Chiang Mai University professor survives on just 118 baht per month amidst civil servant salary debate

webfact

image.jpeg

A Chiang Mai University professor revealed he struggled for a year on a monthly wage of just 118 baht, a situation that led to a difficult life, reports Khaosod.

He had to use an old motorcycle to commute to work, and there were times when he ran out of fuel midway. The issue of splitting civil servants’ salaries into two payments per month is currently a topic of widespread debate in society, with opinions divided.

Associate Professor Tatsanai Sethaseree, a teacher in the Department of Media Art and Design, Faculty of Fine Arts at Chiang Mai University, shared one aspect of a civil servant’s life. He stated that when he was first appointed as a regular teacher nearly 20 years ago, he received a salary of around 17,500 baht.

His parents used their retirement money to buy a plot of land and paid a portion of the house construction cost. Tatsanai borrowed the rest from the university welfare to complete the house without telling his parents. Every month, 70% of his salary was automatically deducted to repay the welfare debt, leaving only a few thousand baht to cover his expenses.

by Nattapong Westwood

TOP: Tatsanai Sethaseree next to his artwork. Photo courtesy of Khaosod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

Last university lecturer I heard of was earning 800/1000 baht per hour with private tuition (Double High School teacher rate).

University lecturers generally learn a lot less than high school teachers and that's worldwide.

Less qualifications and less skills required in university teaching.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

His parents used their retirement money to buy a plot of land and paid a portion of the house construction cost. Tatsanai borrowed the rest from the university welfare to complete the house without telling his parents. Every month, 70% of his salary was automatically deducted to repay the welfare debt, leaving only a few thousand baht to cover his expenses.

He maybe a Professor but not the sharpest Tool in the Shed.

• Haha 1

move closer to work and walk or bike.....sleep at the temple and also get free food

grow your own veggies..i see thais take fruit and herbs off trees outside all the time...

rice is cheap.....do a side job or find a new job.....i bike by a banana tree daily .....i see thais fishing as i bike around too....... sell his motorbike for a bicycle?  

i see homeless in city daily..how do they get by????

but then again thais and debt.......debt=slavery

• Like 1