Rate Charging Suppliers based on ease of use?

Greenside

48 minutes ago, Pib said:

@Gweiloman

The PEA app has an "Autocharge" function/setting in the Profile menu which based on the little bit of info I have found on it and one Thai language Youtube video that when you have your EV registered in the app and the Autocharge setting turned on (which I do), when you plug in your EV you don't have to go thru various steps in the app to get a charge session going....it just starts by itself after about 30 seconds of your EV and charger establishing a link.   As far as I know being registered in the app just means you have completed the app registration entries which I have done.

Now when doing my very first use of a PEA charger probably around 2 months ago at the very end of that process a pop-up menu displayed asking me if I wanted to setup AutoCharge but since it asked me that question out of the blue on my first use of the app/charger and at that time I didn't know what AutoCharge was so I just hit cancel to make that popup menu/message go away so I could complete the very final step of finishing the charging session.  Plus I still had my red tags so I couldn't even enter my Vehicle Registration License Plates (white) number since I didn't have my white plates yet...still running red plates and I just had 12345 entered in my Profile for a license plate number.  As as far I know entering your license plate number is optional.

Now I have used the PEA app a 2nd time about a month ago and the AutoCharge setting was turned on during that 2nd use...and I'm not sure if I still had my red plates at that time....but the Autocharge function don't seem to work for me although I have the Autocharge function turned on and now have white plates license entered.

Maybe the problem is I'm not waiting long enough....maybe the Autocharge will work and I'm just not waiting longer enough...maybe a person has to wait 30 or more seconds as the EV and charger communicate with each other. 

On my next PEA charger use I will wait longer...maybe up to a minute to see if the Autocharge kicks in.  But if it does take that long to work "Automatically" I think I would just instead click the app settings manually to get the charging session started sooner versus waiting for the Autocharge communications to kick-in.

And maybe the Autocharge only works if you have a RFID card registered in the app....but I don't think this is the situation based on what little info I have found on the subject, that youtube video, etc.

Yea, just wondering if Autocharge works for you?  If it does how long does it take to kick-in, any special steps a person must follow, etc.  Thanks.

Edit:  I found another Thai language video where they talk a little about the Autocharge regristration process and apparently all you need to do is to have your license plate number entered and the Autocharge setting turned on....see last snapshot where they started to enter the car license plate number.  

Snapshot from my PEA Volta Profile Menu

image.png.d05a94437f0af91fcf26a06e6529f38a.png

image.png.a61ca73afcd6ce64e4298cd6f803f57a.png

I’m not sure. All I do is to plug in the charger, scan the QR code, select which charger (AC, CCS or Chademo) and hey presto. At the end of the charging, I just unplug and the payment gets taken out automatically from my wallet. 

I didn’t enter my registration number as I have 2 vehicles.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m not sure. All I do is to plug in the charger, scan the QR code, select which charger (AC, CCS or Chademo) and hey presto. At the end of the charging, I just unplug and the payment gets taken out automatically from my wallet. 

I didn’t enter my registration number as I have 2 vehicles.

Yea...that's the manual method which is pretty easy/fast in itself.  But with Autocharge the EV and Charger supposedly make an automatic connection/starts charging without doing any/lot fewer manual steps.   In one youtube video it seemed the person just opened the app, plugged the charging cable into the EV, laid the phone on the hood of the car just to emphasize he's not pushing any icons in the app, and after about 30 seconds the charging process automatically started.   

Next time I'm out in the provinces I will try to give a PEA charger another try to see if Autocharge kicks in since the best I can figure I have the PEA app setup to Autocharge...give the app about a minute...if nothing happens automatically I will use the manual steps/icon pushing.  I live in Bangkok where according to the PEA app they only have one charger in the north Bangkok.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 2:29 PM, Pib said:

Yea...that's the manual method which is pretty easy/fast in itself.  But with Autocharge the EV and Charger supposedly make an automatic connection/starts charging without doing any/lot fewer manual steps.   In one youtube video it seemed the person just opened the app, plugged the charging cable into the EV, laid the phone on the hood of the car just to emphasize he's not pushing any icons in the app, and after about 30 seconds the charging process automatically started.   

