are in order, you get the extension stamped in your passport immediately on the day of submission or is there some longer processing period for a Non-O retirement extension?

Edited by K2938

20 minutes ago, CMBob said:

No problem with using an agent if one can't handle the process themselves and/or don't care about paying the agent's fee; however, you clearly spend more than 8 minutes in the process.  For clarification, perhaps you might advise of the following:

(1) How much time (travel time and bank time) do you spend obtaining the necessary bank documentation?

(2) How much time (travel time and attendance) do you spend involving your first visit to your visa agent's office to prepare and sign the necessary paperwork?

(3)  How much time do you spend on the day of application traveling to and from Immigration (either via your agent transporting you from your home or from their office)?

In the end, it's likely doubtful you spend less time for all of the above than do people who obtain their extensions themselves.  And, of course, you pay several thousand baht more for the agent's service.

Again, no issue with those who want to or need to use an agent.  I actually did that once myself but, frankly, I spend less time overall doing it myself. 

Is why it’s easier just to do it myself…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I know there are a lot of "agent haters" out there, so hate me if you want. A few years back when I was able, I didn't use an agent and did everything myself. But old age has caught up with me and using an agent benefits me a lot now. Peace out...

As I said, no problem with those who want to or need to use an agent and it's clear you have a reasonable need.  That's cool.  And thanks for your service.

I don't "hate" the agents and don't know anybody who has expressed that sentiment.   I and some others I know, though, have had some concern about visa agency ownership (in at least the past, Immigration officers have owned part of at least one well-known agency here) and, of course, the money being paid under the table for the special service.  Some visa agents elsewhere (I'm not aware of it happening here in CM) blatantly obtain illegal extensions for those not entitled to them (for one example, obtaining an extension when the bank funds requirement isn't met).  

• Like 1

On the other hand.

I just checked my passport. November 15th 2022.  I had a 930 appointment. I was there 15 minutes ahead of time, had my papers checked, given a ticket, and sent over to my area. At 925 I looked at the flat screen que display and noticed there were 24 people ahead of me. No idea what was going on between 830 and 930, but I guess, absolutely  nothing. They took their time too, until  1030. I was not called until after 11 and  1130 before I got out. 

Two hours plus. Basically, the same as it has always been. Lucky, I had brought my e book and tunes, despite all the great stories of how fast it the new reservation system is.  Maybe this year. At least I can dream, can't I?

I keep thinking about agents BTW. 

5 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

Thank you for your comments and thoughts. Yes, I will explain why in more detail why I use an agent. I am 73 years old (100% disabled Veteran) and I have a hard time getting around. Because of my health issues, it is more convenient to use an agent. When it is time for my extension, a rep. from the agent's office comes to my house and picks up my passport and bankbook. They go to my bank and start the process and then go back and pick up all of the bank documents. Then they turn it all over to immigration. When it's time for me, they come by pick me up and take me to the back door of the immigration building. I go through the a side door sit down in front of an immigration officer, they take my picture and within 2-3 minutes they give me my passport. Then the agency rep takes me back to the car that is waiting and they take me back home. Bingo, that's it. It cost me a total of 5,900 baht to the agent. I know there are a lot of "agent haters" out there, so hate me if you want. A few years back when I was able, I didn't use an agent and did everything myself. But old age has caught up with me and using an agent benefits me a lot now. Peace out...

in your circumstances i can see the benefit of using an agent,

• Like 1

21 hours ago, proton said:

Full marks for not calling it a retirement/marriage visa, even some lawyers cannot manage that

But he does say "Please let me know the time period Chiang Mai Immigration needs to extend my non immigrant O visa", which is incorrect as visas are not extended, only permissions of stay are.

So maybe not full marks after all

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

No, they have appointments. 

Given the appointment calendar we use only goes out 90 days and it's rather difficult to find any openings for the first month or two, perhaps the agents either grab appointments early (expecting to be able to use them) or they are afforded a separate calendar to use.  Or, perhaps, given the special relationship, they don't need an appointment.

Part II
As I finished my extension at 1140, or Two hours and 20 minutes after I arrived for my scheduled appointment. Exhausted I left, no attempt made to get a multi reentry visa, 

A week later. Submitting the documents at the check in window, then made to get a TM 30 copy. A new hoop jump. That done, over to the re entry window. Only 4 people waiting. However after servicing two they shut the window and called no one for a solid hour. I was done in little over an hour and a half. However, a panicked older Austrian couple had been there and not called to submit documents, for an hour. They had a flight out  early afternoon. We advised them to give it ten more minutes then leave, you can get a re entry at the airport. A real mix between a squirrel cage & ---- show. All in all, this ranks up as one of the worst experiences at immigration since 2019 and the dawn patrol days.

6 hours ago, proton said:

why bother with an agent then?

As I get older I have less tolerance for this -deleted-. I also have more money, as investments vest. A couple more times like this and I will hire an agent, hang out at Airport Starbucks until I get the call.    

Went to file my 1st extension based on a multiple entry non-imm O based on marriage Aug 11th.  Turns out somewhere along the line I had lost my TM30 out of my passport.  Immigration high up friend of ours said no problem, if you have an old one, just show them that.  Arrived to an absolute zoo at the airport immigration office.  Turns out they were still processing people who they turned away the day before but who had numbers already (and it was the day before the 3 day weekend) but we needed to do it that day for numerous reasons.  Anyway, once they checked all the packet copies numerous times, they decided I needed to go over to the TM30 place in the back and get an updated one.  Bad luck as the TM 30 place had just closed for lunch, so very quick lunch and back to get in line for TM 30.  Only had to wait for 5 people and then obtained the new TM 30 copy in a few minutes.  Back to the document check area (directly back to the window we were at prior, no waiting) and off with our number we go into the main building.  Had to wait about 5 minute to get called, turned in paper work, waited another 15min and then got called to take a pic and receive my passport back with a return date for the extension stamp of Sept 22.  Did not check before I left (my fault).   I thought the wait time was 30 days?  Missing something?