Teaching english in thailand

Hello -- I was considering teaching English to school children and business people in Thailand as a way to explore the options of expat living. I have degrees, I have had a decent life, I have a steady monthly income, but I am bored with my situation now and was planning to take a certification course, but I seem to notice a negative vibe from most references about it on this site. They usually amount to what sounds like a last option. I'm not looking to get rich, obviously, but many of the jobs I have seen on Ajarn include accomodations, or money for same, in addition to a salary. Some even include your meals.

Basically what I would like to know of those who have tried this occupation in Thailand is, what did you like about it and what did you dislike about teaching English? Are there any certification schools that are recommended over others? Best experiences and/or worst experiences? Thanks for the input.

:cool:

Hello -- I was considering teaching English to school children and business people in Thailand as a way to explore the options of expat living. I have degrees, I have had a decent life, I have a steady monthly income, but I am bored with my situation now and was planning to take a certification course, but I seem to notice a negative vibe from most references about it on this site. They usually amount to what sounds like a last option. I'm not looking to get rich, obviously, but many of the jobs I have seen on Ajarn include accomodations, or money for same, in addition to a salary. Some even include your meals.

Basically what I would like to know of those who have tried this occupation in Thailand is, what did you like about it and what did you dislike about teaching English? Are there any certification schools that are recommended over others? Best experiences and/or worst experiences? Thanks for the input.

Have been in the teaching business for years, basically you get bored with it after a while... plenty of jobs everywhere in Thailand so don't worry about finding a job. Go for an internationally recognized certificate 6 weeks or so, ECC Siam Square + Elite on Silom  I think. Don't go for anything that is NOT internationally recognized since these certificates become useless outside Thailand, and believe me plenty of schools offering this type of certification all over Thailand.

My advice is to go back to the ajarn site and do some more reading there.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info and help. The stickman website was somewhat enlightening. Since I'm going to be in Thailand this fall anyways, I decided to take the TEFL International 1 month certification course at Ban Phe, so that will take care of one of my three months there. I'll check on the job situation while there, but I didn't plan on seeking employment until about March or so. Do the schools like to plan/hire ahead or do they want you to begin immediately if they are interested? Thanks

Thanks for the info and help. The stickman website was somewhat enlightening. Since I'm going to be in Thailand this fall anyways, I decided to take the TEFL International 1 month certification course at Ban Phe, so that will take care of one of my three months there. I'll check on the job situation while there, but I didn't plan on seeking employment until about March or so. Do the schools like to plan/hire ahead or do they want you to begin immediately if they are interested? Thanks

NOT a wise move enrolling for a certificate with TEFL International. Their certificate is ONLY recognized in Thailand. Also TEFL International has a rather poor reputation for encouraging their graduates to seek employment in such dubious establishments as AUA Rayong, infamous for mistreating English teachers! And what if you decided you wanted to work in Japan or Europe for some real money eh? Think about it!

Schools do not plan ahead in Thailand, you can pretty much secure a job on the day of arrival here (as long you're caucasian of course), you do not need a teaching certificate either unless you're after a decent paying job with some Uni or International school. Thais want "sanuk" (fun) anyway and favour a degreeless/certificateless but easy-going/fun teacher over the serious qualified type...

Wow -- Thanks for the feedback, that's the type of help I've been looking for. Luckily, I have not paid enrollment fee yet. I learned about TEFL Int'l at the ajarn site, and was impressed because they said it was good to teach anywhere. In fact, they have jobs and certification courses right now in China, Korea and Vietnam, as well as I believe Spain and Brazil. Are you saying that this is just some marketing BS and completely false? I have a couple of degrees already, laid back and patient personality, and definitely like FUN! I don't expect to make a fortune in Thailand, but don't want to get stuck with the official gov't salary of 17,800 or whatever it is. That would be unacceptable! So, would your suggestion be to get the job, and then possibly take a different course? Thanks for the honesty.

Most univ. pay this 17 plus 7,500 for accomadation. To make more the teachers work for private language schools or a company on a @hr. basis. Even most univ. have extra hrs.available say on the weekend or evenings at about 500 @hr. To earn over 50,000 you must get on at one of the int'l schools and they hire you from abroad.

