Help please. Used book store just off Khao San Road

pollyog

Hi,  A while ago someone in a post said there is a good used book store just off the Khao San Road.  Doing a search on the Asean Now site is hopeless, cannot get anything relevant to come up, so am asking if anyone knows the place.  I thought I'd made a note of it but am unable to find it now.

Thanks in advance to anyone with info.

13 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Rambuttri Ally

I think you mean Soi Rambuttri. An ally is "a person or group that provides assistance and support in an ongoing effort, activity or struggle".

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I think you mean Soi Rambuttri. An ally is "a person or group that provides assistance and support in an ongoing effort, activity or struggle".

Originally I wrote Rambuttri Road, but the Google map posted by 2long with directions to the Bookstore referred to it as Ram buttri Aly (and hence I updated my post). 

And it should be Rambuttri Alley...

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Originally I wrote Rambuttri Road, but the Google map posted by 2long with directions to the Bookstore referred to it as Ram buttri Aly (and hence I updated my post).

Google Maps is clearly wrong because it is not an "ally" it is a Soi.Try telling a tuk-tuk driver that you want to go to "Rambuttri Ally". Ally sounds like arai/alai in Thai so you'll confuse the hell out of him. Or her as the case may be, there's at least one female tuk-tuk driver in that area.

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Google Maps is clearly wrong because it is not an "ally" it is a Soi.Try telling a tuk-tuk driver that you want to go to "Rambuttri Ally". Ally sounds like arai/alai in Thai so you'll confuse the hell out of him. Or her as the case may be, there's at least one female tuk-tuk driver in that area.

Who gives a toss.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

Why don't you pronounce it "alley" then?

Why would I pronounce "ally" as "alley"? I'm not ESL ????

Anyway why would I use the word "alley" to a tuk-tuk driver or indeed any other Thai person? It is called "Soi Rambuttri" in Thai so why would I try and confuse them? The transliteration of Rambuttri itself isn't tranny that close to the correct pronunciation so your just setting yourself up to fall by adding an unfamiliar English word at the end.

BTW calling a Soi an alley, or ally if you prefer, is not even that accurate. The Thai word "trok" is closer to the definition of an alley than "Soi".

Screenshot_20231011_141331_Brave.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, 2long said:

Leave the guy (and Google) alone!

There's a distinct difference between Rambutri Alley and Soi Rambutri, and anyone talking to tuk Tuk drivers is likely going to mispronounce everything anyway. Plenty of places in the world have names that make no sense.

The OP asked for help, and @Red Phoenix and I obliged.

Maybe you need to spend some time with Liverpoo Lou

No, there is no distinction between Rambuttri Alley and Soi Rambuttri because Rambuttri Alley does not exist.

There is Thanon Rambuttri and Soi Rambuttri. Period.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

You could have saved a lot of needless pedantry if you had stated that right from the beginning.

At the beginning I didn't know why the guy was using the term "Rambuttri Ally" instead of Soi Rambuttri. 

So now we know. And we've also established that Google Maps/Translate cannot always be trusted as it seems to dumb things down for ignorant foreigners.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

No, there is no distinction between Rambuttri Alley and Soi Rambuttri because Rambuttri Alley does not exist.

There is Thanon Rambuttri and Soi Rambuttri. Period.

In the same way that there's no Bangkok, only Mahanakorn.... I'm not going to try to spell it or Google it.

If you were speaking English to someone and referred to the capital of Thailand, what would you say?

Why have we hijacked a simple thread which was started to help someone find a bookshop?

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

At the beginning I didn't know why the guy was using the term "Rambuttri Ally" instead of Soi Rambuttri. 

So now we know. And we've also established that Google Maps/Translate cannot always be trusted as it seems to dumb things down for ignorant foreigners.

So, it's Google vs Some Forum Keyboard Warriors in search of facts. 5555+

4 hours ago, 2long said:

In the same way that there's no Bangkok, only Mahanakorn.... I'm not going to try to spell it or Google it.

If you were speaking English to someone and referred to the capital of Thailand, what would you say?

Why have we hijacked a simple thread which was started to help someone find a bookshop?

You hijacked the thread. I simply gave the guy the correct name of the purported location of the book store he's looking for. You've contributed nothing except to show us your ignorance.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

You hijacked the thread. I simply gave the guy the correct name of the purported location of the book store he's looking for. You've contributed nothing except to show us your ignorance.

I think my first (and only worthwhile) contribution was THE first reply, and an accurate location.

Who cares what it's called (factually, in English, Thainglish or Thai)... the good people here just wanted the OP to find the bloody bookshop!

16 hours ago, bignok said:

Use google.

Google is innacurate when it comes to translating certain road/location as I've already demonstrated. I'd provide further examples but I don't feel the need to waste any more of my time with simpletons.

5 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Google is innacurate when it comes to translating certain road/location as I've already demonstrated. I'd provide further examples but I don't feel the need to waste any more of my time with simpletons.

Guess you are a genius then.

16 hours ago, 2long said:

I think my first (and only worthwhile) contribution was THE first reply, and an accurate location.

Who cares what it's called (factually, in English, Thainglish or Thai)... the good people here just wanted the OP to find the bloody bookshop!

16 hours ago, 2long said:

Who cares what it's called (factually, in English, Thainglish or Thai)...

Thai people do. Getting the name of the location right is important when asking taxi drivers etc where you want to go. 

If I said "Rambuttri Ally (alai)" to the average person they'd have absolutely no idea what I'm taking about. Even if I said "Soi Rambu-treee" most would have no idea where it is unless I'm in or near that area and luck out with experienced person.

Heck, a lot of people don't even know where Banglamphu is despite that being the old method of directing the drive to the KSR area.

But hey, stay ignorant, no skin off my nose.

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thai people do. Getting the name of the location right is important when asking taxi drivers etc where you want to go. 

If I said "Rambuttri Ally (alai)" to the average person they'd have absolutely no idea what I'm taking about. Even if I said "Soi Rambu-treee" most would have no idea where it is unless I'm in or near that area and luck out with experienced person.

Heck, a lot of people don't even know where Banglamphu is despite that being the old method of directing the drive to the KSR area.

But hey, stay ignorant, no skin off my nose.

Use a landmark given in Thai. Use a translation app or google maps. 7/11 is always good if nearby.

• Like 1