I want to buy the Honda ADV 160 but how to "Deal" with the Dealer!?

Furioso

I went to the Honda Motorbike Dealer today(because my friend was interested in the CBR150). Before I know it I'm hopping on all sorts of bikes and liking what I'm seeing. For once a nice trainee was very helpful, looking up the prices of the 5 or 6 bikes my friend and I were interested in. But man, the ADV in Pearl Smoky Grey slinking in the corner had me from "Hello Handsome". What an irresistible  beauty!

Welp, before I know it I'm asking how much to order my new infatuation. The ADV slinker in the store is already reserved but the Trainee said 500 baht to order one that will arrive in a month..which I quickly agreed, paid in full shortly thereafter. Then, before I know it the trainee disappears and I'm talking to a more seasoned older Thai salesperson/manager. She was a little difficult to understand, I did understand I need a Passport, TM30, proof of long stay visa..but I think she wants payment full before actually ordering the ADV, which they say will only take a month to arrive. 

I know This is Thailand. I really don't know the process. Anybody out there know when to pay when ordering a bike? What payment method(I'm assuming check from bank?)  Do I pay in full only when it arrives?  

Thanks!

Edited by Furioso
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

I went to the Honda Motorbike Dealer today(because my friend was interested in the CBR150). Before I know it I'm hopping on all sorts of bikes and liking what I'm seeing. For once a nice trainee was very helpful, looking up the prices of the 5 or 6 bikes my friend and I were interested in. But man, the ADV in Pearl Smoky Grey slinking in the corner had me from "Hello Handsome". What an irresistible  beauty!

Welp, before I know it I'm asking how much to order my new infatuation. The ADV slinker in the store is already reserved but the Trainee said 500 baht to order one that will arrive in a month..which I quickly agreed, paid in full shortly thereafter. Then, before I know it the trainee disappears and I'm talking to a more seasoned older Thai salesperson/manager. She was a little difficult to understand, I did understand I need a Passport, TM30, proof of long stay visa..but I think she wants payment full before actually ordering the ADV, which they say will only take a month to arrive. 

I know This is Thailand. I really don't know the process. Anybody out there know when to pay when ordering a bike? What payment method(I'm assuming check from bank?)  Do I pay in full only when it arrives?  

Thanks!

Tell them you buy only if they put it in your name, let them deal with that hassle. Yes only pay in full when it arrives, any money handovers take photo evidence, along with any docs you sign including photos of the book. They prefer finance as they get the interest IMO. good luck.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Furioso said:

Thanks!

Your friend was interested but you want to buy?

Normally you ask these questions BEFORE you go into a shop, so you know what to do (or your friend does, make up your mind) 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Good luck with that. No way will they do it. What about registration? Needs to be registered.

Try 50% upfront with balance on pick-up. Bank transfer for deposit. Cash or bank transfer on pick-up. Still think they won't accept but worth a try.

Personally, I would be wary of dealing with any dealer who was not helpful and friendly. I bought my ADV150 in 2020 from a dealer in Pathum Thani who has very friendly staff and manager. He wasn't sure about time for registration to a farang as he'd never done before. I gave him a copy of passport, visa, yellow book and pink ID and told him I would not buy unless it was registered. He came back to me a few days later after checking and said no problem. I then paid in full as I trusted him, and sure enough, 2 days later he sent me pictures of the registration and green book in my name. Superb service.

I ordered a big bike with 5000 the deposit, paid the 219 K thb just before I rode away. The same with my cars.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Furioso said:

Thanks!

My local dealer asked for a 2,000 thb deposit on ADV / PCX, to order a specific colour.

Said upto a Month, same.

The Lambo grey is very popular.

98,600 OTR.

Make sure to inspect the bike thoroughly before paying in full - chips / scratches / etc.

Cannot be claimed once you leave the dealership.

This Thai guy gives an honest 6 Months PROS / CONS review.

• Like 1

I have bought many bikes here. Never paid more than a 1,000 baht deposit. Not once. There was an ADV shortage, as Honda does not know how to plan inventory for new models. But they are readily available now. If you don't like the attitude of the sales person, ask for the manager. It usually works. 

What is the location you are buying?

A ADV, it has been a while I first checked a few years back when they came out  close to 100,000 or like 105,000 I was interested but felt it was a bit overpriced.

Personally, full price down and it takes a month I would walk and look elsewhere. In Pattaya, you have two main dealers, Honda itself and Mityon at times hard to tell the difference any other they might be pure independent which I stayed away from usually a bit more and they want to you to finance the bike.  I've purchased a number of Honda for myself and family for myself I've never been asked for more than a residential certificate to get it register.

• Like 1

Honda dealer in CM. Late August, I ordered a black ADV 160. They told me 2-3 months (!). I paid a deposit of 1,000. End of September, less than a month, they call me: ready. I paid in full and left with the thing. "Full" in my case was the difference between tag price of 106000 and the used Aerox that they bought off me. As always, the registration (green book) takes one month, meanwhile driving with temporary papers and mandatory national insurance.

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

In my Honda dealership in Pattaya, Thepprasit Road they have about 5 ADVs all ready to go. Just arrive with your documents and cash and ride it out. My problem would be paying the 8% farang tax they are charging.

I wouldn't pay the farang tax, better to go to Asia City Motors

• Like 2

500 Baht is a booking fee, forfeited if not picked up. 

By ALL MEANS do not pay in full as you do not know, if and what exactly arrives and - by experience - once it is paid, you are toast as far as dealers/vendors/sales staff is concerned. 

If they do not go along with the practice they deal with Thais (i.e two tier treatment) then just drop the line, that there are other Honda dealers in the neighbourhood or next town - which usually gets things moving as they do not want to see their sales commission disappear into thin air! 

32 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

500 Baht is a booking fee, forfeited if not picked up. 

By ALL MEANS do not pay in full as you do not know, if and what exactly arrives and - by experience - once it is paid, you are toast as far as dealers/vendors/sales staff is concerned. 

If they do not go along with the practice they deal with Thais (i.e two tier treatment) then just drop the line, that there are other Honda dealers in the neighbourhood or next town - which usually gets things moving as they do not want to see their sales commission disappear into thin air! 

I think you're right. I could see and feel the difference and it has weighed heavily on my mind ever since. 

18 hours ago, Furioso said:

I think you're right. I could see and feel the difference and it has weighed heavily on my mind ever since. 

I don't know anything about the vehicle in discussion but there must be more than one dealership. As said, I never prepay anything in this country anymore as I have been shortchanged so many times. Enough is enough; I certainly would be willing to forfeit a down payment if it is my fault but in case of prepayment I have nothing to argue with if they fail in delivery date, colour, specification etc. etc. Your call though .........