Toyota Hilux Vigo manual gearbox

TorquayFan

My trusty Vigo has done 300,000 km and the gearbox is starting to get a bit notchy, particularly when moving away.

Obviously it would be good to replace the gearbox oil, but is there another level of gearbox service to ask for, replacing a bush or something like that ?

I don't want to go into the Dealer and get ripped off with something I don't need !

Thanks

20 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Vigo has done 300,000 km and the gearbox is starting to get a bit notchy, particularly when moving away.

Obviously it would be good to replace the gearbox oil,

Yer recon it would be good to replace the oil after 300k really are you sure about that? 

• Like 1

Go to B-Quik and change the trans oil first.

If you have never changed the oil, you may have caused a problem yourself with the mechanicals.  ????

Don't dismiss the clutch is on the way out, or needs adjusting, I don't know if it is self adjusting on your ride..........????

• Like 1

Its sensible to change gearbox and diff oil every 100k km.

Gearbox should be a 75W/85 - 75W/90 GL4.  Do not use a GL5.

Diff should be 75W/90 GL5.

The clutch is hydraulic and cannot be adjusted (there is adjustment on pushrod but its factory set, don't meddle with it).

Diagnosing gearbox problems without driving the vehicle is difficult. You might want to attempt the following:

1. Engine off, clutch depressed.  Select all gears. Excessive notchiness or stiffness indicates problems/damage with selectors. Looseness/sloppy indicates worn linkage/lever bushes.

2. Start engine. Depress clutch fully. Wait at least 5 seconds. Engage gears in turn but keep clutch depressed. Operation should feel similar to in (1) above. Grinding indicates clutch drag (clutch fault or air in fluid).  Baulking also failure to fully release.

3. Drive the car.  Baulking indicates worn synchromesh.  Normally synchro wear is first evident on 2nd and 3rd.

If the synchros are worn you need to rebuild the box and replace hard parts. 

• Like 1