Airport Hotel Monopoly

The only hotel in the airport is screwing its customers hard. Arrived weary at the check-in, and the receptionist scribbled a price down, which, I was shocked, 12,400 per night.I asked for the real rate, explained that I missed my flight,and was looking for Thai price, I explained I know the score, downtown Bkk, many for 1,000 to 2,000 bt. she scribbled down 7300,bt I want promo price please, "this is five star" she snooted,I asked her for a copy of the tarrif, "we dont have one" and I certainly souldn't see one on display. I said, I only stay in five star! Last week in Korat, 1300, perfect! Having gained a bit of ground , I smiled as she scribbled down 4,700.I accepted, and once I got the key, whispered to her,all the 5 star hotels I have stayed, they didn't use scraps of scribbled paper,and always displayed a tarrif.

Went to the room, weary and gaggin for a Heineken,couldn't afford to pay the mini-bar prices......small can.....200++ =235bt a can, but I was in luck, It was happy hour in the bar, two Heineken for 333++ =395bt. I had 10 minutes to get to the bar, before the happy event finished, then it was costing 395 for one glass of draft!

I contacted the manager to confirm the prices, and he told me it was 5 star,I explained, if he paid his Thai staff 20,000 a month I will pay his prices,It amounts to this, each glass of Heineken purchased,pays for 2 staff for their 12 hours of hard work, in actual fact, they are costing the hotel about 15 baht a day.The manager was aware of that fact, so, I said there are Pimps in the Capital that would be proud of them mark-ups, and to which,I accused him and their company of being morally disgracefull and that they were equal to pimps for exploitation. After a silence he apologised ,and he had no say in the situation. Just don't miss your flight is my advice,and if you want a taxi outside the airport, dont follow the arrows, its 50bt to get one , and guess where the 50bt goes.....in the direction of Manchester we believe, go up to the 4th floor, and get one outside. Extortion from the minute you land, what does the T.A.T have to say ???

Grow up. No one forced you to go there. I trust you understand you have to pay a premium for CONVENIENCE. It's not extortion... the only thing suspect is that the airport company only allows ONE hotel, a MONOPOLY on site.

But here's your problem: you're lazy.

Whenever I go somewhere, I spend TIME researching on the infonet IN ADVANCE to know airport area hotel options and prices. If you don't take the TIME to figure these things out in advance, and you just WALTZ over to the nearest most convenient hotel, you better be ready to pay... big time.

But i'm really happy you were able to RUSH to that bar, and get two beers in you... are you an alcoholic? Why not just take a flask with you, so you won't have to worry about things like happy hour closing time?

There are a few hotels NEAR the new airport, but it took me TIME to figure out the names, locations, travel options to get there. There is one, seems to be a brand new 3 star, I think 1,200 baht a night, with breakfast, international t.v., pool, etc. Not 5 star, and not walkable from the arrivals area, but not 12,000 baht.

Again, you're laziness in not researching things in advance is your problem.

I know the AMARI Hotel, at the Don Muang airport had OUTRAGEOUS prices, cause you could walk there from the terminal, by bridge... the place was like a 4 star DUMP, and it was like $200 a night. Then, the airport closed, and I checked: prices went down to like $50 a night. Not sure what they charge now, that the airport has partially reopened...

It's all supply and demand... there is no shortage of lazy people, tired air travelers, who feel entitled to discount rates at the most desirable locations.

Grow up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP my reply,

You have not read the topic,

1) I am disabled

2) My flight was cancelled

3) I did not travel to the bar, I phoned to confirm the prices

4) It is a monopoly

5) This is a forum for info, not drunken hotel touts, you have a website link here ?

6) You have never stayed at the place.

7) You are not too happy, your only friend is this website, you don't have UBC, your partner has left you, you live here 'cos you have to, you have very few friends, and this is the best....... you are buddies with Samran and Bendix,both of whom post so many comments, all obnoxious, they are so uninteresting, they even read topics that they despise, how sad are you misfits ? Well , thats me barred for honest opinions, the truth aint always sweet. Block me, I can handle friendly fire , but you guys need to get out of the cheap Issan village.

OP my reply,

7) You are not too happy, your only friend is this website, you don't have UBC, your partner has left you, you live here 'cos you have to, you have very few friends, and this is the best....... you are buddies with Samran and Bendix,both of whom post so many comments, all obnoxious, they are so uninteresting, they even read topics that they despise, how sad are you misfits ? Well , thats me barred for honest opinions, the truth aint always sweet. Block me, I can handle friendly fire , but you guys need to get out of the cheap Issan village.

Just to show I'm fair (though obnoxious) I'll let other mods decide on this.