New Passport

A friend is in Thailand on a Multi Non O. His British Passport is completely full and he has obtained a new one - the visa is in his old one.  He will be making a border bounce to Cambodia next month and has been told that Thai Immigration at the Cambodian Border will swap his visa into his new passport.

I have a feeling that is not correct and he will have to visit his local Immigration Office and get the visa swapped before he leaves the country.

Anyone know what's correct?

He should allow extra time. Some information from the old passport needs to be transferred to the new passport (though the visa is not transferred). There is a designated official that does this who may not always be immediately available. I once needed to wait nearly two hours. If travelling independently, I recommend getting to the border in the morning. If on an organised border run, verify that the van will wait if there is a significant delay in getting the stamp transfers done.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Foek said:

Visa and extension of stay will be transferred by Immigration to your friends new passport.

Best he goes to Immigration and be 100% sure.

Any visa (assuming it was issued at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand) will not be transferred. To use it, it is necessary to travel with both passports until the expiry of the visa.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, BritTim said:

Any visa (assuming it was issued at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand) will not be transferred. To use it, it is necessary to travel with both passports until the expiry of the visa.

i came here on a Non B , after 90 days i did a border run , got a new Non B from Mae Sai and that one is transferred already 2x to my new passports.

Like i said best to go to Immigration to be sure and don't rely on anyone else but your self.

4 hours ago, Foek said:

i came here on a Non B , after 90 days i did a border run , got a new Non B from Mae Sai and that one is transferred already 2x to my new passports.

I'm not sure that things are the same for that type of visa.  My friend's visa is a Multi Entry Non O based on marriage - possibly different rules/methods?

On 10/11/2023 at 8:53 AM, Foek said:

Visa and extension of stay will be transferred by Immigration to your friends new passport.

Best he goes to Immigration and be 100% sure.

There is no extension, as per my previous post - his visa is a 12 month multi.  There is no extension for that visa, not in the way you are talking about.  Each stay can be extended by 60 days but the visa has an ultimate 'enter by' date. Provided the holder leaves within 90 days, there is no reporting. If the holder applies for a 60 day extension, they have in effect, carried out a report.

A Multi Entry Non O has a validity of 12 months and the holder can enter as many times as they wish during those 12 months.  Each stay has a maximum length of 90 days + a possible extension of 60 days. Meaning that if the holder enters the day before the visa expires - the visa is actually effective for 17 months. They are available based on marriage and on having close family (i.e. son or daughter in Thailand) - there may be other qualifications but I don't know of them. Those who obtain the visa based on marriage can work on that visa but like all other classes, a work permit must be obtained.  The holder must leave before the end of each stay - either 90 or 150 days with extension. I rarely stayed 90 days but on the occasions where I did, I used to travel to the cheapest available destination outside Thailand on a budget carrier and make a 2 or 3 day holiday of it.  Some choose to do a border bounce and I'm told that a same day 'border bounce' is OK with a Multi.

The locations where a Multi Non O can be obtained historically often don't have particularly strong requirements but they are slowly disappearing. I used to obtain mine from London but that ended when London went over to E Visa. My last Multi Non O was obtained in Ho Chi Minh City. Currently the only two locations that offer Multi Non O's that I know of are HCMC and Savannakhet (there may be others) - apparently HCMC has now introduced more stringent requirements.  Last time I looked no E Visa locations offer Multi Non O's - just single entries and they only provide any type of Thai visa to citizens of that country or those with a legal right of residence.  It seems that the days of the Multi Non O are numbered.

Its not the same as your Non O that has an original length of stay of 90 days and is then extended for 12 months subject to 90 day reporting.

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Last time I looked no E Visa locations offer Multi Non O's - just single entries and they only provide any type of Thai visa to citizens of that country or those with a legal right of residence.  It seems that the days of the Multi Non O are numbered.

The e-visa system does now support multiple entry Non O visas. Whether to provide one depends on the Thai embassy in your home country. Some have acquired them based on Thai spouse, and (from the UK embassy) a multiple entry Non O based on being a pensioner has occasionally been issued again.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

The e-visa system does now support multiple entry Non O visas. Whether to provide one depends on the Thai embassy in your home country. Some have acquired them based on Thai spouse, and (from the UK embassy) a multiple entry Non O based on being a pensioner has occasionally been issued again.

Thanks for that, when did London start issuing Multis again?  They refused me in February 2020. Just out of interest really as I'm divorced now.

Also, prior to E Visa, although the info on their site stated they required financial evidence, they didn't actually require it. I'm guessing its a requirement of the E Visa system?

Edited by MangoKorat

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Thanks for that, when did London start issuing Multis again?  They refused me in February 2020. Just out of interest really as I'm divorced now.

Also, prior to E Visa, although the info on their site stated they required financial evidence, they didn't actually require it. I'm guessing its a requirement of the E Visa system?

London has been known to offer multiple Non O visas to visit your Thai spouse and also multiple entry Non O as pensioner visas this year. Dealing with the London embassy is a bit of a lottery. I think it depends on the official who gets to process your application whether it goes smoothly. I am pretty sure they will require financial proof, though that is up to the individual embassy.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

London has been known to offer multiple Non O visas to visit your Thai spouse and also multiple entry Non O as pensioner visas this year. Dealing with the London embassy is a bit of a lottery. I think it depends on the official who gets to process your application whether it goes smoothly. I am pretty sure they will require financial proof, though that is up to the individual embassy.

Glad to see you are now in red as a Moderator.

Edited by ripstanley