Is there a cheap and safe way to reduce 12v DC to 8v DC 5 amps

Kenny202

Struggling to find an 8volt 5 amp DC power adapter cheaply. There are plenty of 12 volt ones around

Would it be safe to put a cheap component like a resistor or something on the DC side to reduce the voltage?

I assume in series on the positive lead? (or parallel across + -)

At 5 amps it is a reasonable amount of power so don't want anything to heat up too much or be a safety risk.

Powering a LED panel video light so close to 8 volt should be ok. The unit has an 8 volt input socket for a power adapter

Full disclosure, I don't own one of these.  And I'd recommend buying the 10A model if you want to power 5A LED's just for a safety factor (and the 10A model is out of stock).  But it may provide a place to start.  Variable voltage...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/adapter-ac-to-dc-ac-100-240v-dc-3-24v-dc9-24v-dc3-12v-1a-2a-3a-5a-10a-us-plug-i4355067870-s17356178785.html?

38 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Struggling to find an 8volt 5 amp DC power adapter cheaply. There are plenty of 12 volt ones around

Would it be safe to put a cheap component like a resistor or something on the DC side to reduce the voltage?

I assume in series on the positive lead? (or parallel across + -)

At 5 amps it is a reasonable amount of power so don't want anything to heat up too much or be a safety risk.

Powering a LED panel video light so close to 8 volt should be ok. The unit has an 8 volt input socket for a power adapter

Applying 12 v directly will probably be ok. I would do that but you risk damaging your unit. So if it's cheap to replace try. If it's an expensive item best to follow on with trying the specked voltage. DC to DC converters on Lazada. 

2 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Applying 12 v directly will probably be ok. I would do that but you risk damaging your unit. So if it's cheap to replace try. If it's an expensive item best to follow on with trying the specked voltage. DC to DC converters on Lazada. 

It wont work. The unit has its own internal smarts / electronics inside. Comes up with an error message and shuts down...over volt

Here's another one I don't own, but looks promising:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xl4015-5a-by-zerobike-i166183335-s203872299.html?

Or go to YouTube and look for videos on driving LED's.  They may steer you toward PWM controllers, which have become extremely affordable.  Here's one that ships from "overseas"  I'm sure you could buy one shipped from Thailand.  Or go down to Ban Mo electronics market if you're near Bangkok Chinatown.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/pwm-dimming-controller-for-led-lights-i4707402494.html?

19 minutes ago, impulse said:

Full disclosure, I don't own one of these.  And I'd recommend buying the 10A model if you want to power 5A LED's just for a safety factor (and the 10A model is out of stock).  But it may provide a place to start.  Variable voltage...

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/adapter-ac-to-dc-ac-100-240v-dc-3-24v-dc9-24v-dc3-12v-1a-2a-3a-5a-10a-us-plug-i4355067870-s17356178785.html?

Thanks for your help mate. Just ordered one. Incredibly cheap under 200 baht too. And locally from Bangkok too. have 300+ positive reviews so it should be ok. I don't know how you found it. I searched Lazada high and low thins morning...Thai and English...but thanks a bunch. I just went back to check because usually these cheaper power supplies are AC secondary (not DC) and the DC ones usually wire wound and much more expensive. It is DC so happy days ????

Edited by Kenny202

Will do. Still a bit skeptical as I know I was looking for a 14v supply some time ago and you just couldn't use one of the light electronic power supplies. I forget why but it had to be a copper wound job and they are expensive these days. Anyway, can't beat all those reviews. If it is ok I will turn around and buy the 9-24v also. I have quite a bit of vintage sound and vision gear and many have odd voltages. Thanks again my friend ????

Just following up. Received the adjustable power pack today and works like a charm ???? You are a lifesaver. Not a light flimsy electronic thing either. Feels like a proper copper wound trx. Will definitely buy another one in a different range. I am always looking for odd voltage power supplies and generally they are expensive, if you can find one at all. Thank you so much again ????