Opening bank account

Hi this is a subject that has been covered but I'm hoping perhaps someone has already followed this route. 

I am still working and living in Switzerland but would like to open a bank account in Thailand. 

I think it's siam legal ( solicitors) say for 5000 plus vat (5350 baht) you can open an account with Bangkok bank with perhaps having to take insurance with the bank ( I assume 100% you need to take insurance) at moment I visit Thailand on 30 day visa exempt and wondered any member followed this route? If so how much was the insurance? I know the " insurance " is waste of time but hoping to get a number if say 3000 I can say ok 8.350 I will do it thanks in advance 

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most the agents do it, MOTs etc, i would go first to Maneerat Soi Post Office 13\2 as they are usually the cheapest, around 4-5k inclusive 

This is bkk or pattaya ? Does bank require you to take insurance if so what is this cost?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya, your choice will be insurance for 5k direct at bank or agent 5k give or take 1k, you've missed the boat to get it for free

5k I can live with ( I've no choice) what I didn't want to happen was 5350 to agent then bank asks stupid amount for insurance 

I read somewhere on this forum that Maneerat will open a Bangkok bank account for a total THB5,200 which includes accident insurance and THB500 deposit so it will actually cost THB4,700.

Edited by anchadian
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, anchadian said:

I read somewhere on this forum that Maneerat will open a Bangkok bank account for a total THB5,200 which includes accident insurance and THB500 deposit so it will actually cost THB4,700.

If that's right it's excellent ty I will give it a go next month when I'm there.

I really don't know soi 13 to 13/4 I always thought it was boyztown I've enough vices without that I'm scared I might like it 

Not sure what visa you have to be on to open an account. I have retirment visa .I did mine my self in bangkok bank last year and told them I don't want insurance. They said okay just they try to sell it to you.. think you have to sign something to say not want.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Not sure what visa you have to be on to open an account. I have retirment visa .I did mine my self in bangkok bank last year and told them I don't want insurance. They said okay just they try to sell it to you.. think you have to sign something to say not want.. 

Visa is the problem I'm just tourist visa I'm still working and living in Switzerland 

I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank in Bangkok (Silom head office) in 2018.

I did not use an agent. I was on visa exempt at that time. They only asked for a copy of my passport certified by my embassy.

I paid 300 bahts to get a debit card and that was all. They didn't even require a minimum deposit  or insurance.

Edited by daejung

1 hour ago, daejung said:

I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank in Bangkok (Silom head office) in 2018.

I did not use an agent. I was on visa exempt at that time. They only asked for a copy of my passport certified by my embassy.

I paid 300 bahts to get a debit card and that was all. They didn't even require a minimum deposit  or insurance.

I did the same in 2010, on visa exempt. But this only seems to be accepted at Bangkok Bank main office in Silom. I did not have a certified copy of passport, but things may have changed.

Shop around, there is no law prohibiting non-residents having a bank account. The agency just sweet-talks (i.e. bribes) the bank staff in one or the other way and the insurance is absolutely NOT a condition for banking. The counter staff is getting a (juicy) commission on insurance sales yet a bank is a bank and an insurance company is an insurance company. 

• Love It 1

On 10/11/2023 at 4:35 AM, Dave0206 said:

This is bkk or pattaya ? Does bank require you to take insurance if so what is this cost?

IMHO It' a scam by BKB they close their eyes to other docs. you might need. around. 5-6k. They tried it on with a friend of mine, no LOR no Lease.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No you do not 'need' to its just accident insurance not health.

quid pro quo, the bank staff has their quota of insurance to sell, if you help them out, they'll help you out in  bending some perceived rule that tourist can't open an account, 

you also don't need to pay agents to open an account either 

Bizarre in a Thai sort of way the differences between banks and bank branches.

To open a new account with Kasikorn last week (had checked in advance): my ID card, yellow book, copy passport notarised by embassy, copy of page showing visa on passport.

Provided ok, all sorted though took almost an hour, only compulsory cost was for an ATM card.

A note on their insurance. I have had bank insurance here previously and while the cover maximum isn't high, after a cycling accident they paid 100% for my short hospital stay and 80% dental fees - refund was in my account two working days after submitting receipts.

• Thanks 1

I hate being forced to do anything, ie insurance when I got back in with an OA visa, I will be opening a joint account next month after my marriage extension comes out of consideration, they wouldnt do it as my visa only had 21 days, I will be buying insurance its 1200 baht as it helps the girl out who looks after me( free replacement of lost ATM card, they come out differently than in Australia so I often lose one) and has always been a help whenever we need to do anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Remind me: Why has it become so hard now to open a bank account?

Issue caused by Thai people opening accounts and given to Chinese people to use.

No issue if have a long stay visa, only a problem with tourist visa \ visa exempt

Edited by scubascuba3