Next time I'm out in the provinces I will try to give a PEA charger another try to see if Autocharge kicks in since the best I can figure I have the PEA app setup to Autocharge...give the app about a minute...if nothing happens automatically I will use the manual steps/icon pushing.  I live in Bangkok where according to the PEA app they only have one charger in the north Bangkok.  

Maybe that automation process is necessary to solve this problem:

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:37 AM, Pib said:

@Gweiloman

The PEA app has an "Autocharge" function/setting in the Profile menu which based on the little bit of info I have found on it and one Thai language Youtube video that when you have your EV registered in the app and the Autocharge setting turned on (which I do), when you plug in your EV you don't have to go thru various steps in the app to get a charge session going....it just starts by itself after about 30 seconds of your EV and charger establishing a link.   As far as I know being registered in the app just means you have completed the app registration entries which I have done.

Now when doing my very first use of a PEA charger probably around 2 months ago at the very end of that process a pop-up menu displayed asking me if I wanted to setup AutoCharge but since it asked me that question out of the blue on my first use of the app/charger and at that time I didn't know what AutoCharge was so I just hit cancel to make that popup menu/message go away so I could complete the very final step of finishing the charging session.  Plus I still had my red tags so I couldn't even enter my Vehicle Registration License Plates (white) number since I didn't have my white plates yet...still running red plates and I just had 12345 entered in my Profile for a license plate number.  As as far I know entering your license plate number is optional.

Now I have used the PEA app a 2nd time about a month ago and the AutoCharge setting was turned on during that 2nd use...and I'm not sure if I still had my red plates at that time....but the Autocharge function don't seem to work for me although I have the Autocharge function turned on and now have white plates license entered.

Maybe the problem is I'm not waiting long enough....maybe the Autocharge will work and I'm just not waiting longer enough...maybe a person has to wait 30 or more seconds as the EV and charger communicate with each other. 

On my next PEA charger use I will wait longer...maybe up to a minute to see if the Autocharge kicks in.  But if it does take that long to work "Automatically" I think I would just instead click the app settings manually to get the charging session started sooner versus waiting for the Autocharge communications to kick-in.

And maybe the Autocharge only works if you have a RFID card registered in the app....but I don't think this is the situation based on what little info I have found on the subject, that youtube video, etc.

Yea, just wondering if Autocharge works for you?  If it does how long does it take to kick-in, any special steps a person must follow, etc.  Thanks.

Edit:  I found another Thai language video where they talk a little about the Autocharge regristration process and apparently all you need to do is to have your license plate number entered and the Autocharge setting turned on....see last snapshot where they started to enter the car license plate number.  

Snapshot from my PEA Volta Profile Menu

image.png.d05a94437f0af91fcf26a06e6529f38a.png

image.png.a61ca73afcd6ce64e4298cd6f803f57a.png

UPDATE:  I hereby nominate the PEA Volta chargers & app as the easiest to use (and pay) among the 4 other charging apps (PTT EV Station Pluz, EA Anywhere, Elexa by Egat, and Altervim) that I'm registered with and all of which I have used several times each.  Now, none of the apps are hard to use but the PEA Volta app is still the simplest to use especially with Autocharge....repeat, especially with AutoCharge.   Without Autocharge the app works pretty much like other apps where you use your phone app to start, stop, possibly select payment method, etc....etc...etc.

Today/14 Jan I was able to get PEA Volta Autocharge working.   Did the weekly visit to the mother-in-laws home and dropped off the wife to visit as I went to play with a nearby PEA Volta DC Fast charger.  The goal to see if Autocharge would work since I had Autocharge turned on in the app but the Autocharge would never work like described in above video...which is pretty much plug the charging cable into your EV, push the Start icon on the charger display and then the charging starts....when you want to stop the charging just push Stop Charging on the charger's display which stops the charging and deducts the payment from your PEA Volta Wallet which you can top-up with either a debit/credit card or QR code.  I've always used the QR payment method to top-up my wallet.   No need to push anything on the app to start and stop charging...make payment...etc.,....Autocharging can all done on the Charger's display with just a couple button pushes on the its display screen.

