Keeping house cool in Isaan

The uk based lady  has a family house in Isaan.  Fairly typical property  consisting of the old wooden structure with wooden windows and thin slatted wood walls.   .  The house is built up underneath and extended.   

SO the issue is the upstairs is unoccupied  .   It is like an oven and not mozzy proof.   

Air con seems wasteful   .     Any thoughts  such as lagging the walls  or using fine mess net on the walls and roof vents.   

1 hour ago, surreybloke said:

It is like an oven

It would be.

1 hour ago, surreybloke said:

Air con seems wasteful 

Again, it would be as it would go straight out the ceiling.

Apart from spending big $'s, you be better off starting over, i.e. knock it down.

You need a high pitch roof where you can stand in, high ceilings, cavity walls, thermal reflective sisolation and insulation batts, the higher the rating the better it will be, whirly birds, and wide eaves to keep the house cool. anything less than that is a fail in my opinion.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thumbs Up 1

i am still trying to investigate this but I am looking for some guidance on insulating walls.    The rough idea is that downstairs is fairly cool .  So creating some sort of convection current and through the existing roof.    maybe look at using rotating roof cowls