Air deflector (possibly wrong terminology) for air conditioner units

JayClay

I'm not sure this is the appropriate sub-form for this topic. Mods please move it if it's not.

The problem with renting properties in Thailand is that the owners tend to put the air conditioning units directly in front of the TV in the living room, and pointing directly at your face in the bedroom. This makes it impossible for me to be comfortable. I like my room to be cool, but I don't want a constant stream of icy air constantly in my face.

Before I get the cardboard and glue out, does anybody know if there are any pre-existing solutions to redirect or disperse the air flow? I had a quick google for "air deflector for air conditioner" and got some results but they seem to be for the compressor and not the unit itself.

Most ACs have them built in. Just look for the symbols on the remote to direct the air up or down or left or right. 

Some modern ACs have additional functions to direct the air directly to humans, or direct the air away from humans. But I am pretty sure these functions exist only on few ACs (i.e. some Daikin). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never used such reflectors. But I would be careful about the temperature control.

Depending on the positions of such reflectors it could happen that the cooled air is (in part) redirected to the temperature sensor which normally measures the surrounding air temperature.

When that happens then maybe the AC "thinks" it is a lot cooler in your room than it actually is...

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most ACs have them built in. Just look for the symbols on the remote to direct the air up or down or left or right. 

Some modern ACs have additional functions to direct the air directly to humans, or direct the air away from humans. But I am pretty sure these functions exist only on few ACs (i.e. some Daikin). 

I have a Daikin unit with such a feature, called "comfort", to direct the airflow up high away from humans. Sometimes, during hot season I direct the airflow toward me as it allows me to use the aircon at a lower setting (higher temperature) to save power.

I've never seen an aircon unit that doesn't have air direction blades. Even the oldest archaic units should have them.

I did have to get air direction blades for an outdoor unit though. They installed it so close to a wall in a corner that the hot outflow was deflecting off the wall and back into the unit, causing it to overheat. You'd think the installers would be aware of this problem. Other times they installed them too close to the mounting wall to impede cooling inflow to the back of the unit.

Edited by JensenZ

It's a little off topic (for rented property) but Samsung have a range of ACs that have what they call 'Wind Free' feature. Basically the cover for the air vent is perforated; you can either run the A/C with the vent open or closed. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it works very well. Diffuses the air flow very effectively. Whether the little holes will clog up with dust after a while remains to be seen but it can be removed and cleaned easily enough.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, JayClay said:

I'm not sure this is the appropriate sub-form for this topic. Mods please move it if it's not.

The problem with renting properties in Thailand is that the owners tend to put the air conditioning units directly in front of the TV in the living room, and pointing directly at your face in the bedroom. This makes it impossible for me to be comfortable. I like my room to be cool, but I don't want a constant stream of icy air constantly in my face.

Before I get the cardboard and glue out, does anybody know if there are any pre-existing solutions to redirect or disperse the air flow? I had a quick google for "air deflector for air conditioner" and got some results but they seem to be for the compressor and not the unit itself.

Lots of air deflectors for A/C available on Lazada/etc.

• Thumbs Up 1