OK, more details. On my first use of the charger today although the PEA Volta Autocharge setting was turned on in my app Profile, my EV did not start to Autocharge.   However, right after hitting Start Charging in the app or right after I hit the Stop charging in the app a window popped-up saying my EV was eligible for Autocharge and I just needed to enter my License Plate number in that pop-up window which I did...and a few seconds later while it said "Verifying" it then said I was now setup for Autocharge.  I already had my license plate number entered in my app Profile but after getting setup for Autocharge the plate number now also appears right under the Autocharge Mode setting.   

I was happy to see this Autocharge window pop-up and ask me to register for Autocharge because before today it had only done that on my very first use of PEA Volta a month or so ago at which time I declined Autocharge because I didn't really understand what AutoCharge really detailed.  And on a couple of follow-on uses it didn't ask me again about registering for Autocharge even though I had the Autocharge setting turned on in my app Profile.  But today when it asked again I did accept by entering my license plate number.

I complete that charge and hang the cable back on the charger.  Now time to do a 2nd charging session and see if just pressing the Start button on the Charger's Display (not the app, on the Charger) gets the charging session going.   I hook cable to the EV again, press the Start button on the Chargers display, about 5 seconds later I see the display say "Verifying" for a second or two and then the charging starts---I never pushed any buttons on the App....I did not scan the QR code on the charger...etc.  And when I pressed Stop Charging on the Charger's display it stopped and a few seconds later I get a notification on the PEA Volta app the charging had stopped and I got charged/paid X-amount.  I unplug the cable and hang it back on the charger.  Once again,  I never used the app other than having it open...didn't press any icons on the app....the charging was all Automatic...controlled by pressing start and stop on the Charger's display screen.

I then turned off Autocharge in the app and tried another charging session....the charging session would not automatically start by simply pressing the Charger's Start Charging button....when pressing start I would see "Verifying" for a second or two but no charging would start.   So, I started the charging session by scanning the charger's QR code, pressing Start in the app, and stopping the session by pressing stop....basically use using the app to control the charging session.

I then turn Autocharge back on in the App and tried a new charging session....once again the app is not being used at all....the whole charging process is done by just pressing Start Charging on the Charger's display (you don't even have to select which connector on the charger is being used if it has more than one connector)....the charging will start about 5 to 10 seconds after you press the Charger's Start Charging button. Truly Automatic.

And you don't even need to have your phone "turned on", repeat, your phone can be powered off....dead as a door nail to have Autocharge work.  As long as you had Autocharge turned on in your Profile in app that information is being maintained on the PEA Volta server in the sky.     I did such a "phone turned off test" where Autocharge was left turned on in the PEA app before closed the app/powered off the phone.  I was able to accomplish  charging session without my phone/PEA app not even being used.  Turn the phone back on, turn off Autocharge in the app, turn the phone off, and try another charging session---Autocharge would not work....would need to turn the phone back on and use the app to start/stop a charging session.

I could leave my phone (turned off) here at home....go the nearest PEA charger numerous kilometers away and since I left Autocharge turned on in the PEA app....I could charge my car as the app is not needed at all.   Truly automatic DC Fast Charger charging by just pressing Start and Stop on the charger itself.  About as simple as plugging my EV into my home wallcharger and waving the wallcharger's RFID card in front of it to turn on the charging session....wave the card in front of my wall charger again to turn of off.  

Yeap, the PEA Volta system has my vote as clearly the easiest charging app/chargers to use compared to above mentioned other four  charging apps/chargers---not to imply the other four I use are hard to use, it's just the PEA Volta app when setup for Autocharge makes it the clear winner.  Heck, leave your phone at home if desired....almost like Plug-and-Play....just need to ensure you keep your PEA Volta Wallet topped-up with enough baht to pay for charging sessions.  

