On 10/2/2023 at 12:07 PM, Andy F said:

Atheist, agnostic or freethinker in AA?

Free online conference of Secular AA

7 - 8th of October 2023

Please pass it on

????????????

IMG-20231002-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20231002-WA0009.jpg

My opinion about this organization, if it indeed is one, is that it should not be using the AA name. Most of the speakers advertised here are authors of Non AA literature and the several of the speakers look to be from the medical community, something I've rarely seen at proper AA conventions and roundups.  Especially with topics like "Dopamine and the 12 steps". Using the AA name for this organization may very well go against AA tradition. Quite obviously the use of Non AA approved literature and featuring authors of such literature clearly illustrates a departure from actual AA. In this light, out of respect for Alcoholics Anonymous I would urge this organization to not use AA in it's name, advertising or promotion. AA is AA. "Secular AA" advertised here looks to me to not be AA but something else. It may use the 12 steps but in my opinion it is not AA. I will be researching this more as I'm very interested in AA tradition.

I would ask, that if this organization feels so strongly about it's convictions of agnosticism, atheisim and the like why they feel the need to attach themselves to AA? Why not just borrow the 12 steps and make up their own name? AA's very principle core is about seeking a Power Greater to solve the alcoholism problem. If the organization is so strongly opposed to this why not just go it alone with their convictions?

Edited by likerdup1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1