Savannakhet non o requirement

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Savannakhet next Monday or Tuesday if I can as I heard it's better to avoid Monday.

here the requirement from Savannakhet Thai embassy:

1. Visa application form [Download] which is completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  2. Original and a copy of passport or travel document (must not expire within 180 days and contain at least two complete empty visa pages)
  3. Two (2) photos of the applicant (3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken within 6 months)
  4. Original and a copy of marriage certificate (for spouse/parent) or birth certificate (for child).
  5. A copy of Thai identification card (for spouse/parent)
  6. A copy of passport (for spouse/parent)
  7. A copy of Thai House registration
  8. Visa Fee: 2,000 Baht (Single Entry)

- Regarding number 6, my wife lost her passport but she has her ID card, is that a problem?

- My Visa extension end on 29 August, can I pass the border on Tuesday 29 morning?

- Do I need to show 20 000 bahts on my Thai bank? at the border immigration or at the consulate, if yes how? just the book bank?

- I have a letter from the owner to prove where I'm living, electricity bill from my house and also from my wife house, I will bring the tabien ban of my wife in case, will even take few pictures of us in the house I rent. Anything else I should be aware of?

- Does the marriage certificate has to be updated? less than 6 months

Edited by Lolothai

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Your wife's passport is not necessary. The id card is fine.

You can exit Thailand on the last day of your current permission to stay.

You need to show 20,000 baht (or equivalent in a major currency) in a bank account. A Thai bank passbook recently updated is sufficient. In theory, you can be asked by Thai immigration to show 20,000 baht cash at the border. In practice that never happens.

It would be best to have a recent KR2 (especially if your wife is not with you) but they will probably not insist on that.

My wife and kids will be there, I will probably ask as father of a Thai national, does the birthday certificate has to be updated from less than 6 months as well?

The Thai bank passport is the bank book? how recent it has to be updated? 2 days would be ok?

40 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

My wife and kids will be there, I will probably ask as father of a Thai national, does the birthday certificate has to be updated from less than 6 months as well?

The Thai bank passport is the bank book? how recent it has to be updated? 2 days would be ok?

No. The consulate will accept that your children have not renounced their Thai nationality since birth.

Be aware that you can only get a single entry visa if applying based on Thai child.

• Like 1

I dropped my application for non O marriage today, indeed everyone is saying to avoid Monday and Thursday. I found Tuesday to be quite busy already, can't imagine when it's busier.

Is there good chance to get the visa once they accepted the application? Do they usually denied before accepting the 5000 bahts?

34 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

I dropped my application for non O marriage today, indeed everyone is saying to avoid Monday and Thursday. I found Tuesday to be quite busy already, can't imagine when it's busier.

Is there good chance to get the visa once they accepted the application? Do they usually denied before accepting the 5000 bahts?

It is extremely unlikely that your application for a multiple Non O based on marriage will be denied once they have checked your application.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

On many visits to Sav, I have only ever seen one bloke with a problem on collection day, though I didn't hang around to find out why........????

ok I got my visa, non-O immigrant, multiple entry. What a relief, can I do an extension based on my income? do I have to wait this visa to expired to do it?

Also I was not aware before to come that if you don't have dollar to come to Laos they make you pay 1800 bahts for the Laos visa instead of 1050 bahts (30 dollars). You also have to pay to leave Laos, we paid 60 bahts per adult.

Just now, Lolothai said:

ok I got my visa, non-O immigrant, multiple entry. What a relief, can I do an extension based on my income? do I have to wait this visa to expired to do it?

Also I was not aware before to come that if you don't have dollar to come to Laos they make you pay 1800 bahts for the Laos visa instead of 1050 bahts (30 dollars). You also have to pay to leave Laos, we paid 60 bahts per adult.

Laos visa on arrival is $40 for all, unless it has changed back ...

10 minutes ago, transam said:

Laos visa on arrival is $40 for all, unless it has changed back ...

Not depending of Nationality? Anyway I guess for French it's probably 40$ (1400) but not 50$ (1750). I think I checked the exchange rate when I asked the officer and it was in the range of 1300, I asked why, he looked pissed so I didn't insist, still, to avoid losing 500 bahts I will exchange few dollars for the next time.

31 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

Not depending of Nationality? Anyway I guess for French it's probably 40$ (1400) but not 50$ (1750). I think I checked the exchange rate when I asked the officer and it was in the range of 1300, I asked why, he looked pissed so I didn't insist, still, to avoid losing 500 bahts I will exchange few dollars for the next time.

Laos use USA dollars, but they will do you a favour and charge a baht amount.......

As far as I am aware, it is now 40 USD for everyone...