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Pib said:

UPDATE:  I hereby nominate the PEA Volta chargers & app as the easiest to use (and pay) among the 4 other charging apps (PTT EV Station Pluz, EA Anywhere, Elexa by Egat, and Altervim) that I'm registered with and all of which I have used several times each.  Now, none of the apps are hard to use but the PEA Volta app is still the simplest to use especially with Autocharge....repeat, especially with AutoCharge.   Without Autocharge the app works pretty much like other apps where you use your phone app to start, stop, possibly select payment method, etc....etc...etc.

Today/14 Jan I was able to get PEA Volta Autocharge working.   Did the weekly visit to the mother-in-laws home and dropped off the wife to visit as I went to play with a nearby PEA Volta DC Fast charger.  The goal to see if Autocharge would work since I had Autocharge turned on in the app but the Autocharge would never work like described in above video...which is pretty much plug the charging cable into your EV, push the Start icon on the charger display and then the charging starts....when you want to stop the charging just push Stop Charging on the charger's display which stops the charging and deducts the payment from your PEA Volta Wallet which you can top-up with either a debit/credit card or QR code.  I've always used the QR payment method to top-up my wallet.   No need to push anything on the app to start and stop charging...make payment...etc.,....Autocharging can all done on the Charger's display with just a couple button pushes on the its display screen.

OK, more details. On my first use of the charger today although the PEA Volta Autocharge setting was turned on in my app Profile, my EV did not start to Autocharge.   However, right after hitting Start Charging in the app or right after I hit the Stop charging in the app a window popped-up saying my EV was eligible for Autocharge and I just needed to enter my License Plate number in that pop-up window which I did...and a few seconds later while it said "Verifying" it then said I was now setup for Autocharge.  I already had my license plate number entered in my app Profile but after getting setup for Autocharge the plate number now also appears right under the Autocharge Mode setting.   

I was happy to see this Autocharge window pop-up and ask me to register for Autocharge because before today it had only done that on my very first use of PEA Volta a month or so ago at which time I declined Autocharge because I didn't really understand what AutoCharge really detailed.  And on a couple of follow-on uses it didn't ask me again about registering for Autocharge even though I had the Autocharge setting turned on in my app Profile.  But today when it asked again I did accept by entering my license plate number.

I complete that charge and hang the cable back on the charger.  Now time to do a 2nd charging session and see if just pressing the Start button on the Charger's Display (not the app, on the Charger) gets the charging session going.   I hook cable to the EV again, press the Start button on the Chargers display, about 5 seconds later I see the display say "Verifying" for a second or two and then the charging starts---I never pushed any buttons on the App....I did not scan the QR code on the charger...etc.  And when I pressed Stop Charging on the Charger's display it stopped and a few seconds later I get a notification on the PEA Volta app the charging had stopped and I got charged/paid X-amount.  I unplug the cable and hang it back on the charger.  Once again,  I never used the app other than having it open...didn't press any icons on the app....the charging was all Automatic...controlled by pressing start and stop on the Charger's display screen.

I then turned off Autocharge in the app and tried another charging session....the charging session would not automatically start by simply pressing the Charger's Start Charging button....when pressing start I would see "Verifying" for a second or two but no charging would start.   So, I started the charging session by scanning the charger's QR code, pressing Start in the app, and stopping the session by pressing stop....basically use using the app to control the charging session.

I then turn Autocharge back on in the App and tried a new charging session....once again the app is not being used at all....the whole charging process is done by just pressing Start Charging on the Charger's display (you don't even have to select which connector on the charger is being used if it has more than one connector)....the charging will start about 5 to 10 seconds after you press the Charger's Start Charging button. Truly Automatic.

And you don't even need to have your phone "turned on", repeat, your phone can be powered off....dead as a door nail to have Autocharge work.  As long as you had Autocharge turned on in your Profile in app that information is being maintained on the PEA Volta server in the sky.     I did such a "phone turned off test" where Autocharge was left turned on in the PEA app before closed the app/powered off the phone.  I was able to accomplish  charging session without my phone/PEA app not even being used.  Turn the phone back on, turn off Autocharge in the app, turn the phone off, and try another charging session---Autocharge would not work....would need to turn the phone back on and use the app to start/stop a charging session.

