Rainbow Folklore

guyham

I live in the environs of Udon Thani; have for the past five years,, and have recently come across a piece of Thai folklore which I find very strange. Now this may sound like something cooked up by a bunch of drunken farangs late at night at the bar, but I swear this comes from a number of Thai wives married to farangs. OK, the folklore is this – if you point your finger at a rainbow it is very bad luck and the only way to alleviate the bad luck is to stick your finger up your backside. I told you it sounds like a drunken farang makeup. Moreover, my Thai wife says it is rubbish. Anyone heard of this before? No one seems to know the origin of this piece of folklore. Maybe it is something unique to our village or are the locals trying to wind me up?

I live in the environs of Udon Thani; have for the past five years,, and have recently come across a piece of Thai folklore which I find very strange. Now this may sound like something cooked up by a bunch of drunken farangs late at night at the bar, but I swear this comes from a number of Thai wives married to farangs. OK, the folklore is this – if you point your finger at a rainbow it is very bad luck and the only way to alleviate the bad luck is to stick your finger up your backside. I told you it sounds like a drunken farang makeup. Moreover, my Thai wife says it is rubbish. Anyone heard of this before? No one seems to know the origin of this piece of folklore. Maybe it is something unique to our village or are the locals trying to wind me up?

The Fang of Gabon (Africa) are initiated into the religion by a "transcendent experience when they arrive at the rainbow's center, for there they can see both the entire circle of the rainbow and of the earth, signaling the success of their vision.

" The Fang also prohibit their children from looking at the rainbow.

A double rainbow features reversed colors in the outer (secondary) bow, not unlike the rainbow Morpheus leaves behind at the end of Chapter 2 of Brief Lives.

For Buddhists, the rainbow is "the highest state achievable before attaining Nirvana, where individual desire and consciousness are extinguished."

Izanami and Izanagi, the male and female creators of the world in Japanese myth, "descended on the Floating Bridge of Heaven to create land from the ocean of chaos." In many texts this bridge is known as a rainbow.

"alleviate the bad luck is to stick your finger up your backside" maybe thier noses were full!!!!

:o

When teaching an advanced class at Khon Kaen University, we were discussing folktales & superstitions and amongst some very strange ones, I was told to always sleep with your feet covered so that a gecko couldn't bite your toes. If one did bite you, the only way to release its bite was to stick your finger up where the sun doesn't shine!