Is it advisable to renew passport before moving to Thailand?

Keep in mind that it currently takes 2 - 4 months to renew a US passport if you are living in the USA.  Based on posts by others here it seems to be much easier and quicker to renew your US passport if you are living in Thailand.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

Edited by Phillip9
  • Like 2

I'd wait, get settled here, then renew it here, between year - 2 and year -1, dovetailed into any annual extension of stay timeframe.

If I were in say, year -3 and they announced a 100% increase in the fee, I might opt for an early renewal. I have to say that the NGPs are pretty nice.

I might consider getting a passport card while still in the U.S. Nice RealID compliant government passport for $3 per year ($30 for 10 years). But that's said to be being updated soon so I might wait for the new version? A Passport Card in no way substitutes for a Passport.

Recent reports here, first-hand, on renewals, door-to-door have been ~ 5 weeks. I think they say 5 - 6 weeks on the US EMB BKK site. That's for the $130 fee, no expediting charges offered or needed.

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

Keep in mind that it currently takes 2 - 4 months to renew a US passport if you are living in the USA.  Based on posts by others here it seems to be much easier and quicker to renew your US passport if you are living in Thailand.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

confirmed as i had 4 months left on mine when i entered LOS...renewed it here..took 3 weeks