Agreement before renting

Hi folks, recently I had a rental disaster.

Before I moved into a new condo on the top floor from a owner's friend (Not Thai owner and 1 year contract), I noticed there is a water pump machine on the roof.

I asked the owner's friend is there any possibility of loud noises?

He said he asked the maintenance and replied no noise, and based on that reply I chose this place.

I signed the contract for 1 year with 2 months deposit & month rent in adv. 17000B per month.

At night time, when the machine works , it emits this vibrating low bass like sound.

Which is not comfortable to hear, and basically he lied.

In this case, what are my options? 

I will have a talk with him this week since I just moved in today.

*Condo owner is Chinese who doesn't stay in Thailand. His friend is non Thai as well, some one who visits TH frequently.

My main point of contact is owner's friend. 

I don't think they pay tax for their income by renting.

• Confused 1

Unfortunately you have a contract.  You can speak to the person who you dealt with about the issue.  But they are probably going to tell you no one else had an issue with it.  Maybe they can speak to maintenance to try to resolve the issue.  But since it’s a pump that’s probably the normal noise it makes and you will hear it. 
You can move.  But you would have to negotiate of course with the owner,  And they will probably refuse to terminate the contract.  Or keep your deposit. 
You mentioned you don’t think they pay taxes.  That has nothing to do with your issue and it’s an assumption.  It will get you nowhere.  And if you try using that as leverage only cause more problems for you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You have a contract for the condo not the building. Unless there's a " no noise" clause (extremely unlikely) you have nothing to stand on. Not sure why you think "he lied", if your referring to the person you rented from, he got the answer from the building.

To presume there will be no noise from outside the condo is unfortunate and foolish. There will always be noise from some common area or neighbor in every condo. Don't expect the building to make any adjustments in the pump operation although you can ask. The pump serves the building so its impact on whatever it serves will most likely outweigh your issue.

On 10/4/2023 at 10:41 PM, villageidiotY2K said:

it emits this vibrating low bass like sound.

Depends on what type of condo is. You need to see the pump type and location. If it's possible to use rubber shoes for the pomp. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Confused 1

wow thanks for yalls replies and wisdom.

basically we got their maintenance to check together with us and informed the motor is around 10 yrs old and there are 2 water pump rooms on the roof. 

The other pump, he informed they overhauled the motor, but I feel the motor noise is same as the one above me.

Temporary he has stopped one pump which is above me and theres no noise for now which maybe me have nice sleep.

They will plan to buy those rubber damper thingies and informed will try to sound proof the room which they informed will try to complete by this sunday.

If that fails, im <deleted> and will lose my deposit and maybe this mnths rental ttl of around 50KB.

Its too stressful to deal with that noise & can't sleep.

Is this a common problem if u live on the top floor?

I live on the top floor, but its 2 stories 3 bedroom condo.  F16 (Living room) F17 (Bedroom & terrace) F18 (Roof, water pump/elevator power room)

I can hear the water pump even when I was on F16.

• Confused 1