Overstay a day or two due to cancelled flight

I currently have my departure flight cancelled due to a typhoon in Hong Kong.  All flights to Hong Kong are cancelled today.  Does anyone know if I will still get an overstay fine / stamp on my passport if I leave a day or two late due to this.  I arrived visa exempt and have already used my one extension.

I would really prefer not to get an overstay stamp on my passport.  I could fly to an alternate country if I have to, but that would obviously be at significant extra expense.  I am considering just waiting for the next available flight.

9 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Does anyone know if I will still get an overstay fine / stamp on my passport if I leave a day or two late due to this.  I arrived visa exempt and have already used my one extension.

If you leave one day late by air, there will be no fine. If you leave 2+ days late, you'll need to pay a fine of 500 baht per day upon departure, including the first day of overstay (so 1000 baht if you're two days late).

You'll also get an overstay stamp.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If you leave one day late by air, there will be no fine.

Thanks for the info.  I assume I wouldn't get an overstay stamp for one day late then?

I think I can depart just one day late, but still not sure if that flight will be cancelled also.

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

Thanks for the info.  I assume I wouldn't get an overstay stamp for one day late then?

I think I can depart just one day late, but still not sure if that flight will be cancelled also.

No fine for one day but they will still stamp or write that you overstayed.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

Correct, I was notified in advance before I went to the airport.  

Take that notification and the rebooking info with you and give it to Immigration. I am sure they will let you through. I was allowed through in similar circumstances albeit about 10 years ago. Speak with courtesy and rationally and slightly repentant and you will probably be okay without having to pay a fine.

I would also call the airline and ask them how you should deal with the overstay.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...