Thai man falls into hot spring in Chiang Mai due to broken bridge railing

webfact

image.jpeg

A 16 year old Thai youth suffered severe burns after plunging into a scorching hot spring with temperatures exceeding 80 degrees Celsius at Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park in the Fang district of the northern province of Chiang Mai.

According to Channel 3, the victim was a tourist who had come to stay at a camping site within the national park. He and his friend had been using the hot spring to boil eggs by suspending them over the bubbling waters.

As the victim patiently awaited the eggs, he positioned himself on a bridge that spanned the middle of the hot spring, leaning against the weathered wooden railing. Unfortunately, the aged railing could not withstand his weight, causing him to tumble into the scalding waters below.

The victim sustained burns from his feet to his neck and is presently in stable condition. However, he requires close medical attention to avert potential infections in his wounds.

by Petch Petpailin 

Photo via Facebook/ World Variety News Cm-lanna

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-man-falls-into-hot-spring-in-chiang-mai-due-to-broken-bridge-railing

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 8

5 hours ago, webfact said:

using the hot spring to boil eggs by suspending them over the bubbling waters.

I extend my sympathy to the lad as I have experienced similar discomfort when boiling eggs in a hot spring. Where I lived in Lanna, there were several National Parks with hot springs and one of the attractions was boiling quail eggs in a small wicker basket. In my incident, hot water splashed onto my hand from a sudden eruption. It was extremely painful and I can appreciate the pain this young lad suffered.  Get well soon.

Premium Photo | Thai people and travelers foreigner cooking ...

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

He's lucky he's still alive because if more than 60% of your skin gets burned like that it usually means the end. 

At a different springs they have different temps at different stages. Most people were going up to around 30-40c.

I was able to go into 50c for a few seconds, but that was the highest. 80c must send your body into shock. 

• Love It 1

10 hours ago, Countryman said:

Sure he will get compensation from management , maybe a few 1000 Baht ....if lucky.

the wood is completely rotten  , build a bridge over hot water ..someone is sure to fall

in.

More likely he will be sued for defamation now... For giving the hot springs place a bad name and damaging Thailands immage.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

And you didn't notify the staff and authorities? 

You are partly to blame for the boy's burns. 

I didn't have to notify them because someone else was already showing them.

So how about publicly retracting your comment and apologising.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2023 at 4:15 PM, JeffersLos said:

At a different springs they have different temps at different stages. Most people were going up to around 30-40c.

I was able to go into 50c for a few seconds, but that was the highest. 80c must send your body into shock. 

80⁰ Celsius is definitely bad news!