Mini Fridge power backup

LoeiI

Hi all due to the amount of power cuts recently I am thinking of buying a Mini Fridge (85 watt 50 litre capacity 1.7 cubic roughly the size of a hotel bedroom fridge) to store my insulin in and would appreciate any advice on the best power backup source, I've seen the portable power stations on line but the amps/watts/MAH values are a bit confusing so any help on which size would be required and whether it could be configured to kick in automatically in the event of a power cut would be of great help (Not sure if this is the correct forum location please feel free to move if required) TIA 

An 80W fridge should be within the capability of pretty well any UPS (particularly if you can get an "inverter" type fridge), but how much autonomy (power-off run time) do you think you will need??

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crossy said:

An 80W fridge should be within the capability of pretty well any UPS (particularly if you can get an "inverter" type fridge), but how much autonomy (power-off run time) do you think you will need??

I think the longest power cut I've seen was about 8 hrs not sure if that is pretty normal ? probably safe to go for around 18 hrs would you agree ? the mini fridge id been looking at was an  ACONATIC Single Door Refrigerator (1.7 Cubic) AN-FR468 it doesn't mention Inverter in the bumf so I guess its not 

40 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Have you considered a caravan/Camping fridge ?

These can be run on mains, 12vdc and gas. 

A gas bottle would give weeks of running the fridge and you wouldn't have to worry a UPS having enough juice to last the blackout.

Just a thought. 

Caravan Fridges

I had one in OZ when camping 3 week on a small gas bottle around 4kilo but not sure those gas bottles are available here. Another option are freezer jell bags.

Just now, brianthainess said:

I had one in OZ when camping 3 week on a small gas bottle around 4kilo but not sure those gas bottles are available here. Another option are freezer jell bags.

I've been told by the professionals that insulin is quite delicate and has to kept at 2 to 8 degrees also the small pen vials are made of glass and quite easy to break I've tried the freezer gel bags in a cool box before but its a right faff and if the insulin goes below 0 degrees its buggered. My main thoughts about a mini fridge and UPS was it could be stand alone with no need to handle it, cheers 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, retarius said:

I have a Honda generator and use that for selected circuits in the house.

I have an old car on LPG and use that with a inverter to run a selected circuit of one room but only 500w not big enough for a fridge though.  

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I had one in OZ when camping 3 week on a small gas bottle around 4kilo but not sure those gas bottles are available here

There was a thread on here earlier listing some camper van/ motor home companies, sure they would know all about availability of fridges and the gas for them.

Any company supplying gas fridges would know about the availability of the gas. 

Edited by Beachcomber

31 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

There was a thread on here earlier listing some camper van/ motor home companies, sure they would know all about availability of fridges and the gas for them.

Any company supplying gas fridges would know about the availability of the gas. 

Its just that I have never seen the very small bottles, but the next size up would work fine, (but IMO to heavy when camping,)   

2 hours ago, LoeiI said:

I've been told by the professionals that insulin is quite delicate and has to kept at 2 to 8 degrees also the small pen vials are made of glass and quite easy to break I've tried the freezer gel bags in a cool box before but its a right faff and if the insulin goes below 0 degrees its buggered. My main thoughts about a mini fridge and UPS was it could be stand alone with no need to handle it, cheers 

If you want a really robust solution then something like this will do the job, it’s an APC - UPS that is virtually infinitely expandable. This one is a 1500W version the batteries are 55 Ah deep cycle ones, if I want a longer run time I would just add more batteries, if I want more power either add a second 1500W CPS unit or a bigger one.
IMG_6489.thumb.jpeg.fc305bc806acf3fb8ca4e72419a21404.jpegThese are the kind of units used in data centres where power loss will kill the business and company. Though they aren’t cheap they are comparable with higher end UPS units.
FWIW this unit is about ฿16,000 + batteries and is 24v

you can get a lower power one that is 12v it’s output is 420WIMG_6490.thumb.jpeg.24319dab9d31e3d5bc7c9e8410d416e7.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Its just that I have never seen the very small bottles, but the next size up would work fine, (but IMO to heavy when camping,) 

The OP does not want to go camping, just for home use in case of power failure, don't see why a normal cooker gas bottle can't be used. That would last for months ????

8 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

The OP does not want to go camping, just for home use in case of power failure, don't see why a normal cooker gas bottle can't be used. That would last for months ????

Sometimes added info can help other people not just the OP.