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Laos use USA dollars, but they will do you a favour and charge a baht amount.......

As far as I am aware, it is now 40 USD for everyone...

I completely understand that the hard working officer need compensation for exchanging bahts to dollars later on, it's not like they are using bahts currency everywhere in Savannakhet.

1 minute ago, Lolothai said:

I completely understand that the hard working officer need compensation for exchanging bahts to dollars later on, it's not like they are using bahts currency everywhere in Savannakhet.

Laos immigration uses USA dollars, the Laos E-Visa is charged in Dollars, you, do not come into their equation....................????

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Laos immigration uses USA dollars, the Laos E-Visa is charged in Dollars, you, do not come into their equation....................????

Talking about equation 40 dollars is 1400 bahts but indeed it's up to them to make it fair or not.

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Immigration has nothing to do with Laos road or schools........????

Given what I saw, taxes have probably nothing to do with Laos roads or schools as well. Would not hurt them if it had something to do with it.

• Confused 1

for example in the UK reason to increase immigration fee is: "the government claimed that the increase would be used to ‘fund the pay rise for doctors’ as well as other public sector pay increases."

So why do you think that here it has nothing to do with roads and schools?

41 minutes ago, Lolothai said:

for example in the UK reason to increase immigration fee is: "the government claimed that the increase would be used to ‘fund the pay rise for doctors’ as well as other public sector pay increases."

So why do you think that here it has nothing to do with roads and schools?

You are now way off-topic, try starting your own thread on the stuff you worry about in Laos...........????

(Gawd 'elp us)........:ermm:

3 hours ago, Lolothai said:

You can apply for a one-year extension during the last 30 days of any of the entries from the multiple entry visa. If you dislike travel, there is no need to make full use of the visa.

1 hour ago, transam said:

You are now way off-topic, try starting your own thread on the stuff you worry about in Laos...........????

(Gawd 'elp us)........:ermm:

Well you started by saying the officer was doing me a favor, if you don't want to be off topic then you don't need to add this. It's certainly not a favor and you probably know it.

Anyway the purpose is to let a small tip for others, if you don't want to get rip of 500 bahts, for those who don't have much money and care, then take US dollars with you.

37 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You can apply for a one-year extension during the last 30 days of any of the entries from the multiple entry visa. If you dislike travel, there is no need to make full use of the visa.

That's great to know, I will probably do an extension based on marriage and with proof of salary. Thank you for the information

1 minute ago, Lolothai said:

Well you started by saying the officer was doing me a favor, if you don't want to be off topic then you don't need to add this. It's certainly not a favor and you probably know it.

Anyway the purpose is to let a small tip for others, if you don't want to get rip of 500 bahts, for those who don't have much money and care, then take US dollars with you.

Hey, you started going on about where the visa money goes, not me.????

As for dollars, I suspect we all know that their fees are in dollars, it is on their website info....????

It is a favour, what don't you understand, they advertise in DOLLARS...????

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Hey, you started going on about where the visa money goes, not me.????

As for dollars, I suspect we all know that their fees are in dollars, it is on their website info....????

It is a favour, what don't you understand, they advertise in DOLLARS...????

Well we probably have a different way to define a favor, I believe here they are just taking advantage, it's well known that the border is between Thailand and Laos and that the bahts is the second currency in Savannakhet not the dollar. The officer even had a sticker with the price in bahts, not in Yen, euro or any other currencies. I think I even remember coming there with dollars and they preferred bahts, it was at the time the real exchange rate, and it was between 1000 and 1300 bahts. If it was ever a favor before, it's not anymore. By the way the officer didn't even ask me dollars, he directly showed me the sticker with the Thai bahts price.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Congrats, Lolothai. Did you show a KR2? I've never shown one but it's talked about a lot on here.

• Thanks 1

Do the eVisa. It will save you hassles when your arrive especially if there’s a queue. Dont forget 100 baht cash for each person entering (inc. thai) that goes to the admitting IO at Laos checkpoint. Its not marked anywhere so be aware they will expect ie demand a “tip”. Both ways they want it. Scum…

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, khunjake said:

Do the eVisa. It will save you hassles when your arrive especially if there’s a queue. Dont forget 100 baht cash for each person entering (inc. thai) that goes to the admitting IO at Laos checkpoint. Its not marked anywhere so be aware they will expect ie demand a “tip”. Both ways they want it. Scum…

When I used an E-Visa they stood to attention, dealt with me straight away and stamped me out, I walked past the queue to the passport checkout desk outside, was not charged any T-money, in fact I wasn't charged any on my return exit.

You also do not get a full page visa thingy, just a small e-visa logo the size of a stamp............. Highly recommended..????