Rate Charging Suppliers based on ease of use?

Greenside

10 hours ago, Greenside said:

I can't understand the thinking behind excluding foreigners from using the PTT network given the swift rollout of their sites and the likelihood that we represent an above average proportion of early adopters.  Anyone?

I signed up with the PTT one (EV Station PluZ). 

No problem.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sophon said:

I just signed up to PTT's EV Pluz a few days ago, and the app happily accepted the non-Thai ID number I received when getting the Covid vaccinations.

Have you been able to set up a payment option within the EV Pluz app?  If so, what?   Thai credit/debit card, foreign credit/debit card?  

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

What did you use:  Thai ID card, Foreigner Pink ID card, or Passport?  Thanks.

I tried my Pink Card and UK passport and it didn't appear to accept either.  Maybe I should give it another chance...

Thanks everyone for all the helpful  replies and links.

Edited by Greenside
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pib said:

What did you use:  Thai ID card, Foreigner Pink ID card, or Passport?  Thanks.

Sorry, I have no idea. It was quite a while ago and it was my girlfriend who did it for me. I'll ask her about it in the morning.

It certainly wasn't a Thai ID card.

Edited by macahoom

Just now, macahoom said:

Sorry, I have no idea. It was quite a while ago and it was my girlfriend who did it for me. I'll ask her about it in the morning.

Thanks.

Assuming the girl friend is Thai she might have used her 13 digit Thai ID card number to register for you. 

And beyond the getting past the registration then there is a requirement for a "payment" option within the app which varies from app to app.  Some may only accept a "Thai credit card"....some may also accept a Thai debit card....some may also offer QR payment....and maybe, repeat, maybe some might accept "foreign" credit/debit cards. 

Registering for a certain app but then being unable to utilize/setup any payment option (like maybe having to use a Thai credit card that gets verified with the issuing bank first) can make the app useless to charge your vehicle since a payment option can not be setup.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I tried my Pink Card and UK passport and it didn't appear to accept either.  Maybe I should give it another chance...

In my "playing" around with the PTT EV Station Pluz app registration the registration data field titled National ID will accept my 13 digit Pink ID card but not my foreign passport.   I have not followed thru in trying to complete the registration primarily because I still trying to find out what "payment options" are acceptable.   Don't want to register only to find out I can't use the app to charge since I can't setup/utilize a certain payment option.

I did several emails back and forth with the Pluz Contact Center who said just use a Thai person's credit/debit card.  I asked several times if foreign credit/debit cards are accepted and they never gave a yes or no answer; instead, the always answered to use a Thai person's credit/debit card.  I guess that was their way of saying "No, foreign cards are not accepted....use a Thai person's credit/debit card."  

The problem with using "someone else's" credit/debit card (Thai or foreign) is there is usually a verification process where a SMS or email is sent to that person's mobile number or email that on-file with their bank; not sent to a mobile number/email you setup during the registration process.   And of course you need to have a family/friend who would allow you to use the credit/debit card info....pay the bill, etc.  

Yea...if a person can't setup a payment option/offered a payment they can use then simply being able to register on a app doesn't do a person any good in getting the electricity pumped into their EV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

In my "playing" around with the PTT EV Station Pluz app registration the registration data field titled National ID will accept my 13 digit Pink ID card but not my foreign passport.   I have not followed thru in trying to complete the registration primarily because I still trying to find out what "payment options" are acceptable.   Don't want to register only to find out I can't use the app to charge since I can't setup/utilize a certain payment option.

I did several emails back and forth with the Pluz Contact Center who said just use a Thai person's credit/debit card.  I asked several times if foreign credit/debit cards are accepted and they never gave a yes or no answer; instead, the always answered to use a Thai person's credit/debit card.  I guess that was their way of saying "No, foreign cards are not accepted....use a Thai person's credit/debit card."  

The problem with using "someone else's" credit/debit card (Thai or foreign) is there is usually a verification process where a SMS or email is sent to that person's mobile number or email that on-file with their bank; not sent to a mobile number/email you setup during the registration process.   And of course you need to have a family/friend who would allow you to use the credit/debit card info....pay the bill, etc.  

