Hello , 

South African passport for reference. 

- ED visa , full time degree, about to get a 1 year extension for yr 2 studies 

expires 17 oct 23’

- Passport old: 

expires 2030 

pages are finished (2-3 left) 

- ed visa and re entry affixed

- the passport was ‘cancelled’ for use exiting the South African border (exit stamp SA in new passport) but the actual book itself has no indent, cuts, changes or cancellation in a sense.

- Used old passport and informed DMK Imm. That I need to transfer the visa , but then the re entry stamp was scratched over with pen and the entry stamp was placed in old not new. 
I was told to go to CW for transfer 

- Passport new

- expire 2032

- made a month ago in South Africa

Left Bangkok during uni holiday for the renewal as the BKK embassy takes 6-8 months minimum to process.

- the dedicated visa faculty at campus mentions that I was supposed to have a letter that says my passport has changed, so that when I get my extension, it is put into the new passport , since the new passport number will reflect everywhere internally.

what is expected at CW during the visa renewal and what is expected to happen for transfer 

best regards 

You will need to go to the local immigration office to get necessary stamps transferred to the new passport.

You may or may not need a letter from your embassy requesting the stamp transfer. Many countries have stopped providing these, and Immigration will do the transfer without. If there is no indication in the new passport that it supersedes the old one, a letter may be needed, and this may well be the reason why Immigration at the airport refused to use the new passport on entry.

You need to confirm the letter requirement with your embassy and local immigration office. Otherwise, the process is simple.