US Citizen Passport Card Application: BKK or Chiang Mai?

Hi,

I'm a US citizen with a valid passport and Thai visa with current valid permission to stay. I'd like to apply for a United States Passport card to use as a second photo ID for my bank. They've accepted my main passport and a friend at the same bank mentioned just get this card and that will suffice for the second photo ID. I haven't been back since 2008 and no longer have a current State ID and don't want to go through the hassle of flying back, establishing residency in a state, applying for a drivers license, etc.

Have any of you US citizens applied for and received a Passport Card? If so were you able to recently do it online or did you have to make an appointment at the embassy? I checked the embassy website but didn't find the info I needed.

I'm not looking for any "why don't you just get a different bank" or "go check the embassy site" or "go check google" or "when I did it in 2012 it was like Xyz" responses.

I'm asking here in hopes of legitimately helpful responses as I've received over previous years.

I'd prefer to get the Passport Card in Chiang Mai since I'm located in Khon Kaen. But that might not be possible.

What are the current options?

It might be a stretch to ask if anyone has seen embassy consular visits that were common once per year in each Isaan province pre-COVID, where the embassy staff would handle passport renewals (they'd take the form, photo and payment on-site in say Udon or Khon Kaen, and handle the rest by mail courier) -but if you've heard any updates or these have resumed, maybe that's an option to pursue the Passport Card application.

Asking this extra bit in case the replies help someone else searching similar in future.

Thanks a lot for all advice in the past, -much appreciated!

Why not get a Thai ID.  I have a Thai Military Hosital ID card ( Korat ) with name and photo, only passport need at no cost ( NOTE: some hospial ID cards do NOT have photos ) - yes a foreigner can use a Thai ( Army / Navy ) Military hospital, many doctors in military hospitals are US or UK trained and speak good English. Also I have a yellow house book and ID card

Edited by edwardflory
spelling

Just read the instructions on the US embassy/consulate website to learn what it takes to get a US passport card.  It has to be done by mail via the BKK and you have to also mail in your passport with the mentioned documents and bank drafts. Embassy/Consulate appointments are not available for this purpose (appointments are allowed for renewal of passports under special conditions, all as explained on the website).

You mention you want one so as to have a "second photo ID."  Really?  Whenever I do business inside the bank (for me, either SCB or Bangkok Bank), I take my passport and that's all I've ever needed (and once SCB accepted the photocopy of the photo page of my passport I keep in my wallet).  Never heard of anybody needing two photo ID's.  

• Like 1

I am a little puzzled on way you need a second id to do business at the bank. I bank with Bangkok Bank, SCB and K-Bank and the only requirement that I knew of, you have to show your passport.  If I ever needed a second picture id, I just show my Thai Driver's License,  Just something to think about concerning a US Passport Card. A friend of mine had one and when he used it, some places wouldn't accept it. They said, they never seen a US Passport Card, therefore would only use a real passport, because they thought the card was fake. But my friend told me that story a few years ago, so maybe things have changed since then. Good luck

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Just read the instructions on the US embassy/consulate website to learn what it takes to get a US passport card.  It has to be done by mail via the BKK and you have to also mail in your passport with the mentioned documents and bank drafts. Embassy/Consulate appointments are not available for this purpose (appointments are allowed for renewal of passports under special conditions, all as explained on the website).

You mention you want one so as to have a "second photo ID."  Really?  Whenever I do business inside the bank (for me, either SCB or Bangkok Bank), I take my passport and that's all I've ever needed (and once SCB accepted the photocopy of the photo page of my passport I keep in my wallet).  Never heard of anybody needing two photo ID's.  

Can we use our Thai drivers license? It works most places - boarding planes, post office, for example.

33 minutes ago, placnx said:

Can we use our Thai drivers license? It works most places - boarding planes, post office, for example.

Sorry, don't know.  I've never used my Thai driver's or motorcycle license at either SCB or Bangkok Bank.  I just know that when I do an inside-the-bank transaction (e.g., getting a withdrawal bigger than my ATM account allows, getting a new ATM card, or simply informing them of new passport number), I've always made sure I had my passport with me.  They've never requested anything else. 

On 9/5/2023 at 1:47 PM, donsaiyuan said:

Hi,

I'm a US citizen with a valid passport and Thai visa with current valid permission to stay. I'd like to apply for a United States Passport card to use as a second photo ID for my bank. They've accepted my main passport and a friend at the same bank mentioned just get this card and that will suffice for the second photo ID. I haven't been back since 2008 and no longer have a current State ID and don't want to go through the hassle of flying back, establishing residency in a state, applying for a drivers license, etc.

Have any of you US citizens applied for and received a Passport Card? If so were you able to recently do it online or did you have to make an appointment at the embassy? I checked the embassy website but didn't find the info I needed.

I'm not looking for any "why don't you just get a different bank" or "go check the embassy site" or "go check google" or "when I did it in 2012 it was like Xyz" responses.

I'm asking here in hopes of legitimately helpful responses as I've received over previous years.

I'd prefer to get the Passport Card in Chiang Mai since I'm located in Khon Kaen. But that might not be possible.

What are the current options?

It might be a stretch to ask if anyone has seen embassy consular visits that were common once per year in each Isaan province pre-COVID, where the embassy staff would handle passport renewals (they'd take the form, photo and payment on-site in say Udon or Khon Kaen, and handle the rest by mail courier) -but if you've heard any updates or these have resumed, maybe that's an option to pursue the Passport Card application.

Asking this extra bit in case the replies help someone else searching similar in future.

Thanks a lot for all advice in the past, -much appreciated!

As renewed Passports are issued through the Embassy in Bangkok, I would think that the cards would also be issued only there. But I have not done so. I use my US Passport and Thai Driver's License as the two IDs if required.