ECC has a good reputation here in Aust or at least as good as a 4 week qualification can be regarded! without horning in on the original posters, post; would anyone care to add a comment, be it good or not so good on "Text & Talk" as an organisation?

Back in 1994 I briefly worked for Text&Talk on a freelance basis, but not as an English teacher. Before the adventure with Text&Talk I had already taught elsewhere, learning in the process that teaching was a dead end street for me, since I am not a native speaker.

Anyway together with a lot of others reacting to this ad in the Bangkok Post I was hired to go door to door "cold calling" to Bangkok companies in order to sell them a membership entitling them to a reduced price for a translation service Text&Talk was operating at the time.Of course we were also allowed to call the company first and attempt to make an appointment with the GM or whatever other decision maker.

Quite a few times I had a good laugh confusing the secretary by speaking fast paced English, and than being connected to a GM who was furious being interrupted in the middle of an important meeting by some rat who obviously wanted to sell him something.

Text&Talk only would give us a cut when we actually sold a membership, there was no salary whatsoever. The selling technique we were instructed to apply was initially telling the company GM we were only coming to make a survey, but this survey was an absolute joke, consisting of questions like: "Wouldnt you feel more at ease if your English translations were checked by a native speaker who is qualified to do this type of thing?".

Almost needless to say I didnt manage to sell any memberships, and after a few weeks I quit, and so did most or maybe all of the others who were hired at the same time.

This anecdote about what happened 9 years ago is of course completely irrelevant to the question how Text&Talk is functioning as an organisation now, I would also love to hear something about that.

A degree is quite sufficient to teach English in Thailand, but a TEFL/TESOL qualification will give you the edge over the majority of prospective teachers looking for well paying jobs. Take your time selecting a job. I have worked for a number of language schools in BKK over the last few years and would not recommend any of them to you. Jobs within international schools are available and contrary to the advice above are available in country, I found my current job within an international school by visiting their personnel department in person.

Quick question regarding ECC and their certification. What do they charge for their certification, and by getting it are you required to work for them for a specified time? Am I to understand that their certificate is good worldwide, and that I can use it in other countries to make better money? I don't like to do anything half-assed, and am very serious about this. Maybe ajarn or somebody should start a computer database to track the unethical, unprofessional "teachers" that it appears ruin many things for those who are serious about doing things right.

I have read with interest the responses on this subject and I have been looking into teaching opportunities in Thailand. Is it necessary to have a professional qualification/certificate in teaching English to obtain a job as I seem to be getting mixed feedback on this. Most of the courses in England are very expensive and from what I have been told little use when you actually arrive in Thailand. The opinion seems to be is that as long as you have a personality and can easily communicate to people then that can sometimes be better when teaching the locals than having a list of qualifications. Any assistance on this would be very must appreciated.

If you want to dip your toe into the pool of tefl teaching, I think your money is wasted on the ban pae course. It's overpriced for what you require.

Armed with your degree you will get you a job at most schools. Uni's normally require some form of formal training in tefl teaching.

A good cheap option is the TEFL1 course. Check out comments on ajarn.com and telfasia.com.

TEFL1 is accredited by chicester college UK.

Don't waste a 1000 quid on a course if you're only dabbling in the tefl life, especially if it's only Thailand you plan on living in. Your money will be wasted.

check out the websites I've mentioned before you spend your dollars!

good luck.

Sanook2me -- Thank you for your post. Although Thailand is the choice for now, I don't want to rule out teaching elsewhere in Asia for more money at some point. That is why I don't want to get stuck with something that is only good in Thailand, especially if I can get a job without it based on college degrees. Accreditation and/or validity is important if I'm going to shell out the money. I will check some of the other tefl or tesol options. Thanks.

Hi guys -- Have checked with ECC and they offer the following courses at reasonable, I think, prices. The TESOL course is $395, and the CELTA course is $1400. Do you current teachers consider the CELTA the best long term investment, leaving options open to teach elsewhere?

I read today that Thailands Prime Minister is more or less demanding that the Thais, especially the young, learn to speak English as if it were their native language. He feels that this will enable them to compete better in the business world, and to learn more as most information is in English. They have admitted that the Thai teachers are not prepared to handle this as they can't prepare proper course plans and can't pronounce many words correctly themselves. My question is this, do you think that this will force them to raise the salaries for degreed, certified native speakers to the level that it should be?