MS Outlook In Vista

samran

Anyone else have this problem?

Vista no longer supports outlook express, so I'm using Outlook for now.

Problem is it is slow and clunky. I use it for my hotmail and for another webmail account I have.

Everytime I switch between folders there is a bit of a mini-crash, where the programme is 'not responding'. It takes ages basically to navigate around the darn programme. So:

a) are there any fixes?

:o Is there another email tool that I can use (and transfer my email files to??)

Thanks

Samran

I switched from OE to Mozilla Thunderbird some time ago and quite happy with it. It gives the option to import also. Have not tried it in Vista yet since I'm evaluating Vista in a virtual environment but is one of the must have packages I will test shortly. Outlook is top heavy and I only use it to synchronize my mobile phone book.

Guest Reimar

I using TheBat! It's for a long time now and TheBat do exactly what I need it for.

For me one of biggest advantage of TheBat is that I can use multiple Mail-Domains and I can choose the Domain I want to send the Mail from. That's very importand if you deal with different companies at same time. I using at this time E-Mail accounts from 14 different Domains!

Downloading Mail is from all in the same time or just the accounts I want to get the mail from.

TheBat work very fast also.

I using TheBat! It's for a long time now and TheBat do exactly what I need it for.

For me one of biggest advantage of TheBat is that I can use multiple Mail-Domains and I can choose the Domain I want to send the Mail from.

Actually Thunderbird can do that also (I have 8 domains being checked from mine and some I use different SMTP servers depending on how I want to traffic it). I am familiar with TheBat when I was a member of the Association of Shareware Professionals and it is a good product. Just depends on whether one wants to purchase a client or get it for free.

I used to use The Bat. The thing that really wound me up about it was that if it was necessary to re-install Windows you couldn't just run The Bat after the re-install. You had to re-enter all your account details/POP-SMTP server details again. Surely it's possible for it suss out previous details itself. I use Thunderbird now but I use the portable version from portableapps.com. It keeps the mail in the same folder as the app so you can just move the folder to a new location without having to dive into documents & settings\blahblahblah to move your mail folders.

Problem is it is slow and clunky. I use it for my hotmail and for another webmail account I have.

Everytime I switch between folders there is a bit of a mini-crash, where the programme is 'not responding'. It takes ages basically to navigate around the darn programme. So:

a) are there any fixes?

:o Is there another email tool that I can use (and transfer my email files to??)

Thanks

Samran

I'm running Vista with Outlook and find no difference whatsoever between Vista and Windows XP.  I have 3 Gmail accounts and 3 hotmail accounts and all work exactly the same as in Windows XP, however POP3 Gmail accounts work much better than those of hotmail.  I hope to eventually eliminate my hotmail accounts altogether in the future.  Go with Vista & Outlook & POP3 Gmail and you should have no problems at all.

Pattaya David

i thought vista, was installed with Windows Mail, which is the successor to outlook, works fine here, will try thunderbird though

I've never tried Windows Mail, however it would be the successor to Outlook Express, not Outlook.  Outlook is not included in neither Windows XP nor Vista operating systems.  It is a product of Microsoft Office, I'm running Office 2007 on my computer with no compatibility issures whatsoever with Vista thus far.

Pattaya David

Hello :o

Same problem for me. Outlook XP (from the Office XP full package) is slow as hel_l and won't remember any passwords - only a couple of Hotmail accounts, but still annoying, it has a "remember password" function but it won't work.

Vista's "Windows Mail" works beautifully and fast with G-Mail and local ISP accounts (TRUE, KSC) but for some odd reason (M$ not liking their own products?) does no longer support Hotmail. It (Windows Mail) is the successor of Outlook Express.

Does Thunderbird (or any other, "faster-than-Outlook" E-Mail client) support Hotmail..? If so, i'll switch immediately (still need those two Hotmail accounts and also want to download my mail to the computer instead of doing it web-based).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Outlook2000 does not work with Vista, Outlook 2003 works well. After installation look for the file outlook.pst and delete it, as long as you have XP or 98 with Outlook (any Outllok) still installed. When you start Outlook, it will ask you for the file outlook.pst. You link to your old file and will have all data from before with all dddresses and so on. This works from Windows 98 to Vista. The outlook.pst file, that you useg with Windows 98 or XP works still fine with Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

a) are there any fixes?

Thanks

Samran

Use Windows Mail - it performs most of the same functions as Outlook Express. Thanh is right.

Outlook 2003 is a real dog on Vista. Actually I think it's a real dog period, but as I now need certain Outlook functions I really don't have a choice. Windows Mail is much more responsive.

My other email program is Eudora - I highly recommend this program, I'm still using 5.1 from many years ago, though I have yet to try it on Vista (which is on my work notebook).