Water well

djayz

Bought a piece of land off a neighbour recently, which has a hole/well dug on it. Approximately 4m deep and about 1.5 m in diameter. This is fed from the water table, by the way. Thing is, there's no pipe/wall - just a hole. 

I plan on hooking a solar powered pump up to this well to water new durian trees on the new parcel of land.

Question: should I have some kind of pipes (e.g. those big cement rings) lowered into the well or will it be fine just the way it is? 

I definitely have to do something at the ground level as this soil is not stable and tends to crumble easily. I can't take care of the ground level issue until I know what I should do with the well.

IMG_20230808_150602.jpg

IMG_20230808_150609.jpg

I would think you need to prevent contaminants from entering the well, a vermin-proof cap or cover must be on the well. If the well has a pump mounted on the cover, it usually has a pipe extending into the well. The annulus (ring-shaped piece) around the pipe should be sealed and covered with a protective flashing.

The cover should be watertight and sealed to the casing to prevent rodents and other animals from entering the well casing. On large-diameter wells, the cover should have a sealed and locked access hole. Just saying my two cents.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Too difficult to repair the existing well.  You will never get the cement rings to sit straight and the water will still get polluted.

What is much better is to just dig a new well close by.

You know there is good water already.

When they dig a well they have two guys.  One digging in the well and one tugging up the bucket full of dirt on a rope.

They start by placing a ring on the ground and then a little guy gets in the middle of the ring and then starts digging.  The ring sinks into the ground.  When it is ground level they place another ring on top and so on.

The rings are usually about 50cm deep.

The well diggers usually charge by the meter.  Precovid in my area they charged 1000 baht per meter.  So you well would only have a labor cost of 4,000 baht.

You should go for the bigger diameter rings...you will have more water...and it is easier for the digger to work inside.

The rings dont cost that much 2-300 baht each plus 200 for the cap.  So for abour 6k thb all up you can have a brand new cement lined and capped well.

Sounds logical. I felt a bit daft asking for a new well when we already had one. 

1k/m really sounds very reasonable. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, djayz said:

Sounds logical. I felt a bit daft asking for a new well when we already had one. 

1k/m really sounds very reasonable. 

It is not a very skilled job.  Most Thai laborers can do it.  Some charge by the meter and some per cement ring.

Didn't you used to be based in Phuket?  Why the move to Isaan?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Didn't you used to be based in Phuket?  Why the move to Isaan?

You appear to have me mixed up with somebody else. Have never set foot on Phuket Island. 

22 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Too difficult to repair the existing well.  You will never get the cement rings to sit straight and the water will still get polluted.

What is much better is to just dig a new well close by.

You know there is good water already.

When they dig a well they have two guys.  One digging in the well and one tugging up the bucket full of dirt on a rope.

They start by placing a ring on the ground and then a little guy gets in the middle of the ring and then starts digging.  The ring sinks into the ground.  When it is ground level they place another ring on top and so on.

The rings are usually about 50cm deep.

The well diggers usually charge by the meter.  Precovid in my area they charged 1000 baht per meter.  So you well would only have a labor cost of 4,000 baht.

You should go for the bigger diameter rings...you will have more water...and it is easier for the digger to work inside.

The rings dont cost that much 2-300 baht each plus 200 for the cap.  So for abour 6k thb all up you can have a brand new cement lined and capped well.

Looking at that photo a 360 backhoe with a small bucket on could dig a hole, it would only take him a couple of hours.

Diggers seem the latest thing, I see them being towed about all the time you should get one in for 600 baht/hour ask him to do the job on a price, and he could drop the concrete rings in, most back hoes can go down3-4 meters.  

• Like 2