Unable to use my Bangkok Bank Credit Card to pay for 25USD monthly subscription as a PayPal Guest

Amazing Thailand just wasted a lot of time trying to pay for a monthly subscription of a whopping 25 USD per month as a PayPal Guest using my Bangkok Bank Credit Card however the transaction failed each time.

Tried again with my Eurocard Mastercard linked to my address here in Thailand and it functioned perfectly.

Do any members know why the Bangkok Bank Credit Card can not be used for such purposes?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Yes, I had the same problem. I rang up the SCB help line and got an operator (in English) to walk me through the process to change the settings through my SCB application. Now my SCB ATM card works for international transactions

Same for my new TTB card last week, took ages to find the 'allow international purchases' on my phone app.

But the good news is Skype reduced my 3 month fee from $22.50 to $18.50 thinking I no longer wanted the service to tempt me back.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, vibration said:

Do any members know why the Bangkok Bank Credit Card can not be used for such purposes?

BKB cards are processed through TPN (Thai Payment Network), not Mastercard/VISA, and TPN is always a bit iffy for payments outside Asia.

https://www.finextra.com/pressarticle/63290/thai-payment-network-goes-live

"In 2012, the central bank of Thailand stipulated that all local interbank transactions made with local debit cards must be processed locally. Thereafter, the joint venture called TPN was founded in September 2014. Thailand has also planned to create an independent debit card brand TPN and issue UnionPay TPN cards, which will be conveniently used at the global UnionPay network."

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rwill said:

I went to my bank, SCB, several months ago to have them do the face scan thing.  After they scurried around for about 30 minutes and contacting the main branch they told me I would get an SMS from them the next day.  The SMS came and said that my application to be exempt from the requirement had been accepted.  I never told them I wanted to be exempt from it.  I would have rather had the additional security.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Try a bigger/better branch maybe?

Has been mentioned many times but unfortunately SCB don't appear to have implemented for foreigners. 

As far as I am aware being exempt from the requirements means you accept responsibility for any fraud that ensues........(not sure if that's any or just any over 50k) 

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2023 at 1:41 PM, topt said:

Has been mentioned many times but unfortunately SCB don't appear to have implemented for foreigners. 

As far as I am aware being exempt from the requirements means you accept responsibility for any fraud that ensues........(not sure if that's any or just any over 50k) 

Good to know. But I think this 50k baht security malarkey is an edict from on high and something that all banks will need to comply with. Maybe they are just working out the bugs in their implementatio and it will happen eventually... unannounced.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 7:58 PM, vibration said:

I am guessing, but I suspect the Bangkok Bank CC does not accept/support subscription type/ auto renew payments, like a lot of the Virus/security software and streaming services want you to sign up to. Had issues myself... kind of like that, not committing to another payment 12 months in the future, I could be dead!

• Like 1