Free moving blankets

gamb00ler

3 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

seems to me a group to help homeless or hill tribe blanket drive would be interested---FB?

I don't think anyone would willing cover themselves with these moving blankets, even the ones that are in excellent shape.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I don't think anyone would willing cover themselves with these moving blankets, even the ones that are in excellent shape.

Why not? If one is cold enough they will use leaves and branches.

Sure, many of those moving blankets may be made of wool and that might be itchy but that wouldn't be so much of an issue with wearing some clothing.

At a minimum, toss one or two in a corner for the dog to curl up on.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

They're called blankets only because they're used to cover things.

They are very coarse material, deteriorate very quickly when outside, don't smell so great even when new.... have you guys never worked with this type of blanket?

Our dog probably would turn her nose up at such a bed.  She's become convinced she's a princess. ????

Moving blankets are made from different materials. 

I have personally seen and used different variations of them. Yes, some are better than others and some can be used for other purposes than others. So, it would be best to actually understand what type (and condition) those free blankets are......but hey, it's your choice to make assumptions.

You might want to educate yourself a little about moving blankets:

https://www.lodimetals.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-moving-blankets

A few quotes from that site but other sites say the similar thing:

"Pets are attracted to moving blankets as they provide much more heat from the layers of fabric than traditional household blankets."

"Moving Blankets are safe to sleep on and are commonly used inside vehicles. Most of our customers who are not using moving blankets tend to keep them in their vehicles for moving applications and while not in use an emergency blanket that also serves as a warm blanket to sleep with or just to keep you warm during the cold winter months."

NOTE: Maybe your dog needs educated too....  ????

47 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Moving blankets are made from different materials. 

I have personally seen and used different variations of them. Yes, some are better than others and some can be used for other purposes than others. So, it would be best to actually understand what type (and condition) those free blankets are......but hey, it's your choice to make assumptions.

You might want to educate yourself a little about moving blankets:

https://www.lodimetals.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-moving-blankets

A few quotes from that site but other sites say the similar thing:

"Pets are attracted to moving blankets as they provide much more heat from the layers of fabric than traditional household blankets."

"Moving Blankets are safe to sleep on and are commonly used inside vehicles. Most of our customers who are not using moving blankets tend to keep them in their vehicles for moving applications and while not in use an emergency blanket that also serves as a warm blanket to sleep with or just to keep you warm during the cold winter months."

NOTE: Maybe your dog needs educated too....  ????

I thought the strongest indication of the best use of these items was given in their name.  If you know of a charity that thinks they would be useful I will not refuse their request.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

I thought the strongest indication of the best use of these items was given in their name.  If you know of a charity that thinks they would be useful I will not refuse their request.

A name doesn't mean squat these days. 

Example: 'Cell phone' - 'Mobile phone'....  'Phone' to me means to make and receive an audio call.......but as we all know they are used for much more, right?

I hope you find someone that can use them. If I were still in the area I would come by and probably grab 10 or so as I can think of a few things I'd use them for providing they were in satisfactory condition.

Cheers!

19 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

They are very coarse material, deteriorate very quickly when outside, don't smell so great even when new.... have you guys never worked with this type of blanket?

If I had a tent with a ground sheet, I would put the ground sheet on top of the moving blanket.

Our dog probably would turn her nose up at such a bed.  She's become convinced she's a princess. ????

take em to the sewing lady so she can make cute sweaters for the soi dogs in this crazy heat

20 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

If I had a tent with a ground sheet, I would put the ground sheet on top of the moving blanket.

I remember moving blankets! Not a US term, if you ever moved furniture or fine arts, you would know.

As you say they aren't for sleeping, although have made a bed in the back of a lorry from them plenty of times. They are a bit itchy.

Edited by recom273
  • Thumbs Up 2