Uk Holiday Visa

I am seeking advice regarding bringing my wifes parents over to the UK for about a month in March next year.

They are both in their 60s, own a lot of land for growing rice in the north-east & this will probably be their only visit as they are getting old.

Can anyone help us with the following:

When should we apply for the Holiday Visa ?

Is it likely that they would have to travel to the UK Embassy in Bangkok for an interview ?

Is there any companies that can arrange for air tickets starting in Thailand as I will have to fly to Thailand, collect them & take them back after the holiday.

Although its going to be expensive & require huge organising our greatest concern is obtaining some sort of insurance in case they cannot make the trip.

Any help would be most welcome.

There is no reaon why your in-laws can't apply for a visit visa. Certainly, at their age, that they'll unlawfully work is not a consideration. I'd make the application in either January or February as the visas will then be valid until July or August and more than cover the intended one month stay in March.

Your in-laws will have to travel to Bangkok to make the visa application as it is now a requirement to give fingerprints and have a digital photograph taken. It is always possible that they will subsequently have to attend the embassy for interview, but as far as possible decisions are made on the basis of the application form and supporting documentation.

Scouse.

Thanks for taking time to reply so quickly.

Its bloody annoying that two elderly parents must travel to Bangkok just for a brief stay with us but at least we know now and it will be up to them to decide.

Also thanks for the info that the visa lasts for six months.

One final question, do you know how long the actual process is at present from submiting the application to being summonded for the finger print/photos, to getting an answer, ie getting the visa providing no interview is required ?

It really makes my blood boil that genuine people have to jump through hoops to satisfy officials when other more devious people get here under false pretences.

The biometric data is taken when the application is lodged. If no interview is required, a result should be known within a matter of 4-5 days. If an interview is deemed necessary, then it depends how long the interview queue is at that time.

Scouse.

It really makes my blood boil that genuine people have to jump through hoops to satisfy officials when other more devious people get here under false pretences.

It's not that some folks have to 'jump through hoops' more than any others, this is what is required to apply for any visa to the UK in over 80 countries at present and will eventually be at every country in the world.See Biometric fingerscans and digital photos .

If they dont already have a Thai passport it may well also make your blood boil when you learn they will have to personally go to one of the Passport offices in Thailand to apply

As already said getting the visa, in your in laws case, should be pretty straighforward. Follow what is required on The UK VAC site.

As for air tickets.. as you will have to go to Thailand to meet them you must all travel on the same airline, coordinating that from both countries will be a nightmare. Try doing it direct with an airline web site or via internet agencies such as ebookers? or West East Travel or others. If you are looking to compare prices there is an agency advertised in the banner at the top of this forum page.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Planes are easy, just a combination of tickets. Fly them back with you but they should be able to make the return trip on their own especially if you can have someone meet them at Bangkok airport. I would advise direct flights. For something like this, an agent or perhaps the airline itself might be able to offer cheaper prices. I had that once with JAL into and out of Tokyo for the family.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I feel more confident that they will get the visa now.

Its just a shame that they have to wait a few days after submitting the application to retrieve their passports as they live 8 hours away using a bus.

Never mind.

Thanks again to all

Its just a shame that they have to wait a few days after submitting the application to retrieve their passports as they live 8 hours away using a bus.

They dont have to wait to pick the passport up, someone else can pick it up on their behalf with the receipt and other documents or maybe it can returned by courier to them

Edited by Mahout Angrit