Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia ( BPH ) - the turf war.

Lacessit

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia ( BPH ) - the turf war.  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current BPH therapy?

• Do nothing, watching brief only.
    • Medication
    • Rezum or water ablation
    • Laser surgery
    • Transurethral resection (TURP )
    • Prostate artery embolization

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/30/2023 at 12:36 AM

I have what is termed an obstructive prostate, due to BPH. Hardly surprising, given my age.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5717991/

I have had several discussions with my urologist in Australia, who is very highly qualified ( FRCS, FRACS ) with lots of experience. I am currently on medication,. I was asking him if I would be better off having a TURP, as medication affects libido in most cases.

He recommended I stick with the medication until it is no longer effective, as all other procedures have significant risks of incontinence, impotence, and retrograde ejaculation.

He stated the gold standard of fully obstructive BPH was a TURP. According to him, Rezum and TURP have the same level of risk.

Prostate Artery Embolization is a comparatively new technique where microspheres are injected into the blood vessels supplying the prostate, causing it to shrink.

The turf war ( his words ) arises from the fact radiologists perform embolization, urologists do not.

What treatments have you had? What detrimental side effects did you have after treatment?

If one has cancer or an obstruction then do what is necessary.  I would rather deal with it then take those drugs or procedures.  Mine comes and goes but; a healthy lifestyle, not sitting too much, and frequent ejaculation seem to make it very tolerable for me.  

I am through with my TURP.
i had opened a thread about that:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1300477-turp-prostate-in-khon-kaen-udon-thani-or/

I have described the outcome in the post from August 15.

What remains: retrograde ejaculation, an ongoing urethal tract infection (taking antibiotics, urine still not completely clear).

All in all it seems I was quite lucky, no significant pain.

Urination works well, willy not dead.

Kidney function back to normal, big relief.

Worst was the shocking moment after catheter removed and close to nothing worked.

Took half a day or so to overcome.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 6:19 PM, Lacessit said:

What treatments have you had? What detrimental side effects did you have after treatment?

I had a TURP in Epworth Hospital (Melbourne) around 13/14 years ago and it didn't go quite as smoothly as I wanted because I had to wear a catheter (plus the bag) for a couple of weeks after the operation in order to drain the urine.

When that was all done and working, I flew back to Phuket and got on with my life, and I had no other after-effects/side effects and the ejaculation was good.

The problem came a few years later when I was diagnosed with scar tissue on the bladder neck, so was told that a bladder neck incision was needed, and I was also told that it would have no side effects whatsoever – – but that was not true, because the semen flow stopped almost completely after that, although nowadays I do get some sort of ejaculatory fluid, but not enough to rejoice over!

As my Dr/surgeon friend in NZ said, if you're going to have that operation done, make sure the surgeon who does it has done plenty of them.

• Thumbs Up 1