Been gone since early 2020, have a few questions before I return soon

wpcoe

1. Do stores (7-11, Tesco, Food Mart, etc) still provide free plastic shopping bags?

2. As a 30-day visa-exempt visitor to my own condo, can I do a TM.30 report online?  As a previous full-time resident on a retirement extension I had one on file before and was told (by Immigrations) that I didn't need to renew it.  I'm assuming that's different now without a retirement extension?

3. Is there a regular baht bus service on Thepprasit Road again?

4. Apparently there has been a new (or newly enforced old?) real estate tax being collected.  I believe I'm a couple years in arrears.  Does that require going to City Hall on Pattaya Neua to resolve?

I always have trouble with online reporting but I'm old. I get my adopted son to do it. 

There was still a baht bus on Theprasit, in March of this year.

I don't know anything about real estate taxes, we have a house on army land and have to pay rent every 5 years. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:

1. Do stores (7-11, Tesco, Food Mart, etc) still provide free plastic shopping bags?

No, most charge 1-2b for a plastic bag but some only have the more expensive re-usable bags... Tops Daily (Was Family Mart) might be an exception as my local one never charges me, but that could be because I'm in there most days & 95% of the time bring my own re-usable bag(s)

2. As a 30-day visa-exempt visitor to my own condo, can I do a TM.30 report online?  As a previous full-time resident on a retirement extension I had one on file before and was told (by Immigrations) that I didn't need to renew it.  I'm assuming that's different now without a retirement extension?

Yes if you're registered on the online system & Yes you will need to do one as you no longer have a Retirement Visa/Extension

3 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Yes, Baht buses are back to running as normal

4. Apparently there has been a new (or newly enforced old?) real estate tax being collected.  I believe I'm a couple years in arrears.  Does that require going to City Hall on Pattaya Neua to resolve?

Not 100% sure about this one but would think that you need to 1st register for a Tax Identification Number (TIN) - If you're condo is in Jomtien this will likely be at the Office more or less directly across Jomtien 2nd road from Soi 5, then you can use the e-service site https://rd.go.th/english/30115.html to pay it

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

No, most charge 1-2b for a plastic bag but some only have the more expensive re-usable bags...

Thanks for the info.  I have some sturdy "Bag Podz" I use and will bring them.  They're compact and easy to carry.

Yes if you're registered on the online system & Yes you will need to do one as you no longer have a Retirement Visa/Extension

I don't recall ever registering in the online system.  I guess I should just go to Immigrations and do an in-person report.  Is it easy to enroll in the online system?

Yes, Baht buses are back to running as normal

Good news.  Last I had read (which was a while ago) the Thepprasit route hadn't returned.

If you're condo is in Jomtien this will likely be at the Office more or less directly across Jomtien 2nd road from Soi 5

I vaguely remember some tax-related office there.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

There is a plastic bag problem here. Get a re-usable bag. Get it?

Yeah, I "get it."  I have used a set of "Bag Podz" (google it if you're bored) for several years and they're strong, compact and easy to carry.  I'll bring them with me.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Some charge 1 baht per bag, others free

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I don't recall ever registering in the online system.  I guess I should just go to Immigrations and do an in-person report.  Is it easy to enroll in the online system?

This article might help... 

https://freshbangkok.com/tm30-thailand-registration-for-landlords-and-foreign-tenants/

I vaguely remember some tax-related office there.  Thanks!

It's very easy to find as it's just off Jomtien 2nd Road... 

https://goo.gl/maps/L8K1BQd5X5hpNmsz9

11 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Re point 4, yes if you have received bills from City Hall for your real estate tax and in arrears it requires going to City Hall in person to settle them. Within the normal time allowance from invoice there is the option to pay by scanning the bar code and paying it via your mobile banking app or paying it at a Krung Thai Bank Branch.

As far as I'm aware TIN number and the tax office in Jomtien mentioned above relate to State personal  income taxation handling issues, nothing to do with local House/Condo tax assessments issued by City Hall.

I didn't have any problems with the bill payment process in person at City Hall the twice I've done it, the usual number collection and waiting system in official places. You'll pay extra for being overdue but there won't be any hassle.

Hall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kinyara said:

Re point 4, yes if you have received bills from City Hall for your real estate tax and in arrears it requires going to City Hall in person to settle them. Within the normal time allowance from invoice there is the option to pay by scanning the bar code and paying it via your mobile banking app or paying it at a Krung Thai Bank Branch.

As far as I'm aware TIN number and the tax office in Jomtien mentioned above relate to State personal  income taxation handling issues, nothing to do with local House/Condo tax assessments issued by City Hall.

I didn't have any problems with the bill payment process in person at City Hall the twice I've done it, the usual number collection and waiting system in official places. You'll pay extra for being overdue but there won't be any hassle.

Oh.  I guess I'll head to City Hall first and see if I can do it all in one visit there.  Are there English language markings leading folks to the property tax office?  My Thai was never all that good, but having been gone for 3.5 years now, I can't remember much.

Yes, you can do it online. Only needed once when you arrive in Thailand (as I was told by Immigration). 

Yes, taxes are being enforced. You can tell by many of the vacant/overgrown properties now being turned into orchards (lowest tax rate).

Does wonders in making the whole area look much better. 

8 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Oh.  I guess I'll head to City Hall first and see if I can do it all in one visit there.  Are there English language markings leading folks to the property tax office?  My Thai was never all that good, but having been gone for 3.5 years now, I can't remember much.

I can't remember to be honest but the office is at the back right corner of the building as you enter from the street with a few rows of seats outside, pretty sure you go down a flight of stairs to the lower level. If you have your bills just show them to the staff or security as you enter the main building - " pay tax bill " - and they should point you in the right direction, also staff were at the entrance to the actual office to help people.

Pretty sure it's the main reason foreigners visit City Hall so the entrance staff will know why you are there and where to direct you.

Edited by kinyara
Addition
  • Thumbs Up 1

I waited at the old (pre-2020) spot on Thepprasit near the Thappraya intersection didn't see any baht buses.  Do they only run Mon-Fri, or have that actually not yet resumed on the Thepprasit route?