Invasion By Unwanted Web Site

strawberry

I'm back.

That web site gave 8 virus's and I figure thoses baskets ought to have there hands cut off. caused me to be off line for about 5 weeks. Living in the middle of a large rice paddy makes it difficult to find a reliable techie.

I've now downloaded all the security downloads from MS and 30 day free trials from McAfee so I'm now hoping I'm fully covered.

My problem now is that I can't send or receive e-mail on my Outlook Express and the 2 local techies don't know how to fix it. Anyone got any ideas ???

I've been reading some of the things said in this section and I see people talking about other browsers. I've got no idea how to access these. I'm strictly a greenhorn in these matters. Perhaps if I lived in BKK. or CM I could get get one of you bright guys to teach me.

When I first bought one of these new fangled machines I seem to remember people using the term ''user friendly'' That sure hasn't been my experience. When friends overseas found out I was thinking of buying a PC the advice was buy Compact you will get good after sales service. Perhaps in other countries but not here in the land of the smiles. After 12 months I got rid of the damned thing and bought something different.

Anyhow its great to be back.

Joe Strawberry

Get yourself a firewall too - eg. Zone Alarm. Some of the more recent viruses spread by trying to connect to random IP numbers - if they succeed they copy themselves onto your machine. So now you can 'catch' things without opening mail or visiting a website. Great eh ?

Try Mozilla as an alternative browser. It has a built in popup blocker that you will grow to love. Just download and install.

mate get yourself the firewall recommended by crushdepth above.

is a very easy one to use and is quite effective.

download the file and install it. have it load on start up of windoze, and it will learn what programs you are using and only allow those programs access to the internet. eg. when you try to go somewhere with your browser it pops up a window asking if you want to let your browser access the internet, select always and allow and you won't see the popup again.

also you may want to try mozilla firefox from the link above, it is a lot smaller than Internet Explorer.

maybe if you post your general location, someone can PM(personal message you) and maybe come around for some instruction for the price of a chat and a few beers.

:o

Thanks Folks

Couple of days ago I downloaded from McAfee Their Security Center, Spam killer and Virus scan all these seem to be working OK. These are a 30 day trial so if I'm satisfied with them I still have to pay for them. I keep on getting blocks mostly from someone called Porames Kruethong at CS Communications in Bangkok. I'll contact them after this e-mail. I'll stick with this lot now unless someone can tell me why I should change.

My main problem now is that I can't send or receive email through my Outlook Express. The local techie does not seem to be able to fix it and dwnloading from MS does not work or perhaps I don't know how to make it work. Being a PC greenhorn that would be in the cards. If I can't fix it by Monday I'll strap it to the mo bike and take it to Pichit town. A friend tells me there is PC workshop there with more than one Techie

Regards Joe :o

hmm.. might be a problem with the SMTP or POP settings in your email client. You can check these by going into teh 'accounts' setting in your outlook or equivelent. Have you changed ISP recently? ie: loxinfo to asianet etc. They have different SMTP and POPs so your email may not have been updated.

Sorry, i'm not 100% sure what you've been up to so i'm not sure of your history. Might be a good place to start though.

Hi Benthai,

mate you could be right. This morning I've been trying to the bottom of it. I haven't changed my ISP. Been with CS.com for the past couple of years. I can get out through my internet explorer. If I go on to csloxinfo website I can receive mail but not send it out also I sent an email to supportloxinfo but the mail came back stating ''delivery temporary suspended'' and ''the evaluation licence suspended''.

My last recept from the BKK bank is dated16th of last month and I haven't yet received another. Today I tried to contact them by phone but no answer. When it first happened I rang support and they told me I was OK at that end. Some time ago they sent me an email telling me they were changing the address but I put the mail aside to read later but the next day was when I got a stack of virus's and that screwed things up.

I'll go try again and see if I can get to them