I could leave my phone (turned off) here at home....go the nearest PEA charger numerous kilometers away and since I left Autocharge turned on in the PEA app....I could charge my car as the app is not needed at all.   Truly automatic DC Fast Charger charging by just pressing Start and Stop on the charger itself.  About as simple as plugging my EV into my home wallcharger and waving the wallcharger's RFID card in front of it to turn on the charging session....wave the card in front of my wall charger again to turn of off.  

Yeap, the PEA Volta system has my vote as clearly the easiest charging app/chargers to use compared to above mentioned other four  charging apps/chargers---not to imply the other four I use are hard to use, it's just the PEA Volta app when setup for Autocharge makes it the clear winner.  Heck, leave your phone at home if desired....almost like Plug-and-Play....just need to ensure you keep your PEA Volta Wallet topped-up with enough baht to pay for charging sessions.  

Excellent. I’m still a little confused how t get Autocharge setu and started. Do I need to do anything on my app?

One matter of concern though. Someone could “borrow” your car and charge it automatically until and unless you turn off autocharge on your phone. Would be a bummer if your phone happened to be in the car as well lol.

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Excellent. I’m still a little confused how t get Autocharge setu and started. Do I need to do anything on my app?

One matter of concern though. Someone could “borrow” your car and charge it automatically until and unless you turn off autocharge on your phone. Would be a bummer if your phone happened to be in the car as well lol.

As to what triggers the PEA app to generate that pop-up window during your charging session is unknown to me.  As mentioned earlier the first time I used the PEA app/charger I'm pretty sure I still had my red tags and in my PEA Volta Profile I can't remember if I had left the Vehicle Registration Number blank or just put 12345 like I had done on some charging apps....or maybe I had left it blank....just can't remember.  

Now when I got my white license plate in December I started entering it in all my charging apps profiles if the apps asked for it like the PEA app has a spot for it....right at the bottom of your main Profile info.

And today I also had the Autocharge turned on in the Card Management and Autocharge menu.  I had it turned on because I figured it had to be on if Autocharge was ever going to work.  Plus, if I remember right I think Autocharge is turned by default when you first install the app...but really not sure...but I think it was.  

So, in today's charging with Autocharge turned on and me starting that first test charging the normal way by scanning the QR code on the charger and pressing icons on the app that Autocharge windowed popped-up and said my car is eligible for Autocharge, enter my license plate number in that pop-up if I wanted to setup Autocharge.  So I entered my license plate number (which was already entered elsewhere in my Profile) and then that pop-up window said "Verifying" for about 2 seconds and then said it was successful...I'm now setup for Autocharge.  And now, my license plate appeared directly under the Autocharge Mode off/on setting in my app.  And it has a little trash can next to it if I ever want to delete it.  When you turn off the Autocharge setting the license plate disappears...turn Autocharge back on and the license plate reappears.   

Just enter you license plate number in your main Profile and turn the Autocharge mode on---and hopefully at the next charging session a pop-up window will appear asking to to setup Autocharge which just required me to enter my license plate number in that pop-up window. 

What PEA did during the few seconds of Autochagre "Verifying" I don't have a clue....maybe it just bucked the license place number I enter in the popup-up menu against the license plate number in had entered elsewhere in my Profile....or maybe it took a fingerprint so to speak of my EV via communications between my EV and the charger, etc., and that fingerprint is what identifies the car for future Autocharges when I have Autocharge turned on.   Kinda like how you can logon to some sites (like some banking website ) and some offer a setting during the logon to remember your computer/don't challenge it a OTP next time...or maybe the next 24 hours, etc.   What it does is take a "fingerprint" so to speak of your browser/computer.    Maybe that is what the PEA app does although I didn't think anything other than  very basic communications regarding "charging amp and voltage" level occurred between the EV and charger....but I do know there is a more sophisticated EV charging communications that occurs with commercial chargers in being able to communicate with the mothership, the charging app being used, etc....gives me something to research/google. 

