Tourist Visa Advice

So I used to stay in Thailand for long periods many moons ago, but back then I could just extend tourists visas every month for pretty much as long as I wanted. Things were very relaxed. I understand things have tightened up and I want to start staying 6 months of the year in Thailand. I am thinking of entering on a 90 day tourist visa and then flying out to extend for another 90 days. I don't know anyone who lives in Thailand anymore so what is the way people are doing this now? Recommended nearby SEA city to extend the visa in and is this the best method for staying 6 months in a year? How long do I have to stay to get the visa? Thanks in advance.

13 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

You have your wires crossed a bit, a single entry tourist visa is VALID for 3 month <- that means you have 3 months to ENTER thailand and when you do you get stamped in for 60 days. You can get one 30 day extension on that for 1900baht at the immigration office where you stay. Then you're done

You could get a 6 month METV <- Multi-Entry Tourist Visa.. That visa is valid for 6 months from the date it's issued, it's unlimited entry with each entry getting you 60 days, and you can extend each entry once by 30 more days. Work that visa correctly and you can get almost 9 months of stay out of it. 

That'd be the choice, because this isn't the thailand it was pre-covid-sh*t show when people lived here on back to back free entry stamps, 30 day extensions and/or tourist visa entries..  

Thanks. The METV has quite a list of requirements for a 6 month stay. I would be willing to do these for a permanent move, but every time I come I would have to do the application and I still would need to leave the country once during my 6 month stay. 

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

The METV, as advised above, is probably the easiest option. Also safe at the current time (but subject to change without notice) is to apply for single entry tourist visas in Vientiane.

Thanks. Is that by land crossing or going by air, and if the limited stay is 60 days (including the extension) I would need to leave and renter twice with 6 months. Would this be permitted or is it risky? Do I need to stay out of the country for a while or can I just bounce back in? I did read somewhere that only 1 land crossing in 6 months is permitted, but it changes so often I would like to hear from people with boots on the ground dealing with this. 

2 hours ago, kevozman1 said:

Thanks. Is that by land crossing or going by air, and if the limited stay is 60 days (including the extension) I would need to leave and renter twice with 6 months. Would this be permitted or is it risky? Do I need to stay out of the country for a while or can I just bounce back in? I did read somewhere that only 1 land crossing in 6 months is permitted, but it changes so often I would like to hear from people with boots on the ground dealing with this. 

Going to Vientiane you can choose to go by air or by land. On return from Vientiane, there is unlikely to be a problem if you go by air but, to avoid the 0.001% chance of a problem at the airport, you could return by land over the Friendship Bridge.

A single entry tourist visa from Vientiane gives you a 60-day permission to stay that can be extended by a further 30 days at the local immigration office in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1