Register of car when purchased in a different province from where you reside

jim1954

you don't need to re-register and can continue to use the car 'out of province' annual tax can be paid normally, 

you'd rarely need to visit the original plate province's DLT, things like transfer of ownership can be done at any province's DLT 

"you'd rarely need to visit the original plate province's DLT, things like transfer of ownership can be done at any province's DLT "

Actually that statement isn't entirely correct.  I purchased a vehicle in Cha Am (Phetchaburi province) when I went to the Cha Am DLT to transfer vehicle to my name, I was told I had to go to the main Phetchaburi DLT for the ownership transfer on account the main province office was the only office allowed to transfer titles from province to province (the vehicle I purchased was originally registered in Bangkok).

Depends on the DLT. The fellows at Udon Thani are EXTREMELY complicated and more than slow; changing ownership (not the province or the plates) took 'em solid six hours. Nong Khai earns standing ovations for managing the same task in less than 10 minutes. I - for one - cannot tell you, why these outlets operate apparently completely different. 

21 hours ago, digbeth said:

you don't need to re-register and can continue to use the car 'out of province' annual tax can be paid normally, 

you'd rarely need to visit the original plate province's DLT, things like transfer of ownership can be done at any province's DLT 

I’ve found another occasion… the rear number plate has been bleached white by the sun on a car I bought new from Phitsanulok some years ago. I’ve been instructed to get a new plate by returning to the original provincial office as Phetchabun, where I live now, is not allowed to issue a new plate. In the meantime, I’ve had the registration number ‘repainted black’ but I understand that ‘plod’ can still create a fuss if it isn’t replaced?

Any relevant experience from other ‘farang’? Thanks!

On 10/4/2023 at 8:13 AM, jim1954 said:

Where and do you have to register a car that was purchased in a different province and what documents do you require 

Sorry I'm a bit unclear on your question;  it is already registered in your name?, then no need to register in your province.