Useful tips for a visit to Vietnam wanted.

Confuscious

I will turn 70 this year and would like to do a trip to visit Vietnam.
- I am not a "nightlife" tourist and I don't fancy the "barlife".
- Top of the list are place like Ho-Chi-Minh and other places with rich cultural background.
- I can not do long walks or mount any high hills so I would need a place where transport is not difficult.
- Trip would be between 7 and 14 days.

Suggestions welcomed:
- Good hotels/gueshouses and prices.
- Financial tips (ATM available, what to take care off).
- What to avoid at all costs.

TIA

Def book your visa well in advance. We were promised a four day turnaround, it took eight and we had to write off a flight. 

Have heard 3 reports of Han Long Bay being mobbed with cruise ships and video's bare that out. 

Def worth a trip to the Obama/Bourdain noodle place (unless you are politically opposed). You can't toss a rock without hitting good noodles, but that one was worth a special trip.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, McTavish said:

Hanoi is our favourite destination and we'll return there next month to stay in the Old Quarter - from there we can branch out for a Halong Bay trip (very relaxing).   

We simply enjoy the foods and culture of which there's plenty to found in the north.  I'm older than you yet I still walk as much as possible and Hanoi is easy going - in fact it's difficult to pass up the many offers of a tuk tuk or taxi ride.

Any hotels to recommend?

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Any hotels to recommend?

Old quarter hotels are small, narrow due to the building codes of old.  Many are quite noisy from traffic below in the soi.  Concon House is an exception, fairly modern and quiet yet handy to everything.

There are more salubrious properties outside of OQ, though lacking in atmosphere. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I want to see (and take pictures) as much as possible from remains of the war in my years.

I had also planned a trip to Nagasaki/Hiroshima, but I don't know if I will make it.

Hanoi has a war museum, also the 'Hanoi Hilton' where the American POWS where detained. John McCain's flight suit is on display as he ditched in one of the many lakes.

HCMC also has a war museum, IMHO much better than the one in Hanoi. You can also visit Independence Palace which is around the corner.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Have never been to Vietnam but looking at Phu Quoc for some island beach time.  We have been living in Chiang Mai for the last 8 years and have hit all but Koh Phangan and Koh Lipe but COVID took out about 4 years of travel to neighboring countries.  Being only 1hr and 20min flight from BKK is enticing.  How is the island and if we wanted to get off the beaten path for food (as in authentic Viet food) where would we go?  More of a beach trip as a prelude for a longer trip in the future to see the cultural sights next time.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  As always, thanks in advance! 

I just arrived to Phu Quoc and can recommend to visit!

Main road is much better and wider. Safer side walk too.

Also, much less constant honking! Pre Covid trips was ruined by Vietnamese habit to lean on honk button 24/7.

People, specially young, speak near all some English and friendliness has been increased.

Customs were "walk through" w/o attitude officials.

Food is much better too! Nice surprise. Prices are low thanks to less Russians.

Sad thing to see is rampant over development... and increased dirtiness on side streets and alleys.

I love the place so far! Special thanks to Jomtien "place X" to encourage this trip. Money well spent and low blood pressure all the time.

• Thanks 2

Visiting Vietnam for us Vietnam Conflict Vets... first a day in Saigon (HCMC) visit the War Museum but be advised that the perspective is from North Vietnams eyes... we were the bad guys... they like us fine though because we lost they won... I then flew to Cam Rahn Bay and visited where I got shot... no big deal really... just something that I wanted to do... great seafood though... then hired a car and driver and travelled to De Lat... don't miss it... I would live there in a heartbeat... be sure to visit the 3D Museum... and have meals down by the city center lake... from there went to Hanoi... hustle and bustle big city... nice but not my cup of tea... plus... unless you want to spend the night on a "cruise" in the very polluted Han Long Bay with hundreds of other "cruise" boats all around I suggest skipping that particular "attraction"

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you go to live there get to know a real life "American Hero", John from Olympia, WA.

I've followed his postings w great interest. A good man who gets things done - American way.

He's saved so many lives with helmet donations.

https://ridingseasia.blogspot.com/2015/12/undercover-cops-ali-baba-photographers.html

https://ridingseasia.blogspot.co