I too started thinking about should I leave Autocharge on or off....what are the possibilities for fraud, biting me in the butt some way, etc.  But since I keep less than Bt200 in my PEA Wallet and I have no credit card/debit card loaded as I top-up via QR code payment which requires me logging onto my mbanking to pay for that top-up I doubt there are reasons for concern.   If someone does "borrow" my EV without my permission they indeed could drain my PEA Wallet of the entire Bt200 and continue their getaway with a higher charged battery.   But to play it super safe I will leave Autocharge turned off until I do need to charge...only takes a second to open the app and turn on Autocharge.  And if  lose my phone or gets borrowed I have it password protected....and if loss my phone the PEA charger app would be way, way down on my worry list....my biggest worry would be the phone password protection be broken/hacked and the important apps like mbanking apps might get broken into someway although they are protected with different passwords, PINs, fingerprint, face scan, etc.   Who invented these durn smartphones?....nothing but no-good has come from them.  :tongue:

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

I think the CCS conector has MAC address like a computer, so it probably uses that to identify your vehicle

some recent report in thai EV facebook groups about PEA auto charging malfunctioning and people have their account showing charging in ocations where they couldn't have and being deducted, might better keep an eye on charge history if you have autocharge turned on

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Tesla prices on their super chargers - not cheaper than other chargers, albeit faster at 250 kW.

419697579_766147442211314_9124709403409049208_n.jpg

One of the main reasons why Teslas are popular in the west is because the charging rates are lower than other competing charge point operators. Doesn’t seem to be the case here in Thailand. Another thumbs down for Tesla in my book.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to below PEA webpage talking Autocharge (google translate is your friend at this page) here's the list of EVs that work with  PEA Autocharge.  How up to date the webpage/list is I couldn't say as I expect other EVs which have been coming to the Thai market might work with Autocharge also.   

But if your EV is Autocharge capable the PEA app will ask you during a charging session if you want to setup/verify your EV for Autocharge which only requires you to enter your license plate number when asked to verify....the app will then spend a few seconds "verifying" and then if all goes well your EV is now registered with the PEA charging system/app to use Autocharge starting your next charging session.

https://peavoltaev.pea.co.th/cars-autocharge/

• E-TRON GT quattro
  • E-TRON 55 quattro
BMW
  • i3
  • iX
  • iX3
BYD
  • ATTO 3
  • Dolphin
  • E6 2021
  • M3
  • Seal
  • Mustang March-E
  • KONA
  • IONIQ
  • I-PACE
KIA
  • EV6
  • SOUL-EV
  • UX 300e
  • RZ 450e
  • EQS
  • EQS 450+

• Cooper SE
  • Electric
  • TAYCAN
  • Taycan x Naraya
  • Taycan 4s
MG
  • EP
  • EP Plus
  • ES
  • MAXUS 9
  • MG4 Electric
  • ZS
  • C40 Recharge
  • CX40 Recharge
  • XC40 Pure Electric
  • MODEL S
  • MODEL 3
  • MODEL X
  • MODEL Y

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Number of commercial EV Chargers in Thailand as of 30 Sep 2023 and 31 Dec 2023.   Note the healthy increase.  

https://evat.or.th/ev-information/current-status/index

As DC Fast Chargers (DC CCS2 connector) is what the great majority of EV drivers are looking for when going on trips please note the number of DC Fast Chargers (CCS2) has increased from 3,540 to 4,173 (an 18% increase) in just three months with the majority if this increase occurring at PTT EV Station Pluz and PEA charger locations.  Yeap, more and more PTT stations are displaying the blue "EV" sign on their main entrance sign.

And the number of locations with a EV charger (DC or AC) has increased from 2,222 to 2,658....a 20% increase.   Now does this mean a charger is close to where you live?  Well, it depends on where you live.  But if you live in or close to any city or travelling on major highways then there is probably a charger(s) not too far away.   And yes, more chargers are needed in rural Thailand, small towns, etc....and the charts below show chargers numbers are growing at a healthy pace.

See below charts for 30 Sep 2023 and 31 Dec 2023.

As of 30 Sep 2023

image.thumb.png.357343c0687078c8fef9cc9933a634f2.png

As of 31 Dec 2023

image.thumb.png.45d92d7f45c5d159790752050b25d3d5.png

• Thumbs Up 2