Yea...if a person can't setup a payment option/offered a payment they can use then simply being able to register on a app doesn't do a person any good in getting the electricity pumped into their EV.

It's a one time entry of CC info on the app.   Then they simply bill the CC every time you charge.  

10 hours ago, Pib said:

Have you been able to set up a payment option within the EV Pluz app?  If so, what?   Thai credit/debit card, foreign credit/debit card?  

I used my Bangkok Bank MasterCard debit card. When I signed up for Elexa, the app didn't accept that card so I used my foreign MJC debit card, but with Elexa you don't need to use a card for payment, as they also have the option of QR code payment and bank transfer. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, macahoom said:

It certainly wasn't a Thai ID card.

Again, I’m sorry but I’ve got this all wrong.

I am not signed up (for payment) to PTT EV Station PluZ.

It was about 18 months ago and someone who was charging his car set everything up for my Thai girlfriend. I do remember it was quite a palaver.

Anyway, using my phone, I just use her password for the app and the money is taken from her debit card.

Edited by macahoom
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

It's a one time entry of CC info on the app.   Then they simply bill the CC every time you charge.  

Thanks. 

Was there a card ownership verification process during that one time entry?

2 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Again, I’m sorry but I’ve got this all wrong.

I am not signed up (for payment) to PTT EV Station PluZ.

It was about 18 months ago and someone who was charging his car set everything up for my Thai girlfriend. I do remember it was quite a palaver.

Anyway, using my phone, I just use her password and the money is taken from her debit card.

Thanks. 

Could you ask her during the "payment initial setup" was there some kind of "verification process" to confirm the card she was entering was her card vs someone else's card like maybe sending a SMS code to the phone number she has on file with her bank....not the different phone number you might use during app regristration but the phone number her bank has linked to the card. If she remembers details from that initial payment setup/verification process that would be great.  Thanks again.

Bit of touch and go with PTT. I used my CIMB debit card. The transaction doesn’t always go through in which case you have to call the contact Center and they then take the money manually through their system. Same with my gf’s debit card (can’t remember whether CIMB or Kasikorn).

Eventually I obtained an online virtual debit card from Kasikorn and this now works without any issues. 

The easiest CS to work with is PEA. Payment is automatic is you select the autocharge method (more convenient than Elexa). Only problem is the slower chargers, mostly 50 kWh.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thanks. 

Could you ask her during the "payment initial setup" was there some kind of "verification process" to confirm the card she was entering was her card vs someone else's card like maybe sending a SMS code to the phone number she has on file with her bank....not the different phone number you might use during app regristration but the phone number her bank has linked to the card. If she remembers details from that initial payment setup/verification process that would be great.  Thanks again.

She's 90% sure (it was 18 months ago) that she got an SMS (to her only phone) from the bank. This SMS gave an OTP which she had to enter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, macahoom said:

She's 90% sure (it was 18 months ago) that she got an SMS (to her only phone) from the bank. This SMS gave an OTP which she had to enter.

Thanks....that definitely sounds right...the typical verification process to setup online payment.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Bit of touch and go with PTT. I used my CIMB debit card. The transaction doesn’t always go through in which case you have to call the contact Center and they then take the money manually through their system. Same with my gf’s debit card (can’t remember whether CIMB or Kasikorn).

Eventually I obtained an online virtual debit card from Kasikorn and this now works without any issues. 

The easiest CS to work with is PEA. Payment is automatic is you select the autocharge method (more convenient than Elexa). Only problem is the slower chargers, mostly 50 kWh.

So, it sounds like with PTT payment authorization is required to use the card each and every time "before" you begin charging as the initial payment setup in the app is just to get the card save in the app settings.   

Regarding the PEA app, where you say payment is "automatic" exactly what do you mean since payment has to occur using a credit/debit card or some other payment method where there is typically some approval/verification process?

For any of you that has used "QR/Promptpay" method that might be offered by an app/charging station, does the QR payment process occur before or after charging?   And if occurring before do you have to pay a "specific" amount before the actual charging even begins like saying I want to make payment for Bt100 worth of charge?   

