Pipe Heat Loss Calculations

skippybangkok

4 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Thanks... seen that one too.....  but this does not cover 17" pipe, stainless steel, nor speed of air nor thickness of pipe 

In order to make the calculations to solve the homework problem:

You will need to use calculus because the fluid in the pipe will continuously change temperature as it flows though the pipe.

So you will need calculus, as you probably know.

This is a perfect calculus problem, in fact.

• Haha 1

Anyone here truly wishing to be able to CALCULATE Heat Transfer...needs to watch this good series of lectures.

This series actually shows you how to do the CALCULATIONS, and consider all variables, including the ones I mentioned above in previous comments.

ALSO, this shows how to do the calculations for heat transfer which is BOTH linear and non-linear.

And, this series shows how turbulence affects heat transfer, as I also mentioned above.

Some commenter stated that I was providing pseudo-science examples.  But, if you watch these lectures, then you will see that I was NOT. All these variables are discussed AT LENGTH in this good lecture series.

There are 37 Lectures in this Series.

Maybe NOW the guy that commented earlier, and who provided his useless approach will....See The Light?

THIS is NOT pseudo-science:

• Sad 1

Reading the above has given me a headache. I can confirm that upon laying some "pipe" earlier this week with my SE Asian GF, the pipe was hot to start with and got hotter when inserted. No heat loss at all. The result was that at the end of the regular "experiment" the pipe and it's container and ejected contents were even hotter. No measurements needed as the feelings were sufficient. No lectures nor psuedo-science nor thermal measurements needed. The mutual understanding was pure pleasure. 

33 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Reading the above has given me a headache. I can confirm that upon laying some "pipe" earlier this week with my SE Asian GF, the pipe was hot to start with and got hotter when inserted. No heat loss at all. The result was that at the end of the regular "experiment" the pipe and it's container and ejected contents were even hotter. No measurements needed as the feelings were sufficient. No lectures nor psuedo-science nor thermal measurements needed. The mutual understanding was pure pleasure. 

You can try to turn ignorance, or this Topic, into a joke if you wish.

However, the lecturer whose UTUBE Heat Transfer lectures I linked in my last comment teaches at Cal Polytechnic, which is a very decent school with median Math SAT scores of 620 to 740. What were yours? Could you do well in this course about Heat Transfer? Have you even had the math prerequisites to be admitted to this prof's class?

image.png.58e0649fb1caab49bd7f5010cb601a51.png

The OP posted a Homework Question, which was a serious question, and not a joke.

But I guess, if one is ignorant of science or any other academic subject, then they are free to tack on the prefix "Pseudo", and then be dismissive of it.

Is that any way to learn anything in life?

Lack of curiosity is a sure way to stay ignorant.

Why don't you, instead, challenge yourself, and watch the 37 lectures, and download the free courseware for this class, and then do the exercises in the book, and then try to improve your understanding of the reality around you.

Don't waste your time, because life is just too short for doing that.

• Sad 1