Russian Man Returns Home After Living at the Phuket Airport for 14 Days

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket – A Russian man has returned home after he stayed at the Phuket International Airport for 14 days.

The Phuket Tourist Assistance Center (TAC) told the Phuket Express on Thursday (September 21st) that fourteen days before, a 38-year-old Russian man whose name was withheld by airport officials missed his flight back to Russia. He had no money left after spending it all on his holiday and had no luggage or way to purchase a hotel room or another ticket.

The only two things that he had left were his mobile phone and his passport. He said he was waiting for his mother to buy him a new flight ticket to get back home but cash was tight and as a result he was stuck living in the airport terminal.

The TAC, the Phuket Tourist Police, and staffers at the airport helped to take care of him for the past several weeks. 

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2023-09-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Reminds me of a story my friend told me, who booked a flight from London to Bangkok with Aeroflot, via Moscow. The outgoing flight was delayed so he arrived too late to pick up the Moscow Bangkok one. He went to the transit desk and asked when the next flight would be. "Tuesday", he was told. "But today is Wednesday" he replied. 

"Da".

OK, he said, I go visit Moscow while I wait. Where I get worthless Soviet money to spend?

"Nyet", was the stern reply

Sorry No can DO (this was back in the good ole days). No visa, no leave airport. So he spent the next six days living  life to the full  in Moscow Airport.

True story (so he said).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The TAC, the Phuket Tourist Police, and staffers at the airport helped to take care of him for the past several weeks. 

lucky you ! make the same mistake in a "poor" country and you could be starving to  death before your mom's ticket reaches you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Reminds me of a story my friend told me, who booked a flight from London to Bangkok with Aeroflot, via Moscow. The outgoing flight was delayed so he arrived too late to pick up the Moscow Bangkok one. He went to the transit desk and asked when the next flight would be. "Tuesday", he was told. "But today is Wednesday" he replied. 

"Da".

OK, he said, I go visit Moscow while I wait. Where I get worthless Soviet money to spend?

Sorry No can DO (this was back in the good ole days). No visa, no leave airport. So he spent the next six days living  life to the full  in Moscow Airport.

True story (so he said).

Similar thing happened to My Late Brother & Sister-In-Law,They were STUCK in Moscow Airport fo Over 72 Hours !!

7 hours ago, nglodnig said:

"Da".

True story (so he said).

may be he did book with Aeroflot as it was cheaper.. lesson learnt, go Emirates next time

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

OK, slipping into my usual role of Thai apologist here, excellent care and compassion shown by TAC, the Phuket Tourist Police, and staffers at Phuket International Airport in making this guy's extended stay as comfortable as possible, including treatment at a local hospital and ALL at no extra cost too.

Now, back to our regular hating programming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

What to expect with the russian airlines that sell tickets for Thailand as low as 350 bucks.

Great and unbeatable deals however with the Russian airliners,  provided one arrives well on time and finds a port of embarkment outside Russia.

What has low, Russian bucket shop airfares got to do with a guy running out of money and exemplary Thai hospitality?

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

What has low, Russian bucket shop airfares got to do with a guy running out of money and exemplary Thai hospitality?

Read the article once again.

Shake well, andread it again and afterwards repeat it 3 times a day.

If you still do not understand, please do come back and we will try to help you. ????

9 hours ago, swm59nj said:

This is great news for any tourists that have money to get to Thailand but can’t afford a place to stay. 
And any expats with barebones income.  They can try to live at the airport. 

Such hatred for expats. Why oh why?  Do you realise if all expats left tomorrow emptying their accounts the results for Thailand would be very serious and quite possible cause a run on thai banks.

• Confused 1

About 8 years ago I had to fly back to the UK for my mum's funeral.  Since I didn't know on exactly what date I would return to Thailand (1 day, 2 days, 3 days later etc), I bought a single ticket from BKK to Heathrow and took along cash to buy the return ticket.

After the funeral and all matters were sorted, I returned to the Heathrow area to buy a ticket back to Thailand.  Unfortunately, the price of all tickets were far higher on the London-BKK leg than the other way!  I didn't have enough money to buy the ticket.  But one agent found me a ticket flying via Cairo that I could afford, except the flight left Heathrow 4 days later!  I had no choice, being eternally skint.  So I 'bedded' down at Terminal 3 (I seem to recall), and spent 3 days walking around the terminals all day.  In the evening the police came to visit me and allowed me to sleep in the terminal because I had a ticket and it was freezing cold in winter outside.

When I finally checked in and tried to board my flight, the ground staff at first refused to let me board because I had no return ticket back to London and my long-stay visa was for Myanmar (where I was working).  It took a lot of effort and showing documents for my Thai son etc to persuade the staff to let me board.

After that incident, I vowed never to be left short of cash in the future.  (Unfortunately, I've broken these vows on many occasions!!).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1