I use QR/Promptpay payments several times a month and in all those cases you are paying a specific/set amount "before you get any product/service you are paying for."   Like hey, here's Bt100 for the vegetables I'm buying from you.   But with a charging station I looking for details on how the QR payment process works...done before the charging begins or after the charging is completed.

With a charging session where you vehicle might rack-up a charge of Bt160.23 before the charger cuts off are we saying the app will then start the process of you authorizing a QR payment of Bt160.23 "after" you have got all of that fresh electricity transferred into your EV battery?   I wouldn't think the app would be that trusting of the person following thru with payment or the QR payment would clear/might reject.   So, I'm guessing any QR payment method is completed "before" the charging process will even begin?

Sorry to harp on the specific verification/payment process details used by the different charging apps but like I mentioned before I don't even want to register for a certain app by giving them a bunch of personal info during the registration process and then after being registered you find out the payment process prevents you from easily or even using the app at all unless you are a Thai citizen.   You then wish you had never registered especially if it's one of those registrations you can not delete.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Thanks....that definitely sounds right...the typical verification process to setup online payment.

According to my girlfriend, with both MG and PEA your can hold a balance in your account and top up when necessary; no card required.

Some people seem to believe that only MG cars are allowed to charge at MG stations, but that has not been my experience the two times I used MG to charge. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if that rule may vary from location to location.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, macahoom said:

According to my girlfriend, with both MG and PEA your can hold a balance in your account and top up when necessary; no card required

Thanks.

Now my next question would be what payment methods they allow to topup your acct in order to have a balance?

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thanks.

Now my next question would be what payment methods they allow to topup your acct in order to have a balance?

Okay, I've just asked her.

Something like this. Hopefully you will understand, 'cause I certainly don't!

She can't remember how it's done with MG as it was well over three years ago that we deposited 1000 baht in it and the remaining balance is still about 300 baht. But with PEA you get or scan a QR code from the PEA app and then, using this QR code, you go to your internet banking and perform a transfer.

Don't shoot the messenger!

• Love It 1

On 10/2/2023 at 9:39 PM, Greenside said:

I can't understand the thinking behind excluding foreigners from using the PTT network given the swift rollout of their sites and the likelihood that we represent an above average proportion of early adopters.  Anyone?

I think that, as foreigners in the position to buy cars here comprise maybe only 5% of the population, the likelihood that they represent an above average percentage of EV buyers is a very odd suggestion. I'd suggest that, statistically, foreigners could represent, probably, no more than 5% of "early adopters". 

2 hours ago, Pib said:

For any of you that has used "QR/Promptpay" method that might be offered by an app/charging station, does the QR payment process occur before or after charging?   And if occurring before do you have to pay a "specific" amount before the actual charging even begins like saying I want to make payment for Bt100 worth of charge?   

I use QR/Promptpay payments several times a month and in all those cases you are paying a specific/set amount "before you get any product/service you are paying for."   Like hey, here's Bt100 for the vegetables I'm buying from you.   But with a charging station I looking for details on how the QR payment process works...done before the charging begins or after the charging is completed.

With a charging session where you vehicle might rack-up a charge of Bt160.23 before the charger cuts off are we saying the app will then start the process of you authorizing a QR payment of Bt160.23 "after" you have got all of that fresh electricity transferred into your EV battery?   I wouldn't think the app would be that trusting of the person following thru with payment or the QR payment would clear/might reject.   So, I'm guessing any QR payment method is completed "before" the charging process will even begin?

Sorry to harp on the specific verification/payment process details used by the different charging apps but like I mentioned before I don't even want to register for a certain app by giving them a bunch of personal info during the registration process and then after being registered you find out the payment process prevents you from easily or even using the app at all unless you are a Thai citizen.   You then wish you had never registered especially if it's one of those registrations you can not delete.

With Elexa you pay after the charging is finished so you know the exact amount you are paying .I don't know what they will do if you fail to pay, the first time I almost drove away without paying because I assumed they would just debit the card I had registered with them. You can pay via QR, bank transfer or with a credit/debit card you